Selo tradeskill gain rate

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pikollo, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Between autocombine and massively increasing stacksize / adding stacksize to previously UNstackable items tradeskills are easier than ever to raise. Yeah, they're still tedious and RNG can screw with you but they are for the most part what you do when you run out of everything else to do cause you NEED some kind of timesink.
    GNOME_POWER and ShivanAngel like this.
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

yup doing 200 combines of misty thicket picnics used to be an all afternoon affair... like 4-5 hours of subcombines....

You guys have it REALLY easy now
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

How quickly we forget...

Maybe next TLP needs classic tradeskills too, come to think of it.

Wrong items and you hit combine? RIP in piece.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Rest in peace in piece?
    Taladir and Elyani like this.
  5. GNOME_POWER Augur

It's easy now.
    If you make a mistake with the recipe or ingredients, they will not disappear.
  6. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

yes
  7. Pikollo Augur

Ok so help me out here. I'm trying to see if there is a difference in what I'm doing or if certain trades just skill differently.

I recently started getting my smithing up. I'm comparing this to leveling my tailoring. While tailoring with 150-160 int (tried dex too) I got skill gains about 1 in 10. While smithing having my str 150-160 I got skill gains about 1 in 3 to 1 in 5, sometimes 2-3 in a row. Same skill level, about the same trivial levels on the combines I did. Does class/race contribute to gain? It seems like the 2 skills should have the same skill gain rate if I have the main stat to 150-160 right? Give or take. But not double the rate?
  8. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

RNGesus is all that your experiencing
  9. Pikollo Augur

I'd agree if it wasn't so consistent. Just comparing 100 combines at a time tailoring is always harder to skill up. If it were RNGesus I'd see the same inconsistencies (or consistencies) between the 2. I've never seen tailoring gain 3 skill in 3 combines and I haven't gone more then 10 combines in a row without a skill in smithing (both skills are 190ish now).

Also to kind of back it up. EQT has a calculator. Just adding a random formula smithing has a higher chance of skilling up.

Smithing - Skill: 150, Trivial: 190, Prime stat: 150 = 14.91% chance to skill up overall
    tailoring - Skill: 150, Trivial: 190, Prime stat: 150 = 13.42% chance to skill up overall
  10. Pikollo Augur

(IMO) for Selo that is low. Skill gain doesn't seem on par with the experience gain or zone progression right now. I'm currently farming skins to raise my tailoring more. I've been at it for 2 hours and have 12 skins. The way skill gain is going that MIGHT get me 2 points. Two hours of work doing xp is a couple levels (couldn't tell you how many aa's as I haven't been able to get to 65 yet cuz I split my time between xp and trades).

On live shards i'd say ok 50 attempts per skill isn't bad. You got a year between content so you can spend a whole month getting a trade maxed. On Selo we got a month between expansions so even spending a week might get you pushed back depending on your play time.

Again just my opinion.
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Back in my day I carried non-stacking sheets of metal, in No Rent bags that poofed if you crashed, from Freeport to Highpass Hold, through Kithicor forest, with no mounts or sow, to make 20-30 combines of fine plate per trip to raise my smithing from 175 to 242.

Personal worst... 175 combines between skill ups.
  12. Pikollo Augur

Gotta remember that one day on Selo is the equivalent to like 12 days on live. Experience is moving at this pace. Progression guilds are moving at this pace. Raids move at this pace. Named spawning moves at this pace (even though rare drops are still rare as someone in another post pointed out). It seems like the only things that don't move at this pace are tradeskills and those hella rare epic mobs. I.E. Raster (took me 2 days to get him. Thats almost a month on live). But thats another topic.
  13. Gana Augur

They made xp faster. They made skillups faster for non-tradeskills. Tradeskills don't need to be faster just because the xp is faster. This after 100 skillups on over 1000 attempts in brewing (from 0) last night.
  14. Captain Video Augur

This is normal for live servers. 1/10 has always been considered a satisfactory ratio.

The timeline for TS masteries has never been tied to expansions. You can go all the way to 300 in most tradeskills while still in Classic, provided you are willing to invest the considerable time it takes. What subsequent expansions bring are more recipes to choose from, and a greater variety of things you can craft for sale. How fast the combat progression is going has no bearing on the grunt work involved to build your TS skill-ups. If you want the rest of the game's progression to flow at a pace that fits the playtime you've budgeted, then perhaps you're on the wrong server.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Did DBG state that tradeskills gains would also be at an accelerated rate? I don't remember reading that.
  16. Pikollo Augur

You are right about playtime budgeted. Assume I played "casual hours" on the "casual shard" If when the server start I had devoted 100% of my time to trades I could probably have them all maxed by the end of the PoP era (meaning when GoD releases).This means xp'ing just enough to farm the next set of skins/silks/metals whatever I need to keep skilling up as well as making plat to buy vendor items OR spending extra money to buy krono to buy the mats which are at huge prices in bazaar. So that's 4 months worth of tradeskills. About equivalent to live. Except on live prices of drops are way cheaper so in the end its probably easier on live. And at the end of all of this I'd have trades maxed, practically no gear levels or aa.

My only argument is this is labeled as a "casual server". Casual in a sense that you can be a casual player and keep up right? If that was supposed to be the case then all aspects of the game should follow those rules.

And again because you guys like to take everyone else's opinion as complaining I'm not. I am enjoying my time on Selo. More then I thought I would when I start since I have gone through all this content before as a hardcore player. I'm just speculating on the rate of gains vs how fast the "casual" server moves. If its all meant to be casual then shouldn't trade gains be the same?
  17. Pikollo Augur

No. Again its just speculation on how fast the server moves. I'm not saying Its supposed to be that way. I'm saying comparatively trades are the same as live but nothing else on the server is. Trades are actually harder because you can't buy a spider silk for less then 5p. A skin for less then 100p?
  18. Gana Augur

I assume you meant to quote the Pikollo. I am saying the TS skillups are fine. I just pointed out that I had a "slow" skillup session (1 in 10 was indicated as slow by Pikollo), but still think the TS skillup rate is where it should be.
  19. Pikollo Augur

I didn't say it was slow I said it seemed slow and also said I hadn't done trades in years hence why I was asking in the first place. I haven't played in 8 years so for all I know things changed. I do remember flying through trades on my second time doing them. Like it took me a week. But for all I remember it might be because I had a ton of money and mats are cheaper on live.

I do think its slow compared to the other progression aspects on Selo but thats just my opinion. Time is a little more precious here depending on how you spend it. You can spend 2 hours farming mats for 3-5 skill ups or you can spend those 2 hours and probably get 20? aa? Or a couple levels?

You also used brewing as a comparison where you go to a vendor and buy all the mats then go to a brew barrel and afk. When it gets down to farming for mats you're not gonna get that 1000 combines at a time.
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yes. There are a variety of difficulties among trade-skills. Research also has different difficulties depending on your class.