Went to bed with a 86 ranger, woke up with a 91 ranger.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kogmaw, May 28, 2019.

1. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

Hell yes i said thank you! Im going to offer him my first born for what he did!! And if hes willing to PL my other toons I'll be very happy to let him! As long as my account is in good standing. And to be honest I don't care if he's a botter!
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This has a lot of grey area.

Is it ok to AFK in the guild lobby?
    Is it ok to AFK in the guild lobby and get buffs?
    Is it ok to AFK in the guild lobby while someone else is getting you quest/mission achievements?
    Is it ok to AFK in the guild lobby while someone else is getting you hunter?

I'd assume AFK while selling in the bazaar is fine as we have the offline mode which does this too.

I don't think many players can say they have never AFKed in a group while killing was going on. Toilet breaks, phone calls, knocks at the door etc all happen mid grouping for many if not all groups, the group don't stop killing just because 1 person has to AFK.

I seriously think Daybreak will not ban anyone as long as there is at least 1 person in the group activly doing something.
  3. Allayna Augur

4. IblisTheMage Augur

Worst case scenario: group gets banned; OP was not at the keyboard to prove that he was not AFK, so no distinction made from GMs.

Low likelihood, but not unthinkable.

6 hours PL from 86 to 91? Slacker :-D
  5. svann Augur

Hope you had protection.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

Every geriatric nursing home patients dream.... Just replace 86 and 91 with 21 and ranger with nurse of course.
  7. Tucoh Augur

If that isn't confusing enough, DBG changed their policy on third party programs last year and it's effectively impossible to use their stated policy to guide what is and isn't allowable.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/technical-question.250701/page-5#post-3689013

As someone who heavily uses third party applications like GINA/Gamparse to play EQ and see many threads on the TLP forums talking about botters running amok, I'm pretty sure it's the wild-west when it comes to AFK behavior and any stated policy of DBG has no bearing on enforced policy in EQ.
    Mediik, Metanis and Whulfgar like this.
  8. Bumkus Elder

I don't think programs that look at logs have ever been an issue. Now programs that read the raw game data and make modifications to warp your character around, for example, are definitely illegal. Where it gets iffy to me is 3rd party programs that cause a single button press to trigger actions across multiple toons. i'm not saying it wouldn't be useful to press one button and have 5 wizards cast nukes simultaneously, but it feels too close to the edge for me. I avoid those programs.
  9. Leigo You come here often?

broadcasting isn't doing something that will get you banned. you have to press the button, that's an action taken by the player at the keys.. Not a program pressing buttons.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

Question for ya.

If dbg revised their 3rd party program rules to negate anything that allowed your set up to work .

How deeply would it effect your set up would you still need able to box as effectively or would it be a totally different game then ? Would you even still play ?
  11. Tucoh Augur

EQ is a very unique game that provides interesting challenges to players due to its many stratified layers of gameplay built from decades of cruft that its devs have never had the time to clean up. This is magnified by boxing setups that build on the group-centric combat to create ridiculously detailed and powerful teams that have nearly boundless optimizations that can be done.

I've gotten pretty far up the mountain of perfect execution with my current setup using basic broadcast keys, and if DBG punted me down the mountain to where I had to go back to alt-tabbing, multiple keyboards etc I'd be massively stunted and wouldn't be able to even enjoy the game. I'd quit immediately.

Then a few months later I'd get the itch, work around literally anything they built and find a way to far exceed where I'm at now.

code-zero, IblisTheMage and Whulfgar like this.
  12. Annastasya Augur

Life tip : If you feel the need to ask if it is okay, it is NOT okay. That's your conscience trying to correct your behavior.
    Mediik likes this.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

All's fair in love, war, and scripting!
  14. Aurastrider Augur

I actually took a 2 month break after that announcement sending in clarification request after request to multiple GM's but kept getting the same generic stock response that sent me back to the thread that created all the questions to begin with. I finally shot Rox an email on here asking for clarification on broadcasting on non true box servers and where it falls within the rules. She stated it was fine as long as the user was at the keyboard providing all input.

For me it was a deal breaker and I was willing to throw in the towel. ISB has provided me with the most fun I have had playing this game ever and to take it away when I am usually hanging by myself in empty zones minding my own business would leave a bad taste in my mouth especially after it had been commented on previously by the reds that it was ok to use broadcasting. I would have never accumulated so many accounts, spent the amount of money I have, and devoted so much time into them without ISB and if they took that away from me I would not continue to support them out of principle.
    Tucoh and Metanis like this.
  15. Scorrpio Augur

Well, yeah. Kinda. Sorta.
    Gotta say this: if the group runner was indeed AFK botting, and a GM showed up, sent a couple tells to *every* toon in the group (including OP's ranger) and got no response from any, the outcome might have been unpleasant, OP included.

If you suspect you are being PLed but an AFK bot group, either:
    Disband yourself before going to bed or
    Hang around and be ready to answer GM's tells with a cheery "oh yeah I am right here". And hope GM is too busy to ask you to reply from all other toons...
  16. Mediik Augur

I love this thread in different ways.
    1. It points to flaws if the rules are rigidly applied.
    2. The fact that your still posting proves the laws are not rigidly applied.

Enjoy EQ man. :)
  17. jeskola pheerie

I swear, your honor, I didn't know what I did was illegal! I should get off scot free now, right?
  18. Verily Tjark Augur

I want to go to bed and wake up with a fully evolved set of gear... I prob wouldn't tell you people about it tho.
    Brohg likes this.