Evolving items and gear resets, a suggestion...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allayna, May 12, 2019.

1. Allayna Augur

With all the discussions lately about gear resets with each expansion I think that evolving items have the potential to combat that to a degree.

The amount of effort put into farming the collections or doing the old achievements plus the level grind to get them max level is significant. My suggestion is this, what if with the next expansion launch, the evolving items unlocked another level or 2. This would prevent a "gear reset" with new drops being better than the effort you all put into those evolving items.

Just my late night 2cp while grinding out evolve xp and reading the forums.
    Saer-tse-tao and Daedly like this.
  2. Tuco Augur

I've got all four of them at T5 and a near perfect set of augs for them. I'm expecting to use them through the next expansion, and then maybe upgrade 2 or 3 in the following one.

I don't think it'd be appropriate for the next expansion to allow evolution of them further, because then players would feel forced to spend a lot of effort in the then prior expansion (TBL) to work on items for that expansion. I put my time in, and now I'm reaping the reward for it. I don't think I should be surprised with an additional level of rewards just because it's a ton of work.

These items were always intended to give us try-hards something to beat on for a few months. I expect that with how successful they were at maintaining subscriptions after TBL (I know they got an extra 3 months out of my six accounts) there will be a new chase item with equivalent time investment and contribution.

Frankly I'd love an amazing type 5 aug or something that drew from a collection of quests listed here: http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/guides/quests/

I like the idea of a type5 aug much more than an item because it represents a semi-permanent improvement on my character instead of a temporary one. It also provides a task that players who return to the game in a few years will have a reason to do.
  3. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I think it is useful to bear in mind the play you put in when things are current is not going to translate into a reward that lasts forever. Are you enjoying playing while it is current? Do you feel accomplished having completed things in-era? That's basically where the value lies.

It also also useful from a development standpoint to not make progression require so much time to complete that people view things as not worth doing since they will be obsolesced by future content possibly before they are completed. Does the effort you put in feel like a waste of time now? Do you have a new carrot to reach for at the end of the stick? The latter is the essence of a continuous gaming experience.

It's a balancing act for sure, but the nature of an ever-evolving game is naturally that the work you put in yesterday might be "meaningless" in today's context. If the balance is struck well, it allows continuing players to feel challenged and rewarded while allowing new and returning players to catch up. A certain amount of overlap between expansions allows for a variety of options and doesn't force everyone to play in the same molded way with the same gear set.

We should be able to achieve goals and reap the rewards and enjoy them for a time. When new goals are offered they should be compelling, rather than simply make us feel like what we've worked for is wasted effort. Some of that is on the player's perspective and some of it is on the balancing and development side.
  4. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Of all the evolving items for TBL, what would be considered the most "casual friendly?"
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Easy, the boots.
    Tuco and Derd like this.
  6. Thrillho Augur

The boots (travelers achievements) are the easiest achievements to get and require little to no help getting. You can do it at your own pace.
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

That's cool. That's something to shoot for I guess. A reason to keep running "fight fire" possibly.
  8. smash Augur

Now I cannot be sure, but it might be harder than the collections..
    Depends which expansions is needed, because if RoS is needed, then remember they need to be able to zone into VP, which is locked behind flags.

And if you have a filled money pouch, you can buy a lot in bazaar.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You can have someone get the VP task, and zone in that way. Or the raid if you have friends in a raid guild. (RoS is required).
  10. Tuco Augur

I was surprised to find out I couldn't zone my two new (and unkeyed) zerkers into VP to help the group task. When I tried they got bounced to the OT(I think) zoneline. What's the trick to get them into the zone?

For posterity, the two group size made it easy to bring a different group and then log on the zerkers before opening the chest.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. Tuco Augur

Asking which TBL evolving item is the most casual friendly is like asking which marathon race is the easiest to run.

Sure, the one in Vegas in November is flat, fun, has a lot of support and is in temperate weather, but it's still 26.2 miles.
  12. Nniki Augur

Try 85/15?
    Smokezz and Allayna like this.
  13. Thrillho Augur

If you're going to put the time in to evolve the items in the first place, you're probably going to be classified a bit beyond "casual." I'd expect you have a VP key already, or have enough resources to get one.

Collectors (ring?) would be an easy one to get as well - it's entirely possible to do it within the bazaar. Expensive though. And I'd wager some of them are going to be less effort than getting a VP key. Some of the old school ones just aren't done any more. So those already-rare items become even more rare.
  14. Allayna Augur

Ring is conquest, shoulders are collect.
  15. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Well the collections one is like a marathon with a thousand side streets you have to go down :D
  16. Duder Augur

Ring - CHAMPION of EoK and RoS
    Gloves - Planeslayer (PoP), The Ring of Scale Slayer, The Empire of Kunark Slayer
    Boots - Explorer of everything minus the indented zones listed on the achievement, usually raid instances. (Will require some progression to get into progression locked zones, TDS namely because there are workarounds for VP, TBL, and Lair of Terris Thule)
    Shoulders - Master Scavenger of Call of the Forsaken, The Darkened Sea, The Broken Mirror, Empires of Kunark, Ring of Scale

Note - I am unsure how TBL achieves play into them if at all pre-lvl 6 because all my TBL grp stuff was done prior to obtaining evolving items.
  17. Yendar Augur

Couldn’t they just allow them to evolve in the new expansion also. Then people wouldn’t really have to go back to TBL (other than doing Fight Fire for the drops)

Not to mention GMM will still be the best evolving and regular exp next expansion.
    Allayna likes this.
  18. Nniki Augur

TBL achievements aren't required aside for the final evolution where all of them are required.
  19. gnomeboss Augur

evolving helm based on slayer achievements pls!
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Why helm? I'd rather have another non vis slot, I dislike the colouring of the boots and gloves and I do like to wear a full set of armour.