New at Boxing

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Shanarias, May 12, 2019.

1. Shanarias Augur

So I finally started a F2P account with my secondary email address, and started a Druid on Xegony. I am doing it with one computer, and <alt-tab> seems clumsy, but I am sure I will get used to it. So an account that has NEVER been All Access has some restrictions I didn't know about.

I knew that there were only two characters allowed per server. I knew that General chat was unavailable, but not the Class Chat, or the Continent Chat being unavailable. I have also learned that true F2P only has access to Tier III Apprentice Mercs. The limitations are quite palpable.

The lowest available character on my All Access account on Xegony is a 21 Bst, and I wonder what level I have to attain before I can group where both characters get experience. My Druid is level 8. Anyway, not going to have much time to play today, since I have to host Karaoke in my community this afternoon.
  2. Pirlo Augur

I think the rule of thumb is ( x + .5x) where x = level.

So I think you need to get your druid to 14 to get xp with your 21 BL
  3. Shanarias Augur

I may be missing something here, but there are seven levels between 14 and 21.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Keep in mind that some quests or mission will only allow a 10 level spread ie: LDON's which are good exp when your lower levels.

Rule of the thumb is 30 level difference for just normal grouping - handy table here from Allah

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Grouping_Level
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Also if you use "windowed" mode then your computer screen will have the bar across the bottom with your icons (ie printer/sound) and the bar across the top of the screen.

This will put an icon on the bottom task bar for EQ - so if your running 2 accounts you will have 2 icons and can click between them that way instead of using alt tab
  6. Shanarias Augur

THANKS! I immediately pasted that to a document and printed it. That should prove to be invaluable.
  7. Shanarias Augur

I need to get a bigger monitor first. My eyes aren't what they used to be.
  8. Elsewhere Elder

Think of it like fractions. As a general rule, you can group with someone 2/3rds below you, or one-and-a-half times above you. (Ignoring roundings)

The Beastlord is 21, two thirds of that is 14 and 1.5x that is 32. So he can group with someone between levels 14 and 32.

Your Druid is 14, 14 plus half itself again is 21. Two thirds of that is 10. So your Druid can group with someone between 10 and 21.

All ignoring roundings and any +1s
    Pirlo likes this.
  9. Fluid Augur

FWIW: I've found the best by far for me boxing set up is one computer with two monitors. Windows has a feature where you can run an instance of the game full screen on each monitor. When you move the mouse it seamlessly switches from one monitor to the other for clicking spell icons or inventory manipulations. You miss a lot less with two screens constantly open & not having to switch what mouse you use like you do with two computers.
    Shanarias likes this.
  10. Password1234 Augur

I alt-tab on a single monitor, but I also run in a smaller windowed resolution so I can see the edges of my boxes on the side, meaning I can just click into the other window. I have the UIs rearranged specifically to put buttons on the side of the screen so I can just click over to them to hit a spell/social/whatever and alt-tab back.

It's an extremely sub-optimal setup, don't do this.
  11. momentumAB New Member

Look into multibinds and broadcasting keys, personally I run 4 on a single monitor, although I have a second.
  12. Scorrpio Augur

Remember you can tank for your druid without being grouped. Just use taunts and debuffs and put warder on hold while druid does the damage. Once mob below 50%, turn on attack and send in warder. Your druid should level up real fast.

I use two monitors, one of them is a 32" 4K, where I have two game windows overlap, while third window is on secondary monitor. Works for me...
  13. Mintalie Augur

Why would you click when you can alt-tab? So much more efficient. I two-boxed for like seven years this way, and now I three box with alt-tab and alt-tab-tab and after a lot of practice it all feels quite easy now.
  14. Gana Augur

Although it is moot because your druid is level 8, there is a minimum difference that you can group with (just as there is a maximum of 30 as mentioned earlier) or 6 iirc. So, your level range at 8 would be 2-14 (although the formula says it would be 12). If it were the formula strictly, then a level 1 would never be able to group with a level 3. I think it is 6, but have not checked it.
    As someone posted earlier, yes, you will need to be 14 to xp with a 21.
  15. Tuco Augur

I don't know you, your goals, your $ situation or anything else, but I can say that I've really enjoyed boxing on this monitor:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V

You might need to spend some effort increasing the font size for some things, but it should be able to handle 2-3 boxes easily with plenty of room to put extra-large UI elements on it.

I've got 5 boxes on that monitor (and my bard on a monitor just above it) and some stuff is pretty small but it's all readable on my monitor (and not really readable in this video!)

16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Alt tab is very difficult if you play with a handicap and clicking is much easier. It was offered as an alternative when OP mentioned alt tab felt cumbersome. :) It works well for me with my 6 box group.

We all have different play styles.
  17. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I don't box on Live currently, but when I did I used WinEQ2 (just the free version) and it let me set hotkeys for each window, so a little more reliable than Alt-Tab.

AFAIR WinEQ2 is one of the okay 3rd Party programs. It doesn't actually do much game-wise.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  18. Scorrpio Augur

19. Shanarias Augur

Update: I have leveled up far enough to group with my 24 Berserker in Blightfire, and we are just killing treants, and both of us are getting good experience.

Thanks for all the help, and thanks to Lions of the Heart. I will eventually get smooth at this, I am sure. :)
  20. IblisTheMage Augur