Parse / Augment Question for SK

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Morigaine, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Morigaine Elder

I have recently returned to the game and was hoping to get some feedback on my SK main weapon augment. In the past when I was raiding, I would just use the highest AC augment possible in the primary slot. In reviewing Magelo top profiles this appears to still be standard practice. Since I am not yet raiding again, I am using the GMM knight 1H and consequently no longer have the type 8 slot. I’m curious which primary augment would be better in today’s game. I have the exhumed rune (5 dmg rune 5 proc) and a conflagrant gem of striking (12 dmg). I could also fairly easily upgrade the rune aug to the energizing attachment (8 dmg rune 7 proc).

So I know the rune will provide incremental mitigation (and agro) and the higher dmg augment will provide increased lifetaps. My real question is what would be the best methodology to parse a comparison? I don’t believe I have seen a great way to parse rune mitigation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either the augment selection or the parsing methodology?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
  2. Brohg Augur

Magelo ranks by AC. Completely independently of that choice's virtue, any choice that is higher AC will place that character higher on the ranking.

Start over.
  3. Morigaine Elder

Brohg - apologies if I am being obtuse because I do respect your feedback. I realize magelo will default to an AC sort (and I know some will pad magelo AC with powersources, etc), but if I review the SK's of ROI, Machin Sin, Triton, etc. I see the majority have Relife in there. There are some with the dmg aug, but I also see one with the energizing attachment as well. This is what triggered my question. So any clues or insight you can provide is appreciated.
  4. Brohg Augur

My point is it's like asking a cat which is more nutritious: cat food or dog food? Cat doesn't know, cat just likes cat food. Magelo doesn't know what's best, magelo just likes AC things. Eventually overall upgrades have swamped some of the funnier juxtapositions of years past, but the top rankings used to include a ridiculous number of characters equipping, like, 50 or 52ac+nothing augs over 45ac +dex+agi+1000hp+attack+spell+etc options. These days, the players who own those characters have made the magelo-rewarded choice to equip only 65+ac augs in the open slots regardless of their other stats.

Regarding "open slots" - there are 21 equipment slots, with weapon, shield, charm, and 4 evolvers having special restrictions. Evolvers get evolver_augs, charm gets charm_aug, shield gets shield_aug, (for some folks, Shawl aug "eats" another slot) and primary gets -- something. That leaves 14 open slots. There are 15 65ac+ augs

Now that "something" in primary can be Burning Lands HoTT aug Immortal Corporeal Light Zephyr (base 2k, crits up to whatever), or Darkened Sea lifetap aug Blood Draining Spike (base 450, crits as a nuke to whatever, then crits as a heal to whatever), or Darkened Sea rune aug Energizing Attachment, sure. But if you ask Magelo, the only choice it cares about is the highest raw stats aug that can fit there: Relife Adornment.

What that whole strat and the considerations it encodes doesn't assert is that Relife Adornment is actually the 15th-most beneficial aug that can be equipped. Note that 1h+shield is only used sometimes, so any aug in the top 14 overall probably should be on real armor, to be worn all the time! And even if it is actually 15th-best, lot of folks don't have 4 evolved evolvers, so maybe it only needs to be top 18 in real quality to belong in armor instead of the 1h.

So. When I see people equipping Relife Adornment in their primary on Magelo, that's what it means most directly to me: that they're making decisions based on Magelo's opinion (cat food is yummiest, says the cat), or copying those that do.
  5. Lianeb Augur

Ranked 14th or 18th overall. But you would be hard pressed to find a better stat aug for your primary slot.
  6. Monkman Augur

Magelo should rank by parse..
    Allayna, Brohg and Daedly like this.
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Be quiet people...I am developing a sucker, er "buyer list" for the inventory of Invested Wurmy's I have for sale on FV... so that people can be gud on magelo.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

True, but a stat aug in your primary weapon slot is a complete waste for a knight. That slot is your main source of damage. At this stage of the game, and the past few years, augments have fallen far behind and contribute about 1% to your character's stats (defense) per slot.

We're talking about 10k AC and 310k HP characters choosing a 60 AC, 350 HP augment that is completely inert and wasting all your 1000s of AA investment that improve damage, heals, crits, proc rate, twin proc, belt synergies, and now Luck.

A Lucky critical from e.g. Blood Draining Spike can heal for well over 40k HP. The Soul of the Grandmaster in your shield isn't far behind that and oh yeah! it's /autoskill.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  9. Chaosflux Augur

As a knight I think I switched to Lifetap augs in my primary back in Underfoot, didnt know this was even a debate at the current levels of AAs that boost them other than Magelo padding.

Granted either Is a tiny % of your overall survivability and there is more important things to worry about, but one is on average a better choice all around.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  10. Sithsonn Elder

Its really your preference but if you are really going to be doing dps your 1her is in your bags, and the 2her is out
    Liljit likes this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If I'm having to use a 1h/shield, I'd rather have a little more ac and heroic stats, on the off chance it might cause a DI shift or an avoidance check it wouldn't otherwise have. Its that simple. Updated my magelo like once in 5 years, has nothing to do with that.

Talking about the stat increase being a drop in the bucket then bringing up the dps/heal proc gains is pretty pot and kettle.
  12. Wulfhere Augur

Those two lifetap procs average about 100k healing per minute (combined) for me. That's better then an off chance and fills your hit points from non-melee damage besides. Let your AA work for you.
  13. Metapsyche Augur

Blast! I knew it was a matter of time before my secret of immortal zephy combined with a darkened malleus hit the streets..
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Assuming that's correct, even assuming 80% of it is from the weapon aug (yes, I use grandmaster over 5 ac more), you're saying 80k healed per MINUTE is in any way shape or form significant?

Take a look at how much damage you take when tanking. Its not significant unless it actually lands and crits right *before* you would go so low as to die, just like the extra heroics is only significant if you happen to have a miss *where* you would go so low as to die. But the in the former, a healer could save you, in the latter, only that miss could save you.

An average miss against anything that matters (stuff hitting for 40-80k range on a single hit) is better than an average proc healing damage you have to survive through.

I am not knocking your choice. I'm saying, there is no real logical validation for either, as the chance of either being significant is so small as to be meaningless, so to be a matter of preference.

I'd be more likely to use base damage aug for the damage than a lifetap for the healing, honestly. Its at least a real difference (of course, nothing wrong with a high damage 1h aug in a high damage 1her for swarming either, if you can't quite live in a specific content with a 2her).
  15. Wulfhere Augur

I parsed them at 100k healed per minute for me, with max AA and 28 Luck, yes.

Okay, let's play a game :)
    Let's call it "Hit Points". The Rules are:

1. Player starts with 100% hit point
    2. Player engages in combat and looses hit points when others do damage
    3. Players can win treasure from combat that affects their hit points
    4. When hit points reach zero, game over

You have two character classes to choose from:

Aa. Player can mitigate reduction of hit points 5% better
    Ab. Player can avoid reduction of hit points 5% better
    Ac. Player class called "warrior"

Ba. Player can replenish hit points by 10% a total of 10 times
    Bb. Player class called "knight"

Treasure Chest XX
    Ca. Players who win this treasure have a choice of one item:
    Cb. An item that mitigates hit points loss by +0.01%
    Cd. An item that avoids hit point loss by +0.01%
    Cc. An item that replenishes hit points by 30% per minute while in combat

Which item would you choose from this treasure chest Yep?
  16. Wulfhere Augur

Okay let's downgrade that treasure to a single item (not the two proc augs combined) to make it more of an apples to apples debate.

Cc. An item that replenishes hit points by 20% per minute while in combat
  17. p8aa Elder

Without disc, the difference of mitigation between knights and warriors is 1 %, the avoidance is the same.
  18. Sithsonn Elder

Have you parsed the new heals target target 1her aug?