Favorite races lore and why?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Questoften32, Sep 11, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

Any small character. I hate attacking mobs that are at m feet that I can't see. It also "feels" like I get the "cannot attack from here" message more often on larger races.
    code-zero likes this.
  2. Questoften32 Augur

Like to see an imaginative fellow! Baldurs Gate!? and with good taste in games, or so it would seem.Thank you for posting. :)

I myself never play gnomes are dwarfs ''for fear of little men''...haha could not resist...yet dwarfs certainty have there place in fantasy, even in grim fairy tales!

I like Erudites, the idea of them... but prefer the eq2 soga model. I wish they were more like that in this game, my main game, then I could make one. I suspect they evolved as a race by the years of eq2.

My dwarf rp insights:

Dwarfs as a race and almost down to a man, are die hard, and strong will individualist.

There element is the earth. While not to lovely themselves they have been known to create beauty with there skills but tend to horde it.

Dwarfs are very possessive and loath deception, hating tricksters.

For religion they tend to worship the lords of the deep earth, out of respect, personal compatibility and for fortune and favor as well as safe passage.

Dwarfs loath a thief and will viciously fight to the death to get there own back.
  3. Zunnoab Augur

I love the Vah Shir and while I'd be lying if I didn't admit the whole "cat people" thing is a large part of it, I also really like the fact they are supposed to be smart. While the goodly neutral thing was likely just a function of Shadows of Luclin game play I also like the notion the Vah Shir hate necromancy and such but judge the individual rather than the class.
    The whole possible conspiracy with the Erudites intentionally targeting the Vah Shir because they saw the kerra civilization as an emerging threat for dominance is fascinating as well.

The angle with "agnostic but acknowledge the gods are powerful beings just not divine" is something I like too. It makes me wonder if one holding an ideal to the point similar to worship would be enough to perform as a paladin or cleric or other such class, or if outright worship is required. That is moot because Vah Shir must be totally agnostic in EQ1, but it's an interesting question with EQ2 kerra I think (my cleric Zunnar is named after my EQ2 kerra cleric).

Shar Vahl is not perfect, of course, but I think the lore is interesting and I like when the stereotypical "noble savage" angle is avoided with animal-like races. It is a lore reason (getting nuked to the moon for one) and not one of cognitive ability that dictates Vah Shir aren't wizards and such.
  4. taliefer Augur

favorite are half elves, i love the wanderlust/gypsy aspect and that feeling of not quite belonging anywhere was rife with RP potential back when i was still into that on EQ. half elfs took a hit with the luclin models tho, one of the worst conversions in the game.

Ogres are the opposite, i love the luclin ogre model compared to the koolaid main old school ogres.

Drakkin would likely top half elves, so much cool stuff done with them...but the melee combat animations are absolutely atrocious. the head duck on every swing is just so, so bad. and they are are herky jerky. if these could be cleaned up, id prolly make every character that could be a drakkin.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. fransisco Augur

This
    Original ogre/troll models were SOO BAD! :eek:
  6. Gnomereaper Augur

Iksar easily. Racial epics and so forth. The Vah Shir as a race had racial cloaks, but they were never finished as quests.
  7. HULKMAN Lorekeeper

Be a ogre or Troll and you never have to worry about being small in a fight .
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

I started right after PoP and the first character I made was a no brainer when I seen the Trolls. I still think they are the most awesome looking race made for EQ. The old models look stupid and I hope to never see em again. The troll women on the other hand.......ughhh No wonder I had to marry a High Elf.
    fransisco likes this.
  9. Arraden Augur

Yay for the Oxford comma ;-)

Dark Elves are literally my favourite - for the lore, for the models, for the starting city, for the general evilness.

I started playing as a halfling back in 2001. I would never go back.
  10. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

....as hate grew in the lands of tunaria, innoruuk evolved into norrath and built the caves of neriak...unleashing his dark elves into existance.
  11. Questoften32 Augur

Yeah but at least, in my opinion, they always seem to have this slight glum expression on there face that makes the dark elf player-character always feel....how should I put this: a little blue.
    Arraden likes this.
  12. Arraden Augur

hehe
    Not "a little blue" as such.. my experience... a little impatient :D;)
  13. Treiln Augur

Someone of like mind and heart.

Innorruuk get's pissed, steals Tunare's children, and torturers them for 3 millennia, reshaping them into his own vision......every main I've ever had has been a blueberry for this reason alone.

Second up: Ikkies...who doesn't love being a lizard!
  14. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Wood elves and Drakkin. hands down my 2 favorite races. I adore Kelethin, Bardspeed through those treetops without falling and you can run anywhere in game. The old armor quests, racial fletching, and of course, who could resist 50 foraging at level 1 back in the day when food was hard to come by? Fighting the mean orcs from Clan Crushbone trying to invade our forests?! OMG.. And I cannot remember how many times I saw "TRAAAAAAAAAAIIIINNN TO ZONE! D'Vinn and Crush are LOOSE!!!!!" (freely admit I loathe the weird helmet thing on top of their heads though..)

Drakkin? by far the best looking base armor if you hit the sweet spot on the colors, especially for robe wearing classes. Following different "parent" dragons? The TON of lore specific quests... The whole TSS expansion was probably the best thought out expansion followed by my personal favorite LDoN..
    code-zero likes this.
  15. DonK101st New Member

16. Lenivaya Journeyman

Considering I have the iksar crest tattooed on my shoulder.
    Uh. Iksar.
    IblisTheMage likes this.