Fundamental question on splitting mobs with Monk

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Rasbis, May 16, 2019.

1. Rasbis Lorekeeper

Okay, admittedly I have been feverishly pl'ing this monk trying to catch up to the friends I want to group with so splitting mobs has not been a concern. In fact, with druid skin buffs ect 2 or 3 at a time has been my goal. Now I find myself at 35 and need to learn the fundamentals of the Monk class as far as pulling mobs. I have high level Necro and Ranger who I pull with just fine but the few times I have tried separating mobs with monk have been unproductive. I understand agro/FD/Sneak but I can't ever seem to get back to camp with one. Any input anyone can provide will be most appreciated. I plan on spending a couple of sessions "somewhere" working on tactics so advice and zone suggestions would be helpful.
  2. Conq Augur

At 35 you don't have many of the tools monks eventually grow up with at 110. So at that level range, you're either going to be yo-yo'ing mobs until they split or have a tagger tag once you've got one physically far enough away to be pulled solo. Later on, you'll have single target lull's, an AE mez, a second AA FD that instantly drops aggro, Moving Mountains AA to yoink mobs from a distance, all kinds of goodies.
    At low levels, use any outdoor zone with lots of line of sight so you can master splitting. Third person view is your friend. Learn your aggro ranges: proximity aggro, social aggro, etc. When you're ready for some advanced splitting tactics, learn to pull singles in Lguk and then Seb. Then you're off to learn to chain pull so your group has 0 downtime. Everybody loves a good puller.
    Conq
  3. Rasbis Lorekeeper

Thanks this is information I can definitely use so thanks for taking time to provide it. The AA's you speak of have some similarity to high level Necro and Ranger mentioned in my post. If I understand your lower level suggestions, putting it in my own words, what you are saying is FD/Sneak/repeat until the beasties are separated. I think one of my problems is I have been hunting mostly in Kunark zones and mostly on Sarnaks who are very social. I will take your suggestions though and move forward thanks.
  4. Monkman Augur

I believe monks get a single target lull, purchasable in east commonlands tunnel around your level range. Basically if mobs are grouped together, lull one, target the other and hit it with a javelin or shuriken.

I leveled a monk to 65 on agnarr last year and never saw it on the vendor in POk so I assumed it was out of era. Imagine my surprise when I was running LDON in commonlands i saw a vendor for melee discs by the ldon merchants and there were all the ranks of the lull line.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=4614
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Rasbis Lorekeeper

Thanks Monkman, unfortunately I'm on a time lapse server. No gates of discord at this time but I will note this for future reference.
  6. Astral64 Augur

The FD/sneak maneuver you're trying to pull off is an anomaly of the p99 server and will not work the same way on official EverQuest servers.
    Kutsuu likes this.
  7. Kutsuu Augur

Early game splitting before you get mez/paci discs can be a bit frustrating because feign doesn't have a very high chance to drop agro until they've pathed back to their spawn and that old sneak trick doesn't work anymore. Proxy agro and snares/roots are good for splitting when available.
  8. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

At your level it can be a slow thing. I would suggest heading over to the monkly-business.net forums (they were back up when checked a month ago). There are several older guides that address this there.