Player Designed Content

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gnomereaper, May 1, 2019.

1. Gnomereaper Augur

Current Everquest Problems:

1. Designer time limitations to create content for a variety of people
    2. People who have grouped and raided for many years who want more content
    3. Different audiences to appeal to

After looking through the Mearatas Raid discussion as well as seeing more talk about content preferences. Another discussion worthwhile is player designed content.

Old World TLP doesn't have new content, there are people who want new content for those old world dungeons. Equally, people that enjoy certain types of raids, such as those preferred by some members in top end guilds. We could see more content in general and different demographics have more content.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Derresh Augur

Every MMORPG that I have played with player designed content ended up being abused.
    RandyLahey likes this.
  3. Tenken Augur

It would be interesting to have some kind of forge mode atleast for map design, would have to set it up similar to the guild housing(foundation is already there, just has to be expanded)

Drop the housing area that people can build/rent on make it a large scale by combining the districts and just making it one big sandbox, each district would be a different kind of setting/theme : snow, rocky, swamp, forest, elemental, and so on.

Give people basic building material that are easily accessible, sell some in market place (figurines of monsters and bosses(real scaling of the mobs) that can be placed and other stuff).
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I get the feeling the game engine and code infrastructure would make it logistically challenging to actually implement something like this, possibly to the detriment of developer content.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and smash like this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Nah. Been there. Done that. It's ALWAYS abused and almost always poorly conceived.

Hard pass.
  6. smash Augur

Gotta agree on this, And seriously doubt players can do stuff in it.
  7. Shadows Journeyman

I wouldn't speculate on its technical viability, but I am skeptical of player-designed content as a blanket feature.

If this was to become a thing, I think I'd rather have DBG take applicants for it and screen them as closely as they would any prospective paid employee. It would still be player-designed content, but with a smaller group who would presumably be relatively qualified and capable of putting out decent quality content (quality > quantity). I am unsure about the abuse angle, though.
  8. Qbert Gallifreyan

It can't be that far-fetched. Player-designed content was, after all, among the choices voted upon when we had that large feature design poll lo those many years ago (it has been a long time, but a few things made it in as a result, so they seemingly weren't pie-in-the-sky ideas at the time).
  9. smash Augur

I will rather have the devs spending time on the quality stuff they deliver than some medicore player made things, which the devs will also have to maintain and bug find.

I am pretty sure that the stuff players made then were rather bugged and it took devs large amount of time to get it right.

A my work where I am a programmer, we were in a project, and we were a bit lacking of resources, and we considered should we take 2 new resources(persons) in, however we decided not due to the time it takes to teach the people to learn the stuff.

So dbg would have to put people to teach players how to do it, and that is resources that then cannot do their normal stuff, and today the number of devs are less than what it was then, and I believe the thing then were part of a fanfaire where the devs were set to do it.
  10. Febb Augur

They have the player studio and they hardly even support it. I doubt they would have the resources to even come up with this so I would say it's a pipe dream.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

EQ2 had the dungeon maker, as most have said, the consensus is 'No. Not so much fun long term'.

And they don't have the staff for it at all.

It's true, it was never properly supported, and has now been completely cancelled for all but Planetside 2.

No more taking new submissions as they claimed they would a month earlier. They don't have the time, inclination or institutional knowledge to deal with it.

Player made content, beyond promoting them on social media, is not something Daybreak can do.

And why would they, when it's turned out not so much fun and too much work for them in every incarnation they've tried?