Maybe tweak Selo drop rates a bit?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chalkstix, May 6, 2019.

1. Chalkstix Journeyman

While I really like the increased xp rate and increased spawn rate of rare mobs on Selo, many aspects of the game just aren't up to par with this speed.

Right now the drop rate of spell parchments, Ethereal and Spectral parchments, is extremely low compared to the fact that many of the PoP spells are needed or at least very useful for PoP progression.
    There's also the issue of bottlenecks like the key for Bastion of Thunder. It just doesn't let people play the current era. On Agnarr, the issue with the key to Sebilis was fixed by increasing the amount of hunter/forager cycles in TT, which means they're now all over Trakanon's Teeth. I'd very much suggest something like that for Selo as well. It's a very big issue that people keep training and harassing each other in Plane of Storms for a chance to get a Bastion of Thunder key, and while a bit of friendly DPS race can be refreshing, the current situation just seems to make people angrier and more frustrated with each other. Selo, to me, was supposed to be a speedy server with plenty of stuff for everybody (with increased spawn rates) but right now there's not room enough for everybody, and it ends up favoring the players who just grab what they can without regard for their fellow players, while the ones that try to play nice and keep a pleasant atmosphere on the server are being left behind with scraps and have to wait for the next expansions to be unlocked to even have a chance of experiencing the current expansion.
  2. Prathun Developer

It is difficult to overstate how unfeasible it would be to rebalance the game around Selo's accelerated unlock ruleset.
    Captain Video, Protagonist and Boze like this.
  3. The Hated One Augur

Told ya so. Years to prepare for the 20th Anniversary.../splat.
    Mashef likes this.
  4. Aegir Augur

While I do agree with your argument...

With Selo server, there will be Guilds Completing Call of the Forsaken expansion, before they are able to complete Veil of Alaris due to the flag system.

Accelerated server is fine, but beating the next 2 expansions - before the one you actually succesfully tried to beat - is kinda silly.

You launched these servers with a ruleset mostly intented for Agnarr - but now, there are actually servers moving to live and with the recent cries for server merges from Live. I do think you'll have an interest in some of us going all the way to live and play the game YOU currently are developing for us.
  5. ManglerNecro Journeyman

Why wasn't this type of issue thought about before-hand when these server rulesets were created? Instead of realizing after-the-fact that this server is always going to have these kinds of issues for the duration of its existence?

Or did you know about it beforehand and just not really care too much to do anything?
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Selos was always going to be a tricky server to balance, and I am sure that the dev team tried to convey that to the Daybreak policy makers when these servers launched.

If spells become a major source of contention, maybe the simplest solution might rest with the spell vendors?
  7. Xhartor Augur

This is one of the challenges of playing on Selo. The increased rare spawn rate should help with this.
  8. RandomStrategy Augur

I thought it was just like baking a cake....just multiply all the ingredients and it'll be fine!

(I'm just messing with you Prathun.)
  9. Protagonist Tank

The simplest solution is the one in use right now.
  10. Chalkstix Journeyman

If you don't want to tweak every single aspect of the game, a simple solution could be to increase drop rates on everything. Simply multiply drops by 2. Now, I don't know the code of the game or the databases, but I don't think it would take more than a few hours to make a list of progression items/spell drops for the various expansions and increase drop rates on all of them.
  11. Kahna Augur

Because it was originally designed for casuals and in their opinion casuals don't care if they keep up or get everything they want in an expansion.
    Taladir likes this.
  12. Suzzy New Member

Just spawn 12 Storms picks with 40 phantom guys in them.
    Volts likes this.
  13. Chalkstix Journeyman

Or decrease amount of players needed in zones to spawn new picks. I saw 70+ players in Plane of Nightmare, no additional picks available.
  14. Elyani Augur

Plane of Nightmare will never have picks. Neither will Plane of Justice, because of the porting around for flagging quests. I don't know exactly what issues this causes for picks (or if they could not work them out to be possible in picks?), whatever the reason may be, neither of these zones have picks. Never will, even if a million people were in one. :)
  15. Numiko Augur

Just set it as a Live server and forget keying and unlocking the older zones and raids, until the last few expansions that is.
  16. Truthfire Lorekeeper

Just spawn more Storm picks for the rest of the server like you did for Amtrak. /s
  17. Ceffener Augur

Sounds about what raiding in era was like for lots of guilds.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I think it's because things like the Hedge event could be exploited with picks. Also, the Justice trials only allow one group at a time and switching to a different pick while you are in a trial could be problematic.
  19. Duhbeast Augur

Isn't the beauty of the server the fact that you may not obtain everything available, but to earn all that you can and have some fun doing it? The struggle to complete everything is what will separate the men from the boys. I'm not even that hardcore on this server, but I've seen plenty of spell drops. I don't know what you're talking about on that front. It will develop true character when you have to make choices on what you can do with limited time in my opinion. It adds more value to the few bis items that you will obtain before cruising on to the next rodeo.
  20. Chalkstix Journeyman

There's plenty of options. Any betterment would be received with praise.