85 Ranger needs help =(

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kogmaw, May 15, 2019.

1. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

I'm trying to molo in old bloodfields (i think thats the name) as its where I was directed to go at this level. However I'm getting wrecked! I have about 8.5k AA (not heroic toon) very well geared for my level by selling Krono's and yoinking the best I can find off the /baz

But i'm getting trashed, my health is like a yoyo and my j5 merc is OOM nearly every fight, if I get 2 I h ave to zone, and make my way back.

root and shoot is about the only option, but I kid you not, it takes about 5 minutes per kill.

I have a Heroic 85 BL with only 5.5k AA who can take 3 at a time and his j5 healer is half mana at the end.

Now i've read that there are slow proc items I can use to help me out. dont care about the "nerf" from 50% to 25% I've resorted to using my 1.0 epic and relying on the earthcaller proc that slows. I'm not sure how much it slows since this data is inexplicably hidden from the client...seriously makes no sense to hide it, or how much is applied on hit after the maddening message "only partly effected" or something to that effect.

anyway, any help is greatly appreciated =D
  2. Drexyll Lorekeeper

Kogmaw likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Being a ranger I have found we have difficulty on what are even levels for us ie 85/85 or 90/90. Which is why rangers were known as "paper tanks" back in the day. You may need to drop down to the level 80 ones.

Make sure all your augs are good - like Jonas hand, Bayles crest and a few others. Stuff you cannot buy.

Your quiver at this point should be the Prescient Fleeting Quiver and the arrow should be Ancient Arrows.

Hopefully you have the AA endless quiver and headshots. Use your arrow spells.

Around this level is when headshot starts working for us again. You can head into DoDH and try the spiders the hive or sirens in the Buried Sea - good to do while your working on Jonas's hand.

Get some unity off a shaman - helps with headshot procs.

Doing quests or collections is another way to earn exp.

Just curious if you have played with running a tank or caster merc and doing the healing yourself?:D
  4. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

I haven't really ever tried to do the healing myself.
    I've found that when things are quad hitting or triple hitting for 3-4k my heals are about 1/5th that, or at best 1/3rd enough.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Send the tank in - assuming you have a j5 - and you stand back and shoot, dot and heal and see how it goes. You might wipe ;) cause I don't remember which levels this worked very well for me.
  6. KateL7 Lorekeeper

Just make a second character. Level them up to your level, and give them a healer merc. Now you can be healed automatically when you play. Also you could use the tank merc and focus yourself on dps. And if the second character you make is able to pull singles, you will have an easy road ahead.
  7. Phiyre Augur

With ranger harmony and the ability to punt/root mobs and wipe their memory/aggro, ranger is pretty easy to get singles..
    I got torn up anytime I tried to tank. Best bet is to snare/root/shoot/dot.. Fight things 2 lvls or so below so headshot can proc. Several good ranger headshot guides that are good until 100ish or so.
  8. Scorrpio Augur

I would say as ranger, your best molo strat is bow-kiting which requires very careful target picking. You are not a tank. I am presently leveling up an SK/chanter/ranger trio, now 94, and ranger can dish out some serious damage.
  9. Kogmaw Lorekeeper

Melee dmg? Or ranged??
  10. Phiyre Augur

League is better kog ;) j/j..
  11. Fluid Augur

A guilty confession. I really clowned it when the J5 Feerrott quest first came in. I had tried boxing the Bloodfields with J1 mercs and wiped several times: Too many bad pulls. I went back to killing light blues until I got tired of slow exp.

So I tried upgrading my mercs and blundered into the Lizardman camps, another disaster as 4 or 5 Lizardmen beat my Ranger to death faster then it takes to type this.

It took a little adjustment and for some of my characters I had to box/group to get through the Quest. Nice to see you made it that far w/o the pains I went through. Mostly I just had to learn to not blunder into Lizardman camps.

Back to the Bloodfields. IIRC, they are really a 85 to 90 zone, as such, you should have trouble soloing an 85 Ranger. I have only a little bit of trouble there boxing 85ish characters though so the above is good advice if you can take it. Just no way you can or should be able to take on that zone solo IMHO. You may be able to with some character types, of which a Ranger is not one. Fully pumped Necro or SK, Magician with a tough pet & healer Merc, Enchanter single pulling, that kind of stuff. Even then it will be painful.
  12. Mikoto 10086 New Member

Old Bloodfield is very unfriendly to a 85 Ranger actually.
    Most of mobs in this zone could proc NASTY effect on player.
    While pet class could heal and CURE at the same time,melee class(WAR ROG RNG) would suffer those heavy SNARE/DoT/AC Debuff if you are using CLE merc.

I would suggest that,if you re 85 Ranger and need easy EXP,head back to those older expansions and kill light blue cons.Its easier and faster,especially when you are not undergeared and have most of the most essential AAs.
  13. Kutsuu Augur

Moloing on a melee dps is best done on light blue/blue mobs. I'd step back to the level 75-80 zones. (TBS, SoF, maybe blackburrow).
  14. Nifty Slacker Augur

Bloodfields is not the zone you want to be in, as the mobs hit too hard, and have too many hit points. I would try fortress mechonautus or hills of shade perhaps? I think the mobs there will be light blue and you can kill at a much faster rate. Once again, forget about bloodfields until you get to 92 or so.

Final thought, you might want to find a guild or make a friend somewhere so you can tag along and get xp. Nearly everyone gets tired of soloing. Good luck out there
  15. Enigma Maitreya Augur

Looping Plains has quite a few camps for you. They can range around 78..80 then can go Dark Blue, further away from the zone in's. In one camp as a Silver Account, I can take a Heroic 85 Rogue and do about 12 of them and get back to the Start with maybe 1 or 2 having repoped so it is rather non stop. 85 Heroic Rogue+Apprentice L5 Healer.

The Ranger doing the same circuit has maybe 3 or 4 repop.

When the account as all access, the 85 Ranger and Rogue were paired with the DPS Mercs (Mostly Melee DPS) almost never used a Healer Merc. BUT I have 3 accounts 2 (Original to EQ opening its doors) are Silver now, because I play maybe 2 hours or less per year. The 3rd account I have parked on a 3 month plan ad may start enable/disabling it for the same reason. Back to the Point, the 3rd Account is for Buffing and Porting so everyone gets the best Buffs I can do and ported to where I want to go.

I keep revisiting the toss away of higher level characters on one of the 2 Silver Accounts and turning it into the Buffer/Porter Account and using the 3rd Account as the Play Account, just to get the Merc 5's Back.
  16. Calia Journeyman

In addition to slowing your opponents down, don't forget to speed your attacks up. The Steadfast Servant AA buffs you with Swift Like the Wind which buffs your attack speed by 60%. And carry a healthy supply of Distillate of Alacrity X potions which boosts attack speed by 50%. These two don't stack of course, but every little bit helps.
  17. Deloehne Augur

I would be inclined to Underfoot. Brells rest until about 90. Almost all the badgers, dogs, and Kobolds can be headshot at 85, and I do not recall any of them resisting paci, root, snare or being summoners. Once close to 90, I favor Cooling Chamber, killing endless dwarves.
  18. Moldar Augur

Speaking as a long time Ranger main, I would focus all of your effort into getting Headshot to the maximum rank that you can get it to and figure out what level of mob you can headshot (if your current rank required level 87 to purchase than you can headshot up to level 86 for example). It is going to basically be the easiest form of EXP you can get SOLO (not necessarily MOLO), the merc is going to eat drastically into your EXP and frankly once you learn how to snare (using the AA snare Entrap) / root (the semi-best root to use is Vinelash Cascade -- level 73 -- additionally you have access to a spell called Flusterbolt -- level 85 -- and you have access to purchase the AA root Grasp of Sylvan Spirits for a quick emergency root w/ a low chance of being resisted).

Ideally you want a very open space where you can snare mob 1 (or if you pull multiples 2, 3, 4, etc) and then once they are all slowed and walking/jogging at you work on rooting them. At level 90 you will gain another very important spell called Blusterbolt, it can be used in conjunction with Flusterbolt to have to "punt back" short term root spells. Additionlly these spells will "fade" all aggro off of you once the root memory wipe portion of these spells wears off so they are pretty handy for saving your life in a pinch too without the need to necessarily zone every time (although that is also never a bad thing).

I recommend to avoid zones with NPC's that summon you to their location after taking damage these tend to force you to use your merc which is about a 50% exp loss on everything you kill. In the event you absolutely need to use a merc go ahead a positive gain is still a positive gain, but your best bang for the bucks is a location where you yourself are fully capable of being your own puller, DPS and occasionally self healer when you get nicked once or twice.

If you're in a group your DPS is going to largly depend on where you have allocated your AA at, but generally speaking melee has kind of been king until you get to purchasing some of the EoK Archery AA and then it bounces back and forth depending on AA, what quality of weapon you're using, group makeup, etc.

Regardless of whether you're melee/range you're going to always want to be casting damage spells the best spells currently for your level are the following:

spell 1 -- Focused Storm of Arrows
    spell 2 -- Cataclysmic Ash
    spell 3 -- Windwhip Bite
    spell 4 -- Galvanic Ash
    spell 5 -- Rimefall Bite
    spell 6 -- Summer's Mist

You may want to add your DoT (Beetle Swarm) on harder NPC's like named monsters

A few spells to look out for:
    Level 86 -- Called Shots -- you will make this spell number 1 and all other spells will move down the casting priority list.

level 97 -- Vinelash Assault -- upgrade to Vinelash Cascade, easier for you to land root the first time

level 99 -- Summer's Gale -- Summer spell that is finally on par with your Ash and Bite nukes; however, it comes with a significant mana cost increase, but in a sense you're always twincasting your best Fire and best Cold DD nukes every spell cast (you will go OOM, but you will also deal much more damage than your otherwise capable of on a non-headshot mob). Summers gale will replace any Ash or Bite spells in your spell rotation so your spell rotation will look akin to the following:

spell 1 -- Forcasted Shots
    spell 2 -- Focused Rain of Arrows
    spell 3 -- Summer's Gale

Level 101 Dichotomic Fussilade -- this is a spell introduced with the TBM expansion and essentially is two very large arrow nukes and 1 summer's nuke rolled into 1 spell. It has a steep mana cost, but will essentially drop in-era mobs

Once your 101 your spell rotation will be akin to:
    Forcasted Shots
    Focused Rain of Arrows
    Dichotomic Fussilade
    Summer's Gale

Just upgrade the spells the further your progress towards level 110 they tend to upgrade every 5 or so levels.
  19. Tumbler Lorekeeper

Look for mobs that say, "This creature is relatively weak" I believe you'll find them in the field of scale area. Later at level 95ish you'll find more in Shard's landing. Those mobs are made for mellee to kill at that level and would be the best xp.
  20. Scorrpio Augur

Mobs that are 'relatively weak' also yield way less xp and generally no loot....