Prayer shawl

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by plobb, Apr 25, 2019.

1. plobb Elder

I was thinking to do this, still worth it? Full guide somewhere seems confusing on zam, which one is it seems like there are a million shawls.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

3 shawl quests - original (1.0) in Velious, 2.0 in UF, and 3.0 from RoF era (which turns the shawl into an aug).

Pure statwise, the aug should be phased out by now for 110s who have been good about getting augs from the last few expansions. But the end four shawl augs (a group set and a raid set) have procs/effects that you cannot find on any other aug. I would say the healer/caster procs are more useful than that melee/tank ones.

Are the procs worth it? Depends on what you want...

Is doing the shawls worth it? It's tradeskills...so if you are adverse to them, I wouldn't bother. 3.0 quest line is pretty simple. 2.0 and 1.0 are more involved but you can definitely bang those out pretty quick. Writeups for all stages are on Alla and several other places.
  3. plobb Elder

Ehh, I am but I would probably do it anyway. Appreciate the response. So it's 1.0>2.0>3.0 I assume?
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Yes. You should know that 2.0 quest line checks for 300 skill as you go through it.

Both the 1.0 and 2.0 have end events to finish (1.0 is easily soloable). 2.0 is a bit buggy so help for that is always appreciated. 3.0 does include a group mission...but it was a joke when it was introduced...now even more so.

2.0 has a raid upgrade version...but I wouldn't bother since you can still upgrade the 3.0 group version with the Plane of Shadow raid drop regardless if you did raid 2.0 or not. I actually just did that tonight myself.

The other thing about doing them is that Ngreth is still a dev so you never know if he gets time/good idea for a 4th one. Never say never...
  5. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Correct, you have to do them in order. You can skip the raid version for the 2.0 shawl but you'll want to get the raid drop for the 3.0 aug.
  6. plobb Elder

Appreciate the help
  7. Brohg Augur

I would only recommend questing up a shawl augment (specifically the sta/int one) to characters that use mana.

Getting more mana is very good compared to a small boost to +spelldamage modifier on more modern augs. Due to the lack of motivating trade off, the effect makes Shawl aug remain highly recommended for wis, enc, mag, nec.

Getting more mana is especially powerful for classes whose performance has significant resource limitation. Despite a potential trade off in stats (hDex or hWis), I think a mana-return Shawl is one of the very best augs for ambitious rangers, beastlords, druids.

The hp return of the melee aug (hp protection on tank aug) is nearly meaningless by comparison with a trade off in stats used in every melee calculation several times per second. Shawl is decidedly out of the top 20 for Ber, Mnk, Rog, Brd

For the remaining 5 classes? There's some "style" involved, and trade offs to consider regarding not just other augments but also the effort investment. That's not small.
    plobb likes this.
  8. plobb Elder

Definitely do it then, bst so Mana is an issue...
  9. Aurastrider Augur

would the final evolved group aug be worth using on an SK at 110? I already have the 1.0 and have a house dedicated just for drops specifically for the 2.0. I don't mind putting in the effort when I actually have time to play but would rather not waste my time trying to obtain a useless item. I know the proc on it is nice but is it worth the lower stats vs more current augs?
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

I still have mine in.I am just a grouper but I think my augs are pretty well kept up.
  11. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I still use mine as a 110 grouping shaman. Its an easy quest. I'm not sure there's a class in the game that couldn't do it molo at 110.
  12. Horyuken Augur

I would do it just because you never know when they will recycle old content and make it a requirement to level or get something else. The best way to make content last longer is require old stuff.
  13. kyong Augur

Dzarn...if we have our artisan's prize...can we be allowed to turn our shawl augs into a type 3..our commitment..devotion to tradeskills..the skill to perfect the final shawl aug..pretty please...:)
    RPoo and Flatchy like this.
  14. Jondalar Augur

Lost enough type 3 aug slots with evolving items. Please no.
  15. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I've always had on my EQ wishlist for some kind of Voltron-style aug that combines everything into a single aug. Shawl, tradeskill trophies, Crestra and Artisan's Prize.

A type 3 would be awesome now that you mention it, but if we're just throwing ideas out there I'd say you turn in all the above items to some NPC as a final quest and he gives you an AA like a heroic that has all those abilities.
    Tucoh likes this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So limit everyone else's choices because you can't be bothered to pay attention to your gear?
    Andarriel likes this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

I'll never get rid of my shawl on my warrior. It'd be hard to characterize that the stat increases from equipping +x AC/HP/Dex are better than the rune, but I don't even care, it's too cool to get rid of.

[20558] Brell's Sacred Stone Balm
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    7: Absorb Damage: 100%, Total: 850

For EQ building your character is all about prioritization. You've got to pretty much have 100% of non-raid stuff complete before the coldain shawl quests get to the top of the best use of your time, but if you enjoy quests, the shawl is a great option to pursue between farming gear/AAs/augs.
  18. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

The melee version of the shawl aug is an interesting case. It will actually continue to grow in damage as we level and receive AA's that effect crit. Adding to that, we now have Luck which further the added damage mod even further. The effect is pre crit:

[38561] Brell's Power
    Duration: 6h (3600 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Cast: Brell's Sacred Aloe Balm on Skill Use (100)
    2: Limit Skill: 1H Blunt
    3: Limit Skill: 1H Slash
    4: Limit Skill: Archery
    5: Limit Skill: Hand to Hand
    6: Limit Skill: 1H Pierce
    7: Limit Skill: Throwing
    8: Cast: Brell's Sacred Aloe Balm on Skill Use (100)
    9: Limit Skill: 2H Blunt
    10: Limit Skill: 2H Slash
    11: Limit Skill: 2H Pierce
    Has a chance to cast a healing spell that also increases damage every time a weapon skill is used.
    [20561] Brell's Sacred Aloe Balm
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks) Song, Dispelable: Yes
    Max Hits: 10 Outgoing Hit Successes
    1: Increase Current HP by 871
    2: Increase Hit Damage Bonus v2 by 61
    [20560] Brell's Sacred Aloe Balm
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks) Song, Dispelable: Yes
    Max Hits: 10 Outgoing Hit Successes
    1: Increase Current HP by 500
    2: Increase Hit Damage Bonus v2 by 35

I made a post right about the time of launch for TBL asking if this aug was worth keeping or should I dump it. What people responded with is why give up the damage? 10 or so hour parses showed the effect is about 8k dps on average - it was rangers that were sending out the parses (thank you for those parses). Zerkers and Monks may have an even better result. Comparatively, the dps I receive from Casting Fire and Assaulting Magic augs are less than the damage the shawl aug gives you as a passive, sustained damage. While 8k dps isn't going to make or break you, it's more than what your other augs are providing. The stat loss from Heroics is completely worth sticking with this aug, possibly forever.

Piggy backing off a comment above: giving players the option to make this a type 3 would be nice. No one is forcing you to make it a type 3. You can make the choice to keep it 7/8. No one is twisting your arm. #options
  19. Sancus Augur

That's a flat damage addition, it's not pre-crit. I see no way that could add 8k dps, even if you ignore all the stacking issues. 10 * 61 = 610; 8,000 / 610 = 13 procs per second to add 8k dps.
    RPoo and kizant like this.
  20. Jondalar Augur

Yes that is totally what I suggested....... I am the only person in the world using every type 3 slot I can.