Auto follow

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by GreatWaste, Apr 26, 2019.

1. GreatWaste New Member

My wife and I just started playing EQ and we were wondering how to make our toons auto follow each other so one of us could step away to take care of the kids. Does anyone know how to do that?
  2. hellohello123 Lorekeeper

Target the person and type /fol

Careful though, the follow code sucks and the person behind can fall off cliffs and things. Helps if their frame rate is high.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

Yeah autofollow can be a problem. Goid news though, once mage levels up a bit, there's CotH
  4. Pani Augur

make a social key.
    first line = /target wife name
    2nd line = /pause 2 (this allows for lag)
    3rd line = /follow
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Yeah when you run on auto-follow you really have to think of it like you're towing the player on a line. Take wider arcs around trees and other obstacles than you normally would if you're turning. Check back behind you on occasion to make sure they are still there.

Also, unfortunately, if they do get stuck on something they'll have to back themselves out and re-follow. It doesn't work very well to try and work them out by pulling them.
  6. Tucoh Augur

some tips I posted recently:

It still has some issues, fixing it would dramatically improve my EQ experience, which is why I posted about it in the QoL thread

But it's still pretty useful and I've gotten great at it.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I think top-down view works better because it requires loading fewer assets as you aren't utilizing your far clip plane, and so gives you better FPS.

if I remember correctly.
  8. svann Augur

If your computers are close enough to hear you can also make an audio trigger to tell you if (when) follow fails. Control Z brings up the audio trigger window. Type
    You are no longer auto-following
    in the pattern field, then choose a sound that you wont miss, then click create. Now when that toon gets stuck or falls too far behind you get a warning. Advanced users can do the same thing in Gina.
  9. Phiyre Augur

Wouldn't it work/be less involved to just make a hotkey /follow wife/husband name.
  10. Fluid Augur

Forgive me if this is obvious, but always have the faster player do the follow. The big tamale on this one, faster computer or follower is a Bard on Selos kind of stuff. They will stick closer to you and create less problems with getting hung up.

I keep the map open so I can use FPS view. Kind of hooked on the interface for doing everything from opening doors and low ceilings/obstruction problems with other views.. If you are grouped, the other players appear as Xs on the map so you can tell when you lose them.

You will always have trouble on anything or anywhere that isn't flat. Think of a mountain where you can go around it to the left, around it to the right, or straight over it. This kind of decision making in the auto follow AI makes it go nuts when it happens. Having the follower the fastest character or maybe putting the leader in walk mode such that they follower is never more then a step away will help.