New Zone Idea/Request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gynek, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Gynek Lorekeeper

I, as have many others, really enjoyed GMM. Nice one-off zones loosely related to the expansion are a lot of fun, especially when offering worthy rewards that make people want to visit the zone.

My question is; why create an entirely new idea for a one-off zone when there are plenty of unused locations perfect for it?

This comes from my reading of some old lore lately, and gives me a great idea that I would love to see added to EverQuest. I couldn't think of any better place, so I decided to post here!

Lake Elizerain is a location in Faydwer with rich lore surrounding it as well as the perfect set up to be a GMM type single zone! I remember reading about the lake back when I started playing in 2003, and wanting to visit and investigate it's mysteries, especially Edril's Amulet, which is practically a story rich enough to base an expansion on

Any thoughts from players? Devs? Are there any other locations on the map we've not been able to visit with rich lore that could be used for future one-off zones?
    IblisTheMage and Tucoh like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First off GMM was a 20th anniversary so I think part of the gift to us was a completely new zone. And all the great gear was also a 20th anniversary thing.

Since it was for the 20th anniversary I am not sure we will be seeing any more "one off" zones except maybe the 25th anniversary if EQ is still going strong. And that includes the great gear. But it would be nice if I was wrong :)

While I could be wrong I am not sure we can expect to see any more "single" zone releases unless the devs see this as a whole new expansion strategy and are releasing expansion content in parts.

After saying all that still no harm talking about one off zones even if we don't get them.
  3. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

one thing that would be nice is a GMM port area in POK or clickie effect to get there quicker than currently available.
  4. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

cuz you know, god forbid you have to travel through 2 whole zones to get tehre =)
  5. Cicelee Augur

You can bind in GMM. Get a magician summoned gate clickie and presto!
  6. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

I usually campfire , but yes it is very convenient to not have to waste time running though dragon scale hills
  7. Drogba Augur

We have all these powerful tools, and no deliberately challenging area's to put skills to the test.

I'd like a giant instanced dungeon with more pathers than lower guk, and no safe spots, with mobs that do horrible, nasty things. Maybe with some gates and timed switches to open them (in places where there are many pathers and some kind of damage aura to prevent people fd'ing beside the lever) , forcing you to dps/cc race to the gates to access new area's. Maybe 5+ stories of dungeon all like this, and a graveyard back at the starting area of floor 1. An evolving aug that maxes out when you complete hunter, encouraging you to find and kill everything. Some named that need certain mob types dragged onto them to damage them, forcing you to offtank the named for 20 minutes forcing you to crawl the dungeon with it to an area that has the correct mob types (because the pathers are so plentiful that you wouldnt get anywhere being static and having puller run out to drag them to you).

Everything undead, coth disabled. Floor 3-4 designed for raiders, floor 5 designed to feel too difficult to be beaten anytime in the next couple of years. Mobs that heal their companions through the floor. Whenever a mob loses aggro, it runs to a guard house and triggers a zonewide alarm system that causes many mobs to spawn and charge around the hallways searching for intruders. chanters would have something to do again ..until you reach the mobs that cant be mezzed, and have to resort to kiting them, but in the narrow hallways, this leads to many adds, and you end up kiting 20 mobs. They dont summon, so you can dps them down gradually.

Every section of the dungeon could feel like it is its own minor raid event designed for 1 group, that is both a test of the group and its composition, as well as needing solving on 'how to' which requires much theory crafting on the forums to work out. hunter credit resets upon death until you have an entire floor completed (each floor with its own hunter list). Everything respawns except the namers. 90% of mobs see invis.

Gonna stop and eat a pizza or my rambling gonna be 50 poorly written paragraphs instead of just 3. I miss the 90's when developers were trying to kill people.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Sancus Augur

It's worth noting that GMM was originally (partially) developed during Rain of Fear, circa 2012/2013. So while it was new to us, they were making use of partially developed pre-existing assets.
    Brohg likes this.
  9. Duder Augur

YES PLEASE

Id love the next hardcore heritage to be Kedge, where everything sees invis, and standard Faerune doesn't work, perhaps only a dropped click buff for a relatively short time duration (20m?), mobs that blind, mobs that run, mobs that fear, charm, mez, the water ought to be freezing and inflict damage, everything terrible you can imagine, WTB!
  10. Dewey Augur

No thank you. This would be horrible.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I thought it was CoTF, RoF missing portal we all believed back in the day to be PoMischief or Morells Castle.

A few expansions have zones that didn't make the cut. SoD, TSS, RoF are the ones I vaguely remember zones being cut from and I'm pretty sure after talking to our map maker at the time CotF was slatted to have a few other zones, if the portals that were around at the beginning of beta were anything to go by. How far any of those zones actually got I don't know, but I would imagine the zone its self was created.

Personally I want to go to Norraths other moon, Drinal. More kittys or something else?! I want to know what is up there. :)

Luclin was also very rich in lore, and I seem to remember a lot of unfinished stories there.
  12. Gynek Lorekeeper

I don't necessarily think overtly hard everything is the thing that would make EQ exciting. I think there definitely should be a couple of highly rewarding dungeons that are like that, but my idea for an exciting expansion would be:

A fairly good sized continent type area. Maybe around Faydwer sized? With different "Starting Zones/Cities" maybe 4 or 5 of them on different sides of the continent.

Players would start the expansion in different locations based on Race. Races would obviously be grouped together, like Trolls, Ogres and Dark Elves could share a starting area, Wood Elves, High Elves, Dwarves another, etc. Make the "progression" through the expansion a little more open and different depending where you start, but everyone kinda ends up in the same place in the end.

Then, make things much more vague. No NPC names on the achievements, no "Quest Giver" tag on quest NPCs. Make it a bit more old school, you have to talk to people/npcs, find out about quests for useful gear. Some of your guildies started on the other side of the continent, and they know a neat quest for something you want over on their end!

I think it would bring back a lot of that mystery and awe of foreign lands/experiences that were a big part of what I think made EverQuest so magical back in the day for a lot of people. Meeting someone from a faraway land and hearing of the types of adventures that awaited in their home territory was fascinating, and this wouldn't be a hugely tough or inconvenient way to achieve that, as opposed to making the expansion back-breakingly hard and hoping that's fun for everyone.
  13. Duder Augur

Don't worry Dewey, GMM will still be there for you