Played this game a long time and i have never seen anything like what i experienced in gorukar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Quetharin, May 23, 2019.

1. Quetharin New Member

ive played this game a long time, since kunark came out, that was what two companies ago when verant ran things? Anyway, Ive been trying to get this serpents charm for one of my toons, and, i thought that going into gorukar one of these things i needed for the charm would be fairly easy to get, but it turned into a nightmare fast of endless aggro, i was trying to get something from the algae covered stone you need for it, its a ground spawn you open. The aggro would not quit, i was fairly certain my lev 82 wizard would deal with it fine. Wrong, even with aoes the aggro would not quit. it could not hurt him but the ground spawn doesnt let you loot it with any aggro creatures around, which bites royally since you cant get it loot and run. But the nightmare of this endless aggro disaster made me really angry. I dont know who designed the encounter, or whether daybreak has messed with it since, but i was ready to throw my keyboard through my window, i mean theres a point where, the aggro respawn is too fast and here its way too fast, way too much and quite frankly was of the worst designed encounters iver ever seen in the game. Its not so much designed to challenge, as frustrate, grief and otherwise cause you to swear 80 times before 10 seconds is through with tourretts syndrome. I think this encounter honestly was designed with not challenge, not fun, but player griefing in mind. I honestly believe that was the mindset of the dev who made the encounter as crazy as it sounds. His or her view was i would really love to make a player suffer, and suffer alot, thats what i believe they were thinking deep inside, just how cruel can i make it for the player, probably and honestly with approval for just that sort of cruelty from the top, its all about the buck after all but this encounter taught me that games like this, minecraft notably, and others are increasingly relying on mental torture as opposed to a good challenge, for them i think they cant distinguish, original eq was king of the grief torture mentality where you have none of the niceties you have today, so the game today isnt a total disaster and actually fun sometimes, when it isnt anti soloer, where forced grouping is the point. so many people solo in this game, they dont want a group, not ever, and im pretty much one of those unless there is absolutely no other way to get it done. I remember a vox raid i ran and it gave me a migraine trying to keep track of the 20 people it then needed to kill vox, not the 1 level 114 it requires today lol. i honestly believe that they get a sick perverse pleasure off of players endlessly dying or suffering as a result of the way they designed the encounter, just a game you say, yeah i know that, but its supposed to be about enjoyment no being pissed off and aggravated and this sick mindset has permeated gaming for longer then i care for, whereas it feels like a sick pleasure sort of thing from the designers. im not asking for easy, im asking for sensible balance, not the devs ego and sick way of enjoyment as the devs core motivation. For all the aggravation over the years, this rant is well deserved, there have been times i quit for years at a time, because the game i loved was really being turned into a suffering factory, where anything truly good pretty much comes at a cost of your sanity, or a stroke, or several excedrins literally later. If you cant design challenging and balanced but enjoyable encounters devs, get out of the business, but dont make player suffering your goal! I dont know if any game company understands balance and challenge and fun in the same concept anymore, but maybe just maybe theres a small chance you never know!!!
  2. svann Augur

Is this an attempt at AI composition?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Anglesy like this.
  3. Krool Lorekeeper

I read half of the first line about playing the game a long time and gave up after.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

Let's be kind. People from all over the world play this game. Not all of them can be fluent in English or be expected to understand paragraphs.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Anglesy like this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

I wish I was level 114...
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This was one tricky part of that charm. Took a while to figure it out but yeah it can be hard but it can be done.

It sounds like you got stuck in a loop.
  7. Ezbro Elder

TL;DR?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. GNOME_POWER Augur

This sounds like the lyrics.
    Is a new song created?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Schadenfreude Augur

Buff up as best you can including whatever runes Wizards get.
    Make sure you have Advanced Loot on.
    (Optional: summon a Cleric merc. If All Access put them on Reactive)
    Cast invis. I couldn't find anything in the area that saw invis.
    Go to the centre of the pond and target the algae-covered stones manually or using /target.
    Have your best evac option ready. You most likely have an instant cast AA.
    Type /open with the algae-covered stones targeted.
    Cracked Waterspring Scepter will now pop up on your advloot list.
    If you are unlucky and mobs in the water aggro immediately mash that evac key.
    (Optional: If you are lucky and nothing attacks immediately use your best invis AA/spell.)
    Click loot at your leisure.
  10. code-zero Augur

I'm not sure but I believe that you can add Always Need to your advloot settings so that as soon as the thing pops up you'll already have looted it so you can jump right to evac
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

This wall of text could have kept the Night King at bay.
    Abitrator, Ezbro, Allayna and 4 others like this.
  12. KermittheFroglok Augur

The aggro in this quest (and how to work around it) has been a known issue for over a decade. But I think the posts above have already explained what to do. But here’s the ZAM link if you’re still struggling.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3666

Good luck! (If this wasn’t written by a robot)
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Edited for readability and a little fun.....
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

A suffering factory people! Suffer this weekend with 50% additional experience.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The first half of your statement is correct. The second part is not.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

I w
    I was attempting to be kind and understanding. Isn't that one of the great mantras of this age?
  17. Bamboompow Augur

Past ages yes. This age? No.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Your Sarcasm awareness skill has decreased. (1)
    Shanarias likes this.
  19. Abitrator New Member

Hmm his basic premise that some devs may have sadistic streaks may have some truth to it. Sadism might even be necessary to design a "challenging" game.

The flip side of being pissed off and aggravated by losing is the adrenalish rush and unalloyed pleasure when you or your guild finally beats an encounter. The two emotions are two sides of the same coin, I think. There are lots of axioms in life tied to this: nothing worthwhile comes cheap, etc.
  20. Kidiani Journeyman

Well if you have been playing since Kunark you have not learned much about the game unless I am missing something. I just did this in all of about 10 min.

Shroud to a level 5 rog or whatever use invis pot if you need. Shrouding is so your death doesn't matter. Could also just res later. Make sure you are using advance loot. Go up to pile of rocks type /open hit enter, the loot pops in advloot window you die. Release back to bind, zone back into Goru'Kar Mesa and loot from advloot window. /shrug