Devs - can we do something about the leveling process

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ntellect, May 24, 2019.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Frontier Mountains.

Rather then give 1 person faster way to level up alts..

I'd rather the devs concentrate on new content and new stuff for everyone..

That's where I stand. Any time a very limited # of people could negatively effect the next launch of new content with very very limited people targeted updates like this.. I'll say nope pls dont so it.

Your not even thinking of how this will absolutely effect all the tlp servers negatively.. and yea it absolutely will.. dont kid yourself for your own agenda it will hurt those servers..

New content (for everyone) over old content updates (for limited players) that will negatively effect the tlp population as well..

I do not think this whole begging thread was very well thought out..
  2. Aurastrider Augur

You are kidding me about the TLP servers right? The same community that complained over and over again about the xp rates on Selo until it got adjusted and more than once I believe. The same community that historically has mostly avoided post POP content like the plague. You mean to tell me you actually think those players are going to complain if leveling is faster later on so they can hopefully recruit someone on their dying server? Sorry not buying what you are selling here.
  3. Coppercoz Augur

I can understand the sentiment from vets who have put in the massive days played on the character, but this is still a game. Long grinds through those middle levels by yourself (and you better just plan to be by yourself) isn't fun nor particularly helpful in learning end game mechanics. Grinds are just doing something over and over. All you do with this terrible design is push people away from joining the majority of the server. I can't count how many level 70 something characters I have across live servers. The leveling curve is way too sharp there and the game loses its appeal. Yea, you can get PL by guildies, but feeling like dead weight for a long time isn't appealing to me either.

And worrying about bad players in PUG has been around since the beginning of eq. The simple answer to that is write their name down.

I think the leveling up to 90 percent of max level should be pretty straightforward.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

Actually the simple way round bad players ..

Is there exact way it's done now..

Yet there are those like in this thread whom want a faster way to lvl to 110 to be known as poor players in an entirely new class
  5. Maurasi Journeyman

I have a very simple suggestion. Make the hotzones actually work. Some people may remember something called 'the Kunark Express'. It was a group of zones seemingly designed to support several groups who could all pull nonstop and advance consistently. Overthere and the Dreadlands were probably the best examples of this design strategy. Those were "hot zones" in the truest sense, even if they preceded the official designation. The zones that are chosen now seem random, as if I'm opening a gold player pack in Madden and expecting 99 overall players. Randomizing zone selection is obviously done to take another thing off some developer's plate (automation!), I get that. But if you give people a reason to congregate in certain places, groups will be formed far more often and even at odd hours.

Though I've also wondered why they don't just steal the megaserver tech from DCUO. Smash all the live servers together and just keep the TLPs separate. Turn the server drama up to 11, with a rants and flames section on the forum. :p

No dog in this fight though since I mainly box.
  6. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Do people still die in FM? To what? :D
    Whulfgar likes this.
  7. ntellect Augur

Another logical argument that supplements mine.
  8. ntellect Augur

Please stop assuming what I am thinking. No one said they didn't want to put effort in the game. if I didnt want to put effort in 1) I wouldn't have created this post, because I wouldn't care and 2) I wouldnt be playing since 2012. I am not even going to address the rest of your first paragraph because it has absolutely nothing to do what I am talking about.

And as for your second paragraph I'm at a loss of what point you are making. No one said you can't level from the 70s the 110. Its about the scale of leveling that falls off in the 70s. its brutal and unecessary especially considering there is no one there to really play with. Or put another way. If 70 was max level there wouldn't be an issue since all max level players would be around to play with.

The existing leveling system is not fine its broken, you just happen to like it. It can be fixed without it being "easy" or "fast" but that is up to the developers to investigate. I'm just calling it out.
  9. Son_of_a_Bixie New Member

This just isn't true. Not the "very easily" part anyway. I play TLPs because my attempts at jumping back into EQ...even on an old level 83 toon I used to play...was just too much. Too frustrating. Too much that needs to be done to be even borderline relevant, too much to be learned to be borderline competent and too few resources to explain any of it. You can say I'm bad, or stupid or lazy...and that's fine, whatever makes you feel good...but I have no intention of playing the Live game***. Many people feel like I do and this is not speculation but based on 2 years worth of hearing it from many, many people on TLPs. Now to be fair, there's many reasons people on TLPs have no interest in Live but I'm here to say many would try, myself included, if catching up (in terms of levels, gear and knowledge) weren't so cumbersome and lonely. Is it possible to level up? I have no doubt that it is, in fact, entirely possible. Would it be anything close to fun? Probably not or you'd see more people doing it. Would it be "very easy"? I just can't see how.

*** actually I'd love nothing more than for my TLP to make it to Live so that I can meaningfully participate in Live EQ. TLP is my personal solution for catching up and whereas it is a comprehensive re-education and re-insertion its not really very efficient. And TLPs don't exactly have a good track record of making it to Live in a useful state.
  10. Quill Augur

Ya... . Get yourself one more box/character... war/shaman works just fine but YMMV, and you can go pretty much all the way up without issue.

The problem is that people just want to blast 110. That isn't how this game works. Its broken up into three separate stages. Early, Mid-game, Current.

Early... just get 70... if you don't know how this isn't the game for you.

Mid-game... you want TBM and Gribbles missions. There is no other realistic way and both can be done in two-box. Make sure you work AA as you go, don't blow through levels, freeze for a period while you get core early stuff that isn't auto-granted. You can do 100 AA in a couple hours easy off Gribbles and TBM.

Current... you should be able to easily get to 110 with the gear you worked from 70-100 and be able to look around for groups in xp areas. Now work progression and what not. Always focus on getting gear. Things *are not*

If you don't understand any of that and just wantz to pl'z the 110. Good Luck With That and Get Help to push you through it. Also realize you're crippling your characters ability to generate AA without solid groups. If you think its bad pushing 110, try pushing AA's @ 110 without help lol.

But needless to say the game won't come to you, there will be knowledge and certain things(J5 mercs, etc), you have to obtain along the way.

As an example... I did a war/shm on FV with no krono spent near the start of the year just for kicks and for a month or two, and currently it has like 16 days /played at level 100 and 3395 AA Spent (13209 assigned). Pretty much all the early AA were bought. It was all done in two-box. It isn't that hard.
  11. enclee Augur

Yikes, 400 hours for a couple of level 100's with a few thousand AAs on the server that has a permanent experience bonus.
  12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You all can criticize and leet each other to death all you want but the fact remains: We're an old player base that won't be around forever. We need new players and starting this game from scratch, knowing no one is beyond a daunting task. How many people do you think are willing to drop $35 on day one to make an 85 character that still has you mostly useless to max level players - never mind the ramifications of having a new player that hasn't learned at all how to play their toon?

A solution to the leveling issue for new and returning players does at some point need solving.
    Deepwood and BlueberryWerewolf like this.
  13. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Also throw on top of it these tryhard heroes yelling about how the new player just needs to git gud.
  14. Quill Augur

And? That was also over the span of a couple months playing like 1-2 hours on a night here and there and starting from level 1. It would have gone faster if I gave a (haven't really played since). After all, I could have just hero'd a couple chars to 85 :p.

They're also fully geared to 100. Zero help. Zero Krono.

If I was actually serious about playing(i'm not), i'd play the mains. I would have given the new TLP's a serious try, but they went Turd Box, so not much point. There will never be another time that I spend any length of time LFG trying to hunt down groups in EQ.

The point per the OP was claiming 1-110(presumably on Live) is impossible. Its impossible because the game is heavily gear dependent and doesn't take kindly to simply trying to frog-march to 110. Even if you do do that, you likely cripple the character without *a lot* of help to fix it.

75-100 in the current game is the single quickest way to just simply blast out that early AA that you don't get from AG that you really don't want to have to do later. It is the quickest means to that end and will also help your character's ability to both survive and kill stuff.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

So just git gud. nuff said /tease..
  16. Allayna Augur

Well they certainly don't git gud by being given a golden carrot 110 level toon. Learn to play, ask the community for help, as I've stated previously, it is unbearable to invite someone to group and they don't know how to get to a single zone in the current expansion or any expansion. Experience comes with time, not immediate gratification.
  17. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Experience comes with being able to experience things.

If you won't accept a player who doesn't already know everything and you won't give a player an opportunity to learn everything before they have the privilege of meeting you, what do you expect will happen?

No one here is asking for a free ride to 110. They are asking for a viable path to 110 that involves playing with other people. Currently there is a path to 85 and then a gap for 15-20 levels where on one side it's tedious moloing of Light Blue cons and on the other a wall of super pros yelling at you to git gud.
  18. enclee Augur

You crack me up with this line, right here, lol.

This thread has been to discuss ways to facilitate incorporating returning players back into the general population without just handing things to people. Players still need to struggle, and the developers have to consider how the content is going to be experienced once the expansion is no longer current.
  19. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

For 70$ on FV, completely legitimate with a heroic character and 2 kronos, you can go from nothing to 106+ in a single day. Gear is another issue but not an insurmountable issue. For another 5 to 6 kronos you have full set of T3 group vis from TBL. No raid focus, but HP and AC that will make all of EOK trivial and most of ROS. (Maybe all if you don't completely suck).

Let's say your first character is a SK. Add a shaman with a similar financial commitment, and you now have enough to easily grind AAs in what is still the best AA exp grind zone in the same (Sathirs tomb).

I still think I am under 300 to 400$ for two characters...again, completely legit and within EULA. AND....I'm the master of all I need to be for the group game.

The cool thing is that $$$ alone doesn't really allow you to win if you, well, suck....

But the long grind is just a figment of peoples' imaginations. Quests and Progression are where the real grind is....not the levels\AAs.
  20. forbes77 Elder

Another expansion like Tss would be great.