I am new player, I share my secrets and tips with other new player.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Trammie Surprise, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Trammie Surprise Apprentice

Hello fellow new players let's use this thread to share our tips and tricks with each other.

2. Annastasya Augur

Funny but not super informative. Figure out that advanced loot system, and then share your knowledge with the newbies. Also KAL-a-dim.
  3. Anhur Journeyman

Tips can vary dramatically between classes, but there are a couple which I can think of that apply broad spectrum;
    1. A B C: Always Be Casting - set up a bar with all your spells and/or abilities on and assign them to a spam key
    2. Audio Triggers: Whether using the in game function or GINA - resists, worn off, alliances, overwritten - easy to understand prompts will boost your performance
  4. Gundolin Augur

Nice of you to share your experience. Hope you enjoy the game. :)
  5. Drexyll Lorekeeper

The best tip I can give is always be kind. Treat people the way you would like to be treated. If someone asks for help, whether in guild chat, general, or some other way drop what you are doing and help. If you see someone (of any level) that could use one or more of your buffs stop and give them everything you can. I often see people on Ragefire that have just come back to the game and there toon/toons are in terrible gear. Or maybe they aren't new to EQ but I have something on my trader that would be a nice upgrade...I will send them a tell and ask if they would like it, or maybe offer to help them get some levels somewhere. No matter the situation, I am ALWAYS kind to anyone and everyone I talk to or run across. It usually comes back around, but that's not the reason for doing it-do it because it's just a good way to be. It also makes you feel pretty good knowing you helped someone out :). That's just my 2 cents which doesn't mean much, but it's made EQ a lot of fun for me the last couple of years. Good luck and have fun.
    DoNotPunic and Gana like this.
  6. Sagarmatha Augur

Number one tip for new players: ALWAYS check /barter before selling to a vendor, especially if you don't plan on selling items in the Bazaar. You might be surprised with how much players are willing to pay for certain items, particularly trade skill materials.
    Shanarias and Gana like this.
  7. Kunshada Journeyman

This guy gets it lol. /barter can make you a lot of money especially if you auto loot all trade skill stuff
    Shanarias likes this.
  8. Marlenswift New Member

As a returning player from years ago, I'm discovering there are people in the /barter system trying to buy your item drops for less then what a npc vendor will buy it for... so before selling your item to some person in the /barter window,, check to see what an npc will buy it for.

So beware!
    Shanarias likes this.
  9. Shanarias Augur

My experience is that MOST buyers in Barter give way better pp than vendors, but there ARE exceptions. The exceptions can go farm their own stuff, as far as I am concerned. No big deal, but the plat I have made from /barter when out grinding is sometimes amazing to me.
  10. forbes77 Elder

not every /barter will give you the best price,some will offer you less then the npc vendor.
  11. Schmetterling New Member

o well I am a new player and to tell you the truth I don't know anything
    I have tried to play this game over and over , but I just can't figure out some things
    I am now playing on the new TLE server but I am still having some real problems in every way.
    Like am I supposed to jut hit the mobs over their heads with my club?
    I am only level 2 and those bags cost a fortune , how do you do any of those trade skills?
    and so on and on .
    Ok now back to wracking those mobs over their head again and selling stuff every 10 minutes or so.
  12. Scorrpio Augur

At start out, yeah, you pretty much do just that. There ARE additional skills you can employ (kick/bash/taunt etc) depending on your class.
    If you have a club, you are likely a priest class (shaman/druid/cleric) and you should be using a tank merc and provide healing support.

Once you level up a bit, there are bears in Crescent reach. Watch out for any 'High Quality Bear Skin'. You can ask players to make you some nice 10-slot backpacks from those. Heck if you do the freebie tradeskill quest till you have 54 tailoring, you should have very good chance making those bags yourself.
    Tradeskills, you really ought to do those intro tasks in the tutorial. They teach you about various game aspects.
  13. Schmetterling New Member

I said earlier I am in the latest TLE server , no mercs, no tutorial.
    and yes I am a Halfling druid.
    Can I do more than 1 trade skill ? or do I have to stick to one ?
    but thanks for your advice maybe I should roll a toon on a regular server just so I can learn how to do things.
  14. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Rolling a toon on a live server and running the tutorial will be the best use of your time. Trying to teach someone EQ via the forums is hard. At least after hitting lv 10 there, you'll have a better framework to ask more specific questions.
    Schmetterling likes this.
  15. Scorrpio Augur

Yes missed the TLP server bit. Doing a tutorial on live would be useful, but it will talk about a lot of mechanics that do not apply on TLP. Still worth doing.
    You can do as many tradeskills as you wish. There are actually progressive quests that require mastery of all common tradeskills.
    There are 7 common skills: baking, brewing, fletching, jewelcraft, pottery, smithing tailoring. There is fishing that is kinda-sorta considered a tradeskill. There are also class-restricted skills (poisonmaking for rogues, alchemy for shaman), race restricted skill(tinkering for gnomes) and also research that was initially casters only, but at least on live is now open to all.
  16. Fluid Augur

Scorrpio gave a good description. Just to add, Halfling Druid is a tough character to do all trade skills. They are good at tailoring, brewing, baking, maybe a few others. You can do things like jewelry, but you have to use an Enchanter to enchant the metals used.

What has been true and no sign of changing is the first rule of any trade is don't start until you have 80 pp. By design, all trades are money losers. Only way you can break even or make a profit is if you are one of the first and best in a trade when the server first starts and then sell to other players. It is still the way to go if you just want to do it for your own character(s). There are no TLP servers that are early enough on to make a consistent profit at this time. What the designers wanted was everyone had to kill and level to make money in the game, no exceptions.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Very true.
  18. Romen Lorekeeper

First off, welcome to anyone trying EQ for the first time.

Learning any new game can take some time, and it is sometimes very confusing. Fortunately you will find a lot of helpful people. Unfortunately you will also find some not-so-friendly people which might make fun of your "noob" questions. Don't let the latter get you down.

Find a newbie-friendly guild and you will hopefully get some good advice and answers to questions you have. Often someone will have some low level gear they no longer want and might give you, but never beg for stuff.

Check out the chat channels you have available ("/list" will show which ones you are subscribed to, using "/" followed by channel number will let you send a message on the corresponding channel). All new characters should start out with the newplayers channel. A lot of these are not new players, just new characters, but you should find new players there as well.

You should also be subscribed to a class-specific channel such as the druids channel if you are a druid. There is a general channel, or usually a set of numbered general channels (general1, general2, etc.) as a channel can only have a maximum of 400 subscribers, then the server creates a new one.

You can create your own channel or join any existing channel using "/join" followed by a channel name. Most servers tend to have player-defined channels that have become common. There is usually an "auctions" channel ("/join auctions") where you will find people buying and selling items and services. Another common channel is "taxi" where you can find people looking for and offering "ports" across the world. While some will specifically ask for money for a port (or "punt" or "TL" which means translocate), many won't but tips are always appreciated, even if you are poor and can only offer 1 or 2 plat.

When you move to a new area you plan to stay for a while you should consider getting your soul "bound" to that area. Most cities and many places in the world have a soulbinder NPC that will do this for free. This is where you will end up when you die, or use a gate spell if you are one of the classes that will eventually learn the spell. You also have your origin point, which is your starting city. The "Return Home" button on the character screen will log you in there, and starting at level 5 there is a special alternate ability (AA) called "Origin" that will take you there. To set up a hot key for that press "v" to open the AA window, find Origin under the general tab, then use the make hotkey button on right. Put that somewhere on a hotbar for easy access - you can have multiple hotbars.

The "EQ" button gives you access to almost all of the user interface windows, and the extra hotbars can be brought up there. These extra hotbars can be resized, reshaped, and moved on your screen, and are great for less frequently used things like your origin hotkey.

Perhaps the most useful website for EQ information is http://everquest.allakhazam.com. Here you will find a treasure trove of good information, such as where to find your spells and abilities, where to find specific places or NPCs, etc. Keep in mind that this site has information on all the expansions, so if you are playing on a progression server a lot of it isn't available to you right now. The page http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers has a lot of progression server specific information you will find useful.