New at Boxing

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Shanarias, May 12, 2019.

1. Shanarias Augur

I have 32 inches of desktop now. :D I will have to wait until Sunday to try it though, as tomorrow is my 34th wedding anniversary, and I don't think I will be playing any online game until Sunday.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Congrats on the Anniversary.
    Shanarias likes this.
  3. Kunshada Journeyman

Congrats on the anniversary!!!! And just to make you feel better you have been married one year less than I have been alive lol
  4. KateL7 Lorekeeper

You can get software to make boxing easy, and there are other tools you can use. For example you can get a free thing that lets you have multiple desktops. So you make two desktops, each one has a game in it, and you can tab between the two with a hotkey like Ctrl J or whatever. And then if you have a decent mouse with customised extra buttons, you can have it so each button instantly gets you the character you want.

An even better way to set this up is with AutoHotkey but that takes some learning, amazing for boxing though.
  5. bigpapa Augur

softwares can help some , but not a must , I play 5 on same computer / screen , no software ( I got my 5 little eq icon on the taskbar that I click to switch toons ) , I am windowed ( full screen while windowed ) and since I always play 3rd view I can see all my toon all the time .

I boxed all TBL tasks ( minus 2 trials of smoke ). some of them are pretty hard to box without is_boxer.

hardest for me are the tasks who need dps check , like fell foliage ( didn't try it since TBL launched tho ).
    or skyfire , with the emotes and all .
  6. Fluid Augur

I started boxing some low level characters both using dual computers<true box> and a laptop running two instances of the game. It had been years since I ran a character up so my advice to people starting out was beginning to suffer<suck>. I have to admit, people that box on a single computer with switching between instances or even dual computers have my respect. By the time I jump between instances, the MOB is already half dead! Much more powerful then solo/molo of course, just a lot of rubbing your tummy while patting your head going on. I don't think I will use third party software but I will try to combine a couple of my hobbies to get it a little more automated.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

ISB is pretty good, the ability to broadcast keys for example means that I can pull with all my toons casting a spell and using an AA, send all pets in at the same time, use multibind on all toons, and shift instantly between which of the multibinds I am using, etc etc. No automation, just key broad cast. It also lets me make small “monitor” view-areas, so I can see the other toons’ targets, their casts, etc.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  8. Tumbler Lorekeeper

Here's my advice...

For every toon you make, make another toon. You said druid, but like if you make another wizard or cleric that gets a PB AE at a lower level; this will benefit you. So basically PL with whatever your main toon is and AOE with the other toon until your high enough to have your own AOE. I would not suggest leveling a level 21 with the toon as that would just be slower.
  9. Metanis Bad Company

I find multi-boxing less stressful when I arrange each character's UI to use a similar layout. It's handy always having the spell gems in about the same position.

Also I use a specific hot button page when I'm boxing and I create a number of social buttons to make life easier. For example in my multiboxing setup, hitting the 2 key will invoke a social button with 3 lines:

/pause 3, /tar OtherCharacter
    /tar OtherCharacter
    /follow

This allows me a quick and consistent method of turning on autofollow. I use similar social buttons for casting Invis, Gating, Assisting the MA, Doing DPS, etc.

It makes things much quicker if you know what to press after doing your alt-tab and then you can quickly alt-tab back to your primary character.

One page of 10 buttons can pretty much do everything you need to do on a regular and repeating basis.

(PS. Reason for the double targeting in my example button is to deal with lag.)
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.