Is MotM tweakable?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ishbu, May 16, 2019.

1. Ishbu Augur

I understand why this buff/debuff was added to high value targets. I am not asking for it to be removed nor am I intending this to be a complaint.

I just am wondering if this could be adjusted to be different levels of intensity based off expedition participants for the AoC dz's?

This may be completely unfeasible from a coding perspective, I dont know. I only ask because outside the usual botting/dps racing/charming complaints, the number 1 thing I see killing peoples interest is how difficult raid targets get for a small close knit raid force.

If possible, I thought having increasing intensity of the buff based off number of people in the expedition would be nice. Ex - weaker at sub 20, 35, and up to full strength at 50+.

Will have little to no affect on average guilds but does allow for more progression for guilds that only field 3 group raids. After all modern eq is about accessibility to a variety of play styles.

Thoughts?
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Wait till next expansion to tackle content designed for 54 to 72 people with your family of 18?
  3. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I'm not quite sure why nerfs to player power were made before eliminating MotM, since a big part of the concept of MotM was to balance it against the overall player power level - a calculation that had already taken those increases to player power (for example, out of era focuses, data tables, etc.) into consideration.
  4. AlaskaJay Lorekeeper

The content is still very accessible it just may not be accessible to you right now. As another poster mentioned you may have to wait until the next expansion and the power creep that come along with that to be able to clear certain things and due to having AoCs that can be done at your own pace. I myself am apart of a guild that falls into that classification of guild more or less and I would personally rather wait to be able to down Inny than deal with some of the nonsense that comes along with many large TLP raiding guilds.

Another option would be to reach out to another guild(s) of similar size to set up a co-op raid for certain targets. Set up rules for loot well in advance and go in there and smash some face.

By scaling MotM based on how many people are in the raid they would just hand the keys to the castle to bot groups to start selling raid loot en mass.
  5. Captain Video Augur

In theory, MotM was already scaled back in this week's patch, as a long-standing bug which improperly doubled the mitigation amount was fixed.
    jeskola likes this.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

So if your proposed tuning would allow the raid target to be killed by ~3 groups... why would an "average" guild that was previously fighting the target with 50-72 players not just start splitting into 3 or 4 raids to win 3x or 4x the loot? Your proposal would fundamentally change all TLP raiding guilds and is not a good idea.
  7. Ishbu Augur

I'd ask why this matters? After everyone was given the option to have private raid instances, who cares how much loot another guild can get?
    Aneuren likes this.
  8. Ishbu Augur

People seem to be misinterpreting my post. I'm not saying my guild cant kill things and looking for advice such as team up with another guild or wait til the next expansion.

I'm suggesting tweaks to go along with the spirit of these TLPs which is old content made accessible for all play styles.

Clearly the early replies are against the idea. Although it's weird the only reason given are that big guilds can get more loot using smaller forces, which they are already doing anyways. Not sure why it matters if the 250person guild gets 4 Naggy or 8 in a week when it wont affect anyone's elses zone at all
  9. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

You are not understanding his question correctly. The OP is asking for the MoTM buff to scale in response to raid size, not be one static buff. This is used in hundreds of games today already, raid bosses scale to raid size. So a raid with 36 people would in essence experience the same difficulty and intensity of the fight as a raid with 72 people will. I am not sure this would work in this engine or how this game is coded but it is worth looking at. It would not make the mob an easy kill but it would level the playing field and open the raids to more smaller guilds who struggle on TLP's to move through the content.

But also there needs to be a limit, say MoTM is set to full raid strength until you reach ... oh say 36 raid members, then it scale from 36-72. This would prohibit one group mob kills due to scaling.

As for split raiding, this already occurs today on TLP's. A good example is how the top guilds split raid most of the content on Selo's since day one and will probably continue to split raid until attrition makes that non-feasible and only one raid force can be fielded.
    Ishbu likes this.
  10. LittleBrumski Augur

They should just get rid of MotM. Let the smaller and mid size guilds do stuff, because despite a certain dev's opinion, many casual/smallguild/low playtime players want to be able to raid sometimes.

The larger guilds can just split raid more (and with less people for those who are going to @#$@ about it being too easy).
    SoandsoForumUser and Aneuren like this.
  11. Aneuren Tempered Steel

I don't have access to enough precise parses from Fippy vs Mangler content, but I'd guess that this one fix doesn't quite account for the lack of focus effects.

MotM served its purpose on Ragefire and Lockjaw. Far more important were the harmtouch fixes (which I am also sorry to SKs for, I never enjoy seeing a class ability drastically reduced in power regardless of the circumstances because it's so harmful to the morale of the players of those classes) and AoCs for raid content. I have a hard time caring about what guilds or players get what amount of loot anymore. It's all just arbitrary gatekeeping at this point.

Edit: the only people that have benefited by in large from all of the changes (other than AoCs) over the past few servers, honestly, have been krono farmers.

Edit 2: except for the quality of life changes, those are super appreciated (click from bags, extended target windows, things that overall improve accessibility of the game content rather than diminishes it).

Edit 3: really have to thank the devs for edit 2. I should have put that at the top of the list. I've really tried to express that I feel our devs really do care about us, in my eyes it's the policy makers that keep hamstringing the player base.
    SoandsoForumUser likes this.
  12. Spooky Augur

It's so much more impactful than focuses if what the devs said about it was true (that it was a display issue and spells were always double mitigating, just not shown, which means your parses are invalid anyway).

In classic, motm mitigates 40% spell damage. A 1k nuke should hit for 600, but was hitting for 360. A 20% focus would have raised that to 432. Net is +~35% spell damage on mangler vs all other TLPs. You have to take into account mana pres as well but it's not close.
  13. Aneuren Tempered Steel

You'd need to calculate the mana pres, healing focii, and damage focii, not to mention all of the out of era things that have been slowly removed from the servers since Fippy and the changes to stuff like pet walling. I admit though, without good data sets from each era, it's really hard to make an informed assertion.