Your Capcha program sucks hind side.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by everforums, Jul 24, 2018.

1. everforums New Member

EQ, can you please update your Capcha program? It really sucks @#@%. I have on a number of occasions had to click through 10+ windows before it finally recognizes me as 'not a bot'. And this is unacceptable. And frankly, the captcha questions are sometimes ambiguous. I'm suppose to click all the road signs. Does this mean just the square area itself, or the posts attached to the sign? And some of your pictures shown are so damn small, I cannot even see whether it has the object in question your capcha is asking about. PLEASE update this crap program. I'm sick of clicking through 10 + windows just to get to the forums page or my account. Hell, When I get onto websites and use my credit card info that use a capcha program it isn't even annoying as yours...and yours is a free-to-play game. Seriously?
    narksar likes this.
  2. Yara_AB Augur

Unfortunately Daybreak doesn't have any say about how recaptcha works. It is the per se industry standard that uses machine learning and different other sources to decide if you are a human or not.

What will cause issues if you have tools active in your browser that block scripts and/or cookies (like uMatrix, uBock Origin, ...). In those you will just have to allow the google servers, too, on the websites that ask for recaptcha.

If your problems with recaptcha persist though, I would suggest you direct your (valid) complaints to google where they belong because only google can do anything about that.

If you do see photos to categorize all the time the problem usually is the browser because Daybreak implemented the latest recaptcha that isn't meant to show you anything but a checkbox if it can avoid it.

But to also answer your question:
    I usually click all parts of the image that do have at least part of the sign/car/shop/... in it because that literally is what recaptcha asks for. They also use recaptcha to train their own system and so it needs to know all parts of an image where parts of the thing they are looking for are located.
    Roxxlyy likes this.
  3. Havanap Elder

Daybreak made the choice to add a captcha verification upon login. That's not very industry-standard at all.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

ONLY DBG has a say in whether they choose to use it. And ONLY DBG has any say in their decision to use it in a non-"industry standard" way (on logins). This crapola is on DBG and nobody else, and the forums have been complaining to them about their poor decision ever since they implemented it.
  5. NeverPayForLag Augur

This captcha is not "industry" standard - it is the standard for many "shady sites". That a serious company uses that crap is beyond me. But usability was never DGBs/Verants strong side...
    Barton likes this.
  6. mackal Augur

Stop failing the captcha then?
  7. Shanarias Augur

Lately I have noticed that the pictures to identify are getting really grainy in some instances, and very difficult to interpret. I personally thing DBG needs to get out of this, or I will. and I seriously doubt that I am alone.

My visual acuity is deteriorating at a rate of getting lens prescriptions changed twice per year, and this deal with grainy and difficult pictures to interpret is getting annoying. /end rant
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

One day I had to click so many times I started to wonder if I was a robot.
    Caell, Nightmares and Shanarias like this.
  9. Shanarias Augur

OK, I am using a 2GB Display Adapter, a 32 inch HD Display, and some of the images on Capcha are so grainy and blurry that I cannot see them even with corrected vision. How smart do you guys think bots really are? This is ridiculous, and it took four tries to get in here tonight.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think that is just tonight - usually mine are crystal clear but tonight it looks like some bootlegged x rated movie.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

Its just DGB's way of keeping some of you out heh heh.
    Shanarias likes this.
  12. Nifty Slacker Augur

If you don't mess it up, you get through on the first try. I didn't think it was that hard. Seriously.
  13. narksar Augur

I've had it make me do additional capchas even when I didn't mess up, sometimes several consecutive times.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Actually... that's incorrect. They do have a say about it.

This is pretty much how they currently have it set.

[IMG]

Change it to Easiest for users... the security would still be there, it would still stop the vast majority of automated attacks.. but it would eliminate the second reCaptcha page whether you're logged into a Google account or not. The "I am not a robot" is USUALLY sufficient. With it set to "Most secure", if you're not logged into a Google account you're almost certainly going to get the SECOND reCaptcha challenge.

As to why they're using the higher security settings, it's not likely related to EverQuest. It's likely related to H1Z1 or Planetside 2.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Captcha is not meant to be used on login pages at all. DBG has it misconfigured at the design level.

Captcha is only useful at the time of registration and serves no purpose on login pages (other than helping google track and inconvenience DBG's users).

EDIT: Does your bank use captcha on login pages? Does the IRS? Does Amazon? Does Netflix? Nope, just DBG...
  16. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Lots of places use it on login pages. Using it to stop brute force logins before they even begin. This one is simply set too high of a level. My bank doesn't use any type of Recaptcha, but one of my credit card companies uses forced 2fa on occasional logins which is even more annoying.
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Examples?

You should check out the reCAPTCHA wiki page to get an idea of what it's really used for (tracking and free labor) and how terrible it actually is at what it claims to do.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I'm not going to argue with you about what it's "used for" by Google. I don't really care. It most certainly does stop with a whole lot of spam, hack attempts, etc. I don't really care if you don't like it either. I have no control over what Daybreak is doing. I just know why it's doing what it's doing. It's set too high on the security setting.