Best AA xp spots for a 110 group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by kenshon, May 30, 2019.

1. kenshon Journeyman

Have ranger headshotting and berserker, so FM sarnak forts are pretty good. Can non-stop pull endlessly and warrior can hold down 3-4 mobs at a time to minimize pulling time per mob. If everything is smooth, can average nearly 30 seconds per kill.

Moved to Overthere and it was considerably slower -- mobs have nearly twice the hp, can't headshot, and I waste a ton of time running around pulling mobs to camp.

I read somewhere on the forums that these might be worth trying?
    • GMM (darkness howls?)
    • Sathir's Tomb
    What have y'all found to be good spots for AA'ing? FM is headshottable, but am open to moving somewhere that's not if it yields more AA/hr.

Context -- I'm running ranger/war/bard/ber/sham/merc-cleric. Ranger has all bow damage AAs. Warrior has 220k hp, most survivability AAs, no dps AAs. Rest of my team are beginner tier.
  2. Allayna Augur

GMM > all others for risk v. reward.

Pet tank, real tank, leather tank, hell cloth tank it.
  3. Tucoh Augur

GMM is a gold-mine of XP.

Give the darkness howls instance a try, and compare that with grinding orcs in the south part of the zone. The static orcs are a bit tougher, but I think they give better XP.
  4. Dewey Augur

Gmm is great for AA XP. On a side note if you are not maxed AA I suggest going back and doing all the collects from COTF to TBL. It's 12AA a pop and it's needed for the shoulder Chase items. The AAs add up quickly.
  5. forbes77 Elder

RoF to Tbl for collections for AA :)
  6. feeltheburn Augur

GMM far and away, mobs arent NEARLY as hard, the xp is there and if you have a chanter? its almost trivial, can grab multiples at a time with ease.
  7. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

GMM is great xp. usually go with my ranger and enc since you can get bad pulls in places even with harmonious arrow. I usually fight 2-3 at a time. lot easier than the normal gmm zone 20k hits vs 30k. Great place to burn lotd.

Andarriel
  8. Warpeace Augur

Pathing is horrible there in places.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

That is true in spots usually were the howlers spawns in that area sometimes u pull something far and they climb over the hills and agro everything take awhile to get to you. that happened 1st time I killed name course now i know how to do that zone pretty good now.

Andarriel
  10. Dewey Augur

Ya don't need Rain of fear for the shoulders and it's annoying since some of them you can't do(Unless you got the collectors edition) So I skip it and it should be the last one anyone does if they are catching up.
  11. Nifty Slacker Augur

I'm going to go with GMM "darkness howls" as well. It doesn't require any pre quests to request darkness howls, and GMM is an easy zone to get to. I usually run through steamfont and then dragonscale hills because I usually crash at the small guild hall. If you can use a large guild hall, you can port directly to dragonscale.

The mobs in darkness howls are incredibly easy to tank compared to RoS and TBL mobs. I think they hit slightly harder than EoK trash mobs, but I usually tank several at a time. After a few runs of darkness howls it will be a cakewalk with your bards aoe mez. You'll also get loot at the end of the mission and about 11 aa's. You'll get about 22 if you are burning lesson when you open the chest.

If you have 220k hp with cleric and shaman buffs, I'm sure there are many upgrades to be had in GMM. There is a 3 hour lockout, but you can drop the task and reget it as long as you don't open the chest. I imagine you'll want the loot though, but it's still an option.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. kenshon Journeyman

Tried GMM for the first time today. My observations with the group (and the 220k hp tank):

1. Darkness Howls was decently good XP. I'll need to measure aaxp / hr once I have a better rhythm down. Do mobs respawn in the adventure in the southern part of zone?

2. The static zone owns me. Warrior died tanking just 2 mobs at same time, even with Culminating Stand and Pain Doesn't Hurt up. In Darkness Howls, was tanking 4 mobs no problem, just with fast cooldown defensives.

3. The part where you climb the mountain was a total pain with a boxed group on auto-follow. When all the orcweres are clumped together, I had to give up.

4. Spent a ton more time trying to manage a moving boxed group, as expected. I think there's a lot to learn about how to efficiently XP with this many accounts.
  13. kenshon Journeyman

Update: ~40 aaxp for a lesson burn when killing mobs in Darkness Howls.
  14. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

1. No respawns in instance

3. Leave your crew down below and just pull toward the group. Fade when you get close and pick up 1-2. Rinse and repeat. I usually do the mission with a paladin (top group geared and max aas) and 5 other toons of various types that only add dps. Figuring out your sweet spot for number of mobs at once is vital, and just stick with that.

4. Once you go through it once (if you haven't actually completed the mission, go with someone else and at least see where everything spawns), you will learn to position your group (I only go up the mountain on the last part before the southern area). Don't be afraid to use cc to make the pulls easy. Dead don't dps…
  15. Allayna Augur

40 AA is low.

Are you killing non-mission NPCs? They give zero xp.

Are you clearing every last orc?
  16. Nylrem Augur

Seems like maybe something's wrong...

30s or more per kill on FM headshottable mobs seems pretty low DPS. I've seen solo rangers killing faster than that... With your group, I would think should be around 10s average per kill.

Going to have to guess about a couple things...

You're not using [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], or if so, not well. $50 a year... And you'll triple or quadruple your group's DPS, once set up and using properly, over alt tabbing or whatever.

You don't cycle everything on every toon, keeping all AA, epic clicks, CoP clickies on each toon rotated, all DPS stuff from every toon on cooldown.

Warrior, shaman, and bard all should be sustaining around 100k DPS each, DPS toons twice that or more...

Last time I ran darkness howls, pretty sure I got over 100AA.

Completed it in 15 min, with raid geared pally, 4 DPS, and a merc. Pally told me he's completed in 10.5 min with 5 DPS toons and no merc.

Ya, what someone else said... if you're boxing a bard, why in the world would you ever have more mobs in camp than you can handle?

Run bard to pull orcs from 3rd spot, to group that stays at second spot. Pull the number your tank can handle. Once you run the path a few times from second to third spot, bard can get there and back quickly. Run around to LEFT from second spot, then angle up and right up mountain, to 3rd spot.

Autofollow sux, terribly in game.... Horrible. And GMM is the worst.

IMO, drop merc and add magician to group. Group CoH invaluable to box group. Plus, magician much better DPS than healer merc, and shaman heals are more than enough, in group content.
  17. Nylrem Augur

LOL it edited it... gonna try it this way... I S B o x e r
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Climbing the mountain part of the mission is the toughest because there so clumped together. If your just burning lotd I just do the first part of task then go to were the howlers and named spawn and kill everything. Only kill orcs as everything else gives no xp. Usually with my ranger I can just kill all the mobs in time with like a min to spare. the howler mobs wont actually be there yet so if you do it this way when you get to were you need to kill the howlers you will have them and named or phs up makes it easier in the long run if your gonna finish the mission. I never had to many problems tanking think merc buffed my ranger was near 247k hps with a slow belt although gonna try the new gmm fractured gear set since its got overdrive punch and boon of the seeress. This mission is a great place to upgrade gear what I did for three chars lol and you can keep redoing because you will want to max all the luck gear to 5. Also if you do the parts with to many mobs come at a time even with harmonious arrow I either cover track or use the weaponshield disc right away. Not because im afraid of dying its because healer merc gets agro way to fast and its hard to save them. You will be using a lot of aa disc one of the good ones if ws is down is outrider's evasion. I died many times but you will find out what works and doesn't. I also have many portals, drunken stein and planar overdose and goodthing is you can bind chars near the quest guy in gmm. Well goodluck and im sure gonna try a gmm with new belt been bout a month since ive done it got gmm burned out lol.

Andarriel

ps sorry for the tough read :) if your on fv let me know. also make sure ranger has roaring blades on sometimes procs thunderclap which comes in handy.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea my ranger gets like 100 per mission last I remembered pretty nice.

Andarriel
  20. kenshon Journeyman

My sustains:

Berserker is around 100k when I'm not hitting burns.
    War 50k. Keeping brutal, mighty, war sheol's, spire, etc. on cooldown.
    Ranger 50k. Autofire + keeping 3 arrow spells and discs/pureshot/aas on cooldown, but not casting summers.
    Bard and shaman 0k. On auto-follow.

You are right on software. I'm alt-tabbing and so can barely keep up with the first 3 toons.

You're quoting DPS for my first 3 chars that is 2x what I'm able to do today...

I have no epics, no DPS AAs besides autogrant on the ber/war/bard/sham.