Dbg, would this fix all the charm exploits?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Greensealilly, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greensealilly Journeyman

A spell and an item clicky (for melee, fast cast buyable like pumice stone kinda thing) that causes a mob to be uncharmable or mem-wipeable for a duration. Make it only usable on a mob that hasn't been charmed in the past 30s to prevent it's use to grief legit charmers. This would solve the problem. How could people exploit it or would this do the trick? Is there a way this could work? Seems like it would be a pretty simple solution to implement since it would just be adding a spell with normal buff/debuff/blockspell/prevent kinda stuff, reminds me of a prevent fear buff. Pull mob, cast this and for say 30s the mob is uncharmable and unmemwipeable.

Seems like this might solve the negative feelings and guessing loads of support tickets. Would this work?
  2. Vorlic Journeyman

I'm trying to think of a reason this wouldn't work. It would need to be immune to dispel or the mob could be dispelled then charmed. The hard part is this would be a unique affect and I have no idea the difficulty to code.

I do like this idea for the intended purpose. It would still be a DPS race so box armies would become the rulers so I don't know what's worse.
  3. Madcat1983 Journeyman

Well it would mean no enchanter ever gets a rare named basically

As a enchanter I do not see how this would solve the under pinned issues that people are jerks sometimes your basically just asking people to swap from a charming enchanter to a nuking wizzy or a boxed mage

at the core of everyone's complaint there is a simple easy solution instance everything since no one is able to share apparently
    Ghostdog and Aneuren like this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Likely to involve a bunch of coding. Can you cast a spell and make a mob uncharmable? That's usually set in the meta data and activated when the mob spawns.

And then you would need to add something to every charm spell and AA that fires when the spell wears off to blocks the attempt make them uncharmable so they could be recharmed if the person is using a charm pet.

Sounds very logistically complicated and would take a lot of time to implement. Gotta be a simpler / cleaner solution
  5. Greensealilly Journeyman

It wouldn't prevent getting a rare named. It would prevent stealing one from a group already fighting it though.
  6. Greensealilly Journeyman

Agree that boxers would still be around but at least they need to pay for more accounts and not just switch to a bard or enc and do the same thing.
  7. Greensealilly Journeyman

Ok so here's a way to fix what I think will be the hard part to code. The part that prevents it from being cast on a mob that just lost charm. Add a "debuff" when charm breaks that prevents the new charm block spell from being cast on it for 30 secs or so. Done. That would use the existing spell logic as I understand it.
  8. code-zero Augur

so you are basically asking for something that overwrites charm and is persistent in the slot?

I really don't think that y'all understand how spells work in this game sometimes
  9. Greensealilly Journeyman

Not at all. I don't think you read the post or maybe you misunderstood it. The spell blocks charm/wipe for 30s but can't be cast on mobs that just lost charm so you can't exploit it to block an enc from recharming their pet. I don't know how the code is written, who does, but I do understand the general design.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

The easy solution is to make named mobs uncharmable. When you charm a named mob, you are preventing that mob from being slain by other players and disrupting the normal course of operation of the MMO and the play experience.

Yes, this would take a bit of work but the uncharmable flag already exists. All it takes is for DGB to have the will and the time to get this done. Problem solved.
    Ghostdog likes this.
  11. Greensealilly Journeyman

Here's the idea for the new block spell:
    Cast <charm wipe block> on mob you're fighting or even pull with it (has aggro but minimal value)
    Mob cannot be charmed or wiped for 30s
    Kill cannot be stolen with charm or memblur

And, change to charm spells (easy way to prevent abuse):
    When any charm wears off or is dispelled the mob gets a "debuff" <can't block charm> for some duration, say 60s, I think there is a mechanic that adds a debuff when another spell wears off already.
    When this debuff is on the new block spell can't be cast on the mob
    This prevents someone from griefing charmers by blocking legit charmers

This way would prevent people from abusing charm to steal any kill.
  12. squidgod Augur

Shouldn't be difficult. Most rare mobs are already flagged as rares, and while it wouldn't stop all charmgate griefing (turnin mobs, for example), it'd go a long way.
  13. Nolrog Augur

Assuming there is an ability to prevent block charm via spell, and then someone has to change every charm spell and AA in the game to trigger this rebuff to prevent block charm. It’s a lot more work than it seems.
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Greensealilly Journeyman

Really depends on how it's coded. If spells are just database entries now (including the blockspell mechanic) then it's just some entries in a table to add the effect to prevent charm and prevent block on charm wearing off.

If it's some huge effort then I would agree that just blocking charm on named would be better.
  15. Hadesborne Augur

They already have flagged the named in Howling Stones to be immune to charm. So the coding is there.
    Ghostdog likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

Immune to charm has been around for ages. The question is can they turn that on and off via spell or spell trigger?
  17. Hadesborne Augur

Why is that needed when you can just make named mobs immune to charm. Adjusting the code around every other mob is a waste of resources.
    Ghostdog likes this.
  18. Beyonka New Member

I think the act of casting gate or being summoned by call of the hero should instantly break charm.
    Ghostdog likes this.
  19. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

That opens up a different method for griefing whereas making rare mobs immune to charm does not.
  20. krimmett Lorekeeper

Charming is not an exploit people. Im sorry that bad things happen to you, but this is a game that has had this for 20 years now, you knew what you were getting into when you rolled a melee class. Suck it up and wait for later expansions.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.