Upgrading to Heroic if over Leve 85?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mindreaper, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Mindreaper New Member

Hi All,

I have started playing again recently and I noticed the Heroic option when logging in. I have an 87 Shaman with just over 1100 AA's so i have two questions (for right now):

1. If i choose to upgrade my Shaman to Heroic, will he retain his current level or revert back to level 85?

2. How many AA's would a Shaman get if I choose to upgrade him to Heroic?

Thanks in advance!
    Mindreaper
  2. Zanarnar Augur

1) yup. I used a heroic upgrade on my lv100 beastlord so he could get a few progression AA's

2) Well, normally not many, you'll gain the 5 from DoN progression, and 5 from OOW. However I'm going to guess your not using auto grant for some reason... I'm honestly not sure but I believe you will gain all the AA's from 51-85 excluding tradeskill ones. (I had been using auto-grant so I had all of them and just used it for the 10 progression ones I needed :) )
  3. Scorrpio Augur

Upgrading post-85 character is a dubious thing. If you are JUST past 85, heroic gear might be an upgrade to what you got. Even so, getting and selling a krono, getting some RoTs and going for TBM gear might be a stronger option.
    If you use autogrant, you will have all the same AA minus the DoN progression and MPG trials.

If you got a friend or two, trials can be done very easily within about 2-3 hours. They are lvl 70 content. DoN is a bit more tedious mainly due to faction grind.
    Heroic also boosts various skills you may have had lagging, so it saves you a bit of grind there.
  4. Nifty Slacker Augur

2) At lvl 87 with auto grant, you'll wind up with around 4k aa's. Auto grant gives more aa's than just heroic, so I would at least go all access for those. As far as gear, grinding gribble missions in dead hills will help a lot pre lvl 100, and after that you'll want broken mirror missions, or skip to eok gear. If you can wait, you can wear crafted conflagrant gear at lvl 106.

Like previous post, heroic gives skills, some progression, and some gear that can really help out. Also gives 2 24 slot bags and a kind of crappy mount. I would suggest going heroic and getting all access. Best of luck to you.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If you aren't All Access, you won't fix any problems by going Heroic. Free-to-play is the wall you are hitting, and a Heroic toon will only appear to address that issue for a level or two.

I believe going All Access for a month will even give you more AAs than Heroic would, and I think All Access will be a better upgrade in general for you. Careful...once you go All Access, you probably won't want to go back :).

I've gone Heroic on a couple of toons that were already max level (mostly because I didn't want to level up Alcohol Tolerance :D), but I had station cash to burn. The Heroic upgrades are trivial compared to going All Access from free-to-play.

Edit: If you are already paying for All Access, be sure the Auto-grant box is checked on your Alternate Ability window :)
  6. Fluid Augur

IMO it would be more effective to just go Gold for a month and upgrade your Merc for that month. Click the 'autogrant button on the Alt Advance menu, logout, log back in, PRESTO probably 5k+ AAs. That plus the Journeyman level V<?> Merc will make you a stronger player for that month until the subscription runs out and you have to go back to Journeyman I Merc.

I kind of did this on one of my box accounts. Some of the content like the Merc upgrade is tough to do solo for some characters types. I am probably in a different situation since I have dozens of characters on my second account so chipping in an extra $15 for a month gets me 10s of thousands of AAs for them. Anyway I think it is good general advice, particularly if you have multiple characters over level 50.

FWIW, got my rear end run out of Feerrott the Dream a number of times 2 boxing with one weak account trying to do the Merc quest. Silver Mercs and insufficient AAs just don't cut it at the higher levels. Even the Gold journeyman level I Mercs leave a lot to be desired at the higher levels. Silver level apprentice Merc healer was OOM after every single fight trying to heal a journeyman level I tank.

If you do decide to upgrade your Merc, let people in the forum know what server you are on just in case you want some help.
  7. Password1234 Augur

IMO it's only really worth going heroic on a post-85 character if it's tank on an account you intend to keep silver/f2p most of the time. The full set of 30ac augs is basically required to be relatively functional, and there's only a handful of better non-prestige augs once you get to CotF and TBM. The heroic charm aug still has the highest ac of any non-prestige charm aug in the game. You'd still need to go gold once in a while to catch up on AAs, but the augs make it possible to limp along in between gold months (up to a certain point).

Other than that, I don't think it's worth it.