Persy Clutches and the Goblet of Fire. Did the Luclin devs read Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Picklesworth, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Picklesworth New Member

In the Nexus there's a NPC named Persy Clutches. Back in the day I'd run past her quite often and her name seemed a bit odd so it stuck in my head. Recently I was listening to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when I heard something that made me do a double take. Ron was said to be rescued from Percy's clutches!

Could one of the devs have been reading that book when they named that NPC?

Chronologically it works out well. The book came out about a year and a half before Shadows of Luclin so it would've been fairly new during the development of SoL. The next book came out quite a bit after Luclin so Goblet of fire would've been the latest in the series at the time.

[IMG]
    Axxius and Prathun like this.
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

There are tons of literary and pop culture references in NPC names -- even before WoW did it!

A fisherman named Bait Masterson in Freeport is one of my favorites.
    Fanra, Axxius and Shanarias like this.
  3. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I think the best ones are the J5 merc upgrade quest mobs in Ferrott Dream. All Ghostbusters references.
  4. Prathun Developer

Joffrey and Sansa are in the bard's guild in South Qeynos.
  5. fortuneteller Augur

Curious, you not breaking some copyright law by using that ?
  6. Endaar Augur

I'm still trying to figure out what "TR" stands for in Tris Wallow.
  7. Prathun Developer

When I was naming characters in Dreadspire, I was going for vaguely olde European-sounding to fit the gothic environment. A few characters were references to actual people (Old Lady Smotts, Britton Harmony, Irrissa the Seer) or were my ancestor's family names (Duncan, Hutchison). Tris Wallow III wasn't a reference to anyone or anything in particular and there's no hidden meaning there.
  8. Morthakia Augur

This made me laugh. Not sure Prathun got the joke though :)

Hint: Remove the “TR” from trIS wallow.
  9. Endaar Augur

I'm not sure if I should be relieved to know I can stop trying to figure out the double-entendre, or disappointed that it isn't one in the first place. Thanks for ending the mystery though!
    Prathun likes this.
  10. Lianeb Augur

Fluffy the giant spider pet for one of the names in Droga always seemed a Harry Potter reference to me
    Gyurika Godofwar and Prathun like this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

12. Kiras Augur

Tower of Rot has a Quincy Hollows. Someone was probably a Bleach fan.
    Prathun likes this.
  13. Prathun Developer

eepok likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Have no opinion on the copyright issue, but names like these are fun Easter Egg things that I love to find. Thank you.
    Endaar likes this.
  15. Ceffener Augur

I’ll go out one limb and say using a generic name from a book with thousands of names is something hard to copyright. It’s not like GoT is the only text that can ever have the name Jon in it.

Except for if you are Prince™️
    Or The artist formerly known as Prince™️

Then you can copyright whatever you want.
    Prathun likes this.