A new low on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fluid, May 22, 2019.

1. Fluid Augur

Probably not the kind of low you expect!

I have a history of doing the Stein of Moggok quest. We are talking all the way back to when you could do Wolf Form with a Druid to get it done circa 1999. It's kind of one of my favs for self twinking a new character too. The TLP servers made it OK to do again just much harder with a Druid now with all the faction work you have to do.

So the standard advice is run an DE Enchanter up to level 8 when you get alliance. I though I could beat that so me thinks level 1 DE Enchanter would be good to go. Note I failed at level 1! Turned out some of the NPCs in Freeport don't like DEs! I decided the course of least resistance would be level 2 illusion Human and got so I went there. That got me into the bar with Gegor Nasin *BUT* Talym Shoontar was up and he was still threatening even with Human illusion. Taylym isn't a constant in the bar, but I didn't want to wait for him to despawn and sometimes there are Wolves of the North<?> factions in the bar, so I just used my Druid to kill him. The Stein itself is not really , but the Barkeep's Compendium is! When I am jerking around like this, I keep my druid bound next to the Regurgitonic NPC and they can just port back and forth between getting a flask of nitrates in Surefall. Easy peazy: I can't see the whole killing the fish, logging in another character to loot while hoping no one else loots, et al. Trivial to give the Regurgitonic to Frostbite. Also allows you to get prayer beads, 2 dose ~150 HP heal, that I like to keep on my characters in the early going. Not to mention the decent mace for a Cleric or Paladin just starting out.

So Druid does the his part, hands the chanter a Kiola Nut to do the final turn in and presto! Druid invises and SoWs chanter for the long run. Once again, I cheesed it! Forgot to make the chanter agnostic yet again! So a bit of searching for the faction items and the chanter does the hand ins with another level to 3! Damm it all! Foiled again! Not too bad though because sure enough, Clurg yields the Stein to a level 3 Enchanter!

I check the prices on the Stein and they seem to be going for ~250 pp. I probably spent 20 pp on faction remediation so all is good. I ran the Enchanter up to level 5 at this stage just because. I have more then one magic on Mangler that needs the Stein and my cash situation is pretty bad going for levels over everything else: I don't even ask people in groups to turn on autosplit and use all my resources like Spider Silk myself. I bind the Enchanter in Moggok and can Origin back home which is just a skip and a jump away from Nasin. Repeated the quest again and doesn't take but a minute what with the Druid porting around and the Enchanter Origin/Gate. I think I could probably do it at an even lower level but I am happy with level 3 for now. Level 5 makes a hell of a lot more sense though because of Origin and Gate. Halfing Druid so Origin to get Honey Jum juice is pretty quick. Beats killing a dozen Hill Giants for cash anyway.

I still enjoy the game after all these year because of stuff like this. Verant should burn in Hell for taking away faction bonuses for Wolf Form, but on the bright side, if they hadn't I wouldn't of got the satisfaction of figuring this one out.
  2. Evade Augur

Good story. I didn't super enjoy it myself as I didn't have a druid to help port
  3. Fluid Augur

Yep, I could have done it all just by running and faction work but that is so non fun for me it hurts my face to think about it. :) At least at level 5 [gate, invis, origin] now. I don't need that much moola, maybe 500 pp would get all the characters I plan on leveling there to 50ish.

I have thought about multi questing it with other characters. I believe I have done it with a Gnome binding in Surefall or Qeynos Soul binder and using Origin/gate to go back & forth for the fish part. Of course if you are traveling between the two spots Kiola Nuts & Erud are easy side trips. Probably have to do some faction work to get to amiable in SF. Of course at the stage a Gnome Enchanter can get the SF faction up, they could probably solo the quest w/o help at ~10 with illusion DE. I should run an agnostic Enchanter to Moggok just to check how low they are. I'm pretty sure I have an agnostic gnome on a live server, just not sure about class. The only real advantage would be over a level 10 Druid who only has [SoW, gate, origin] for travel and a lot more faction work and you wouldn't need two accounts or a buddy. Kind of academic now since I will be done with it this week until the next TLP server.