Charm + Gate needs to go away

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dilf, May 3, 2019.

1. code-zero Augur

Y'all are funny, I have posted that I don't believe that some of the alleged botters are using a particular 3rd party program and get jumped for defending hackers and I speculate that there's more to the enchanters grabbing named and they may be using hax and I get, "oh no! you don't understand! we have to have charmed pets gating nerfed"

People see hax that may not even be there and ignore evidence that may point to a hack if it lets them call for a nerf
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Flag ac uncharmable just like effreeti djarnn is.

Case closed.
  3. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Instance these camps, and watch as none of these antics bother anyone ever again.
  4. Hadesborne Augur

You really have no idea what is going on. Ok, here is the situation, you are camping the Ancient Cyclops in OOT and he finally spawns. Then, while your killing it a chanter runs in, charms the thing, then runs off with the mob and then gates to somewhere else in the zone (which causes the charmed AC to Warp to said enchanter.) The Enchanter can then drop the charm, and kill it with dots at his leasure because all of your party's damage was blurred due to distance / charm. Please note that the warping of charmed mobs to a character IS ABUSING A PATHING MECHANIC. This is not opinion. This is fact.

Now let's talk about possible solutions:
    1: What "the vast majority" of people here are suggesting is that we flag the AC and other named mobs immune to charm. This way. It just becomes a normal DPS race. This is the closest to fair as we can get.

2: What YOU are suggesting is that DBG police the way the enchanter "finds" that said AC has spawned by focusing on SOMEHOW finding those that are using 3rd party programs and ban them. This completely ignores the fact that the AC just might spawn within the chanter's line of sight OR that the enchanter is boxing a tracking character and is actively checking. So your "fix" AKA "horrible suggestion" is that DBG spend resources they have already stated that they WILL NEVER spend to police the servers, so they can catch 1 out of the 3 possible ways that an enchanter can abuse a pathing bug?

You need to reevaluate your thinking process, as your "logic" is faulty. Please stop convoluting information that the REST OF US understand with your nonsense. Now, I am all for rooting out those that are abusing 3rd party programs, BUT this discussion is NOT ABOUT THAT ISSUE. If you want to talk about 3rd party programs then make your own damned thread. THIS THREAD is about fixing an abuse to pathing mechanics.
  5. Grailer Augur

Bard can charm too . Usually they charm at 5% hp then kill it.

“A few more comments about Bard charm. First, Bard charm serves as a partial mem-blur. The Bard's charm will 'forget' all previous damage dealt to it, and all previous aggro caused. This is extremely useful and is a huge advantage. In order to gain full xp from a mob while soloing, you need to deal over 50% of the damage to that mob. But charming erases all memory of that damage dealt! You could have a charmed pet deal 99% of the damage to another mob, and as long as the charm breaks prior to the killing blow, you will earn 100% of the xp.”
  6. Xman New Member

It is impossible to get any drop the way this is working now. No Mob that drops an important quest piece should be charmable! For example try to kill an Ancient Cyclops in OOT. Someone Always warps in and charm it. This is insane! What honest gaming company allows this behavior?
  7. Grailer Augur

Lol when people are selling AC Ring loot rights for 1kronos you think DBG will fix this anytime soon?
  8. cinzen Journeyman

In actual Classic era, didn't the AC corpse poof in like 7 minutes? Does it now sit there for 30?
  9. Racci New Member

As an Enchanter that likes to hang out in OOT on Mangler and may or may not have a spice as a name, I do not use 3rd party software, I do not cheat at the game. I am 1 solo toon doing what my toon does best. There are various places on the island that allow someone to see many spawn points at the same time. Also, and this may come as a huge surprise to some of you, if you kill a seafury cyclops (or, say, all 7 of them on the east side) in 22 mins they will respawn ! You dont need to sit there, you can come back in 20 mins. In the meantime you can run around killing others or watching spawns or watching Game of Thrones ! WOW I know! This changes everything !! Wait, wait, wait. other zones work the same way? Frenzy in LGuk? 22 mins ! omg ! <mind blown>

(AC Corpse last 30 mins, unlocks after 15 or when items are left on corpse).

Oh, and to all the necros and mags that like to complain about Encs and bards, your pets were never intended to be so strong in classic, stop abusing the mechanics that were changed at a later expansion and over powered these classes significantly. Hax !
  10. Nineye New Member

It works with CoTH as well. I watched someone do this on another server a couple years ago in chardok , had my rog watching their mage/cleric and followed the enc on my nec they charmed and coth was cast around same time as charm thus was was almost instant bringing charmed mob with
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

So what's your excuse for generally being an arsehole?
  12. Racci New Member

Do onto others? I have tried to kill ACs on the island, they get KSd. Its just the way the game is these days and you either adapt or spend your time crying about it
  13. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I'm pretty sure that's literally the opposite of what "Do unto others..." means.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Reminds me of a meme (before memes) in the 80s: "Do unto others... then split!"
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  15. Hadesborne Augur

Ok, so with this statement you have shown that you never played in 1999. IF you HAD played then, you would know that necro pets AND mage pets were FAR more powerful during classic than they are now. A lvl 50 necro could sit FD in the ghoul lord's room and his dual FS dagger hasted pet could solo every spawn in the room. But NONE of this has anything to do with the pathing mechanic abuse that is charm gating.

Having a charmed mob warp to it's new owner is an UNINTENTED side effect of having all pets warp to their owners due to a work around to pathing issues. Instead of fixing said pathing issues, they simply created a short-cut that avoided the problem all together. This wasn't added as some BUFF to enchanters so they could now gank other's kills then gate away and kill the mob to get the xp and loot. How many times do I have to explain this to you?

THIS IS ABUSE OF GAME MECHANICS OTHER THAN INTENDED!

To argue otherwise is futile and also conveys to the rest of us, that you lack reasoning skills, as well as experience.

Can we just make named mobs flag as uncharmable and be done with it already?
  16. Wimlin New Member

This is literally the only defense chanters have to avoid someone else trying to KS them. Basically what you are saying is make it so enchanters have no chance when someone else comes to try to steal a named camp from them. A better solution would be to lock mobs to first aggro or actually have some way to enforce camps. OR better yet as someone else suggested just make all these old camps instanced on TLP... that would avoid all this drama. What you are asking is to nerf the one way enchanters have of fighting back against people who try to grief them. Enchanters have no chance in a DPS race against any class except maybe a cleric and even then its close.
  17. yerm Augur

The charm part isnt the problem, the gate part is, so address the gating. Charm currently breaks the moment invis touches you, so have gate (realistically anything that sets your location to somewhere else, including tl and coth spells) cause a break.

I hate on all the other calls for enc nerfs, but being able to gate a pet IS silly. Note - back in the day, not only did mobs not warp to you, they didn't path well AND they agroed up a storm when they tried. Lost mage pets causing absolutely gigantic trains was a normal and joked about occurrence.
  18. Hadesborne Augur

Wait, so an enchanter deserves a larger chance at winning a DPS race than other classes? Can an enchanter not charm another monster and use their spells PLUS the DPS of the other charmed mob to kill the named fairly? Charm-gate-warping mobs is NOT a defense againt greifing. It is quite literally a greifing mechanism and and EXPLOIT.
  19. Hadesborne Augur

Flagging named/rare mobs as uncharmable would fix this real quick. As a necro, I know first hand that it fixed the issues in Howling Stones. Necros used to charm a named mob there and wipe through the entire zone in minutes. The mobs there are high dps and low hp. The charmed rare mobs there would kill a regular mob in about 6 seconds or less. The problem was, the zone was being divided among 2 - 3 necros. Noone else could xp there because all the mobs were being wiped out crazy fast. So, they flagged the rare mobs as uncharmable and now people go xp there if they want. Sure, necros are still there but they aren't manipulating entire sections of the zone. I like to consider it...fair. Did I enjoy slaughtering the entire zone? Sure. But fair is fair and the game is better now because of these changes.

People don't seem to understand that the game would just be better of the flagged rare creatures as uncharmeable. The only reason to charm a rare mob is to grief others or utilize that higher level mob to mow down EVEN more mobs that a normal charmed mob does anyways (win/more). People don't realize, don't care, or actually enjoy the fact that this negatively affects other playes by removing their ability to kill said mob. Alot of people are used to RACING in guild content and as such carry that thought process on to other areas of the game. Newsflash, it isn't a race guys. This isn't the EQ500 where we all jostle for position attempting to reach some checkered flag.
  20. Grailer Augur

Just make charm break on gate. ( Negative: Chanter could bring high lvl charmed pet near a camp then gate causing group to die )

Or better idea is to make gate collapse when you have charmed mob. ( Negative: Chanter can’t gate when things go bad unless pet dispelled first )