Past expansion must haves

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jamesly12345, Jun 5, 2019.

1. jamesly12345 New Member

I started 3 heroic chars a few years ago (war/ench/clr) when EoK was released and got to 105 and got some AA. I only upgraded gear from what I looted and after a few year break (playing on TLPs) I wanted to come back to live and do EoK/RoS/TBL progression. Currently have EoK and want to complete that and get things done prior to buying TBL and moving through RoS/TBL.

With that said, there are a few things I've been reading about that I should to to help me and wanted input on if there are any other things I'm missing from previous expansions that are still relevant. I have little to no experience past TSS so even dumb things I may not know about (trophies). Primarily focused on things to help my warrior tank better.

Heroic AA (Fortitude, Vitality, Resolution)
    Trophies (both guild and personal)
    Dicho Spells (through rk3 group missions)
    Augs (AC augs from EoK, type 5 augs from TBM currency)
    Farming a reliable amount of power sources
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. Morthakia Augur

Heroic Chars do get defaulted Trials of Mata Muram. DON Rank 4 AA will be good enough for the time being as you don’t get Rank 5 until you go through literally 100% of DON progression! Ugh.

Tears of Alaris — as a tank, these are super helpful. You don’t need to take it up to level 20, but consider at least getting it and leveling it up to level 3 to have a base +defense with little time invested.

Icy Prism of Avoidance from LDON Everfrost for 760 currency. Beat a handful of a LDONs on hard and then buy it.

Frozen Shard of Enhanced Protection from LDON Miragul’s Menagerie (sp?) raid. There is a multi day lockout so you may as well start farming this now. It’s a 35ac aug that can go in type 5 slots. Basically — put it in your tank’s shield.

Potions / stat food. TBL food and Gorowyn’s Fortified Drink should help as well.

You’re definitely on the right track to “prepare yourself” for ROS/TBL. You’re going to get smoked if you try to waltz into RoS/TBL with TBM geared tank!
    I has a bucket likes this.
  4. Drayman Elder

I think they do because I have them on my SK who is a heroic character and he has never set foot in DON.
  5. Morigaine Elder

Recently evaluated the DoN progression with a friends heroic toon. They get 4 of the 5 ranks as part of the heroic. They also get the faction boosted to allow you to request the Vishimitar task. So if you have a friend who can help or know the encounter you can knock out the 5th rank really easily. The other thing to know is that the faction granted will be based on your race. Evil races will be granted Dark Reign by default.

So Drayman I would be curious if you still need the 5th rank. I would think so unless something weird happened or if how it worked changed over time.
  6. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Rank 5 of DoN is pretty easy, you just need to kill Vish which isn't hard. Instead of Icy Prism of Avoidance I would get Stone of Judgement from Plane of War. It's a higher % Dodge aug.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

Avoidance aug from POW is very nice also and should be attainable with your group. Could knock out the flagging process fairly fast if you can obtain the bows.
  8. Morthakia Augur

I agree that the Stone of Judgement is a better aug, but it is a 2% difference and requires one to do PoWar Field of Strife flagging instead of spending 1 hour and steamrolling a half dozen LDONs. So if the OP is looking to apply the “80/20 rule” — definitely go with the Icy Prism of Avoidance. If the OP is looking for the highest possible benefit, Stone of Judgement and PoWar Strife flagging is best!
  9. DaciksBB Augur

Tear of Alaris is a massive time sink for a meh reward. Put that at the very back of the list if you put it there at all. You're better off investing that time in doing GoD progression for the BiC to put in your bow's slot 4 and getting the previously mentioned LDoN AC aug.
  10. Morthakia Augur

Serious question, have you parsed the +10 to defense skill from the Tears? I imagine it has been done at some point in the past. Would love to see what the data suggests.
  11. DaciksBB Augur

I have not, I only saw the +1 mitigation and +39 avoidance AC from getting it. Mostly just takes way too long
    Nennius likes this.
  12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

To put it in another way: the Tears of Alaris are strictly for min//maxers
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Guilty as charged. It was a pain.
  14. Sylence New Member

In my experience it is unpareseable. My SK tanking for 8 hours with it and tanking for 8 hours without it, no significant difference. Its too bad, because it should be a nice quest piece, but truth is no reward.