Confused over TLP complaints

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cicelee, May 2, 2019.

1. Kittany Augur

Of all the things I disagree with where Blizzard went wrong in how they manage their game, the one thing I can agree with is how they implemented the WoW token. For those unfamiliar with it; Once purchased from Blizzard for money, it can then be listed on a special tab of the auction house and sold to whoever is buying it. The seller gets the gold, the buyer gets 30 days of game time. (I also think Blizzard controls the gold selling price of the WoW token as well)

The big difference between WoW and EQ's implementation is that once the item is sold via a player exchange, it can no longer be exchanged.

I believe that SoE/DBG's original intent was for the krono to be used in such a way. But due to it's current implementation, the player base has turned it into an easily exploitable stand alone currency by which nearly the entire servers metric economy is based around.

Many people simply want the krono to be removed, and based on what I said above, I would wholeheartedly disagree with those people. The krono is a wonderful item for EQ. But, I don't love it in it's current state because it amplifies many of the already existing problems associated with third party RMT.
  2. Moege Augur

I would like to see a link where the original intent was described as the player base is using krono as described in the sales pitch.

https://www.everquest.com/krono

3. Elemenopi Augur

The OPs solution only works if everyone takes the advice. Any claim that one person deciding not to buy from them means they are no longer affected by the issue is an incorrect claim. As long as there is even a small number of folks still buying from them, the economy is still hosed for everyone else.
  4. Elemenopi Augur

I agree with this, as it would stop people from hoarding huge Krono totals which are out of proportion with the time they would ever need subscription time for.

AKA, theres no third party RMT market for it that undermines the company's RMT market for it.
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Third Party RMT existed long before Krono and would continue to exist if Krono were removed.

Botting seems worse now because it is easier to do as the technology required is a minuscule investment compared to 20 years ago. It's not because of the advent of the Krono.

If you want to reduce botting, you need to police botting.
  6. Kittany Augur

I would say that this statement right here is factually dishonest because, while true in that context, it leaves out the bigger picture and the wording is crafted in such a way to shut down any opposition to it.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

It's crafted in a way to be absolutely true though?

Krono is not the problem. Botting not being policed adequately is the problem. I don't think it's possible to police these things completely such that they don't exist, but there is certainly a problem on TLPs of not doing enough to prevent things being perma-camped and excluding many players from accessing content. This is not at all an issue with Krono and entirely an issue with poor game design from two decades ago. A well-designed game wouldn't allow for players to have their Epic quests completely locked behind other players monopolizing the spawns and drops they need to complete them.

HG and IG farming would and did exist regardless of the existence of Krono. I don't honestly think they are a problem that needs addressing by DBG. You can make enough plat in plenty of places. Not everybody deserves access to the most efficient plat farms available at all times. They are highly competitive, but absolutely not necessary.
  8. jeskola pheerie

It seems like a 100% true, straight-forward statement to me. Rmt has been around since 1999 and has always been pretty big. The difference now is soe/dbg decided to get a piece of the pie with krono. I am not sure why you consider the statement deceptive.
    BlueberryWerewolf likes this.
  9. Ceffener Augur

From the original announcement:
    What I can do with Krono?

You can purchase them from SOE in exchange of real money, buy them from other Everquest fans for in-game currency, sell them to your friends for in-game currency, gift them or trade them to other players for other items available in the game or even consume them. In case, you consume a Krono, it will be deleted from your inventory and also, 30 days of game membership time will be added to the account of the character that used it.

People use Krono exactly how it was designed as an in game currency to buy/sell platinum, game time, and items.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Huh?
  11. Volts Elder

What dude said, what you responded to, was 100% fact and stated in a very minimalist manner. I don't see any odd wording or second meanings. Your post is a real head-scratcher.