Fellowships - Why is there a lockout timer?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RandyLahey, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RandyLahey Elder

Just posting here to ask about this. Relatively frequently lately I will be xping and will have a buddy or guildy want to come xp with me. A large majority of the time I find it easier to gate out, add to my fellowship, and have them campfire down with the insignia.

When they are leaving or done, they aren't able to re-add themselves to their fellowship for quite a while (I think it's 24 hours).

It's not such a big deal with me as my fellowship doesn't change as it's mostly my box crew, but just curious on the reasoning behind having that as a thing. Is it related to vitality for some reason? I can't personally come up with a good reason for this, but maybe I'm missing the point behind it.
    Funk and john5 like this.
  2. Shadows Journeyman

If I was to guess, I would say it's in place to discourage the very thing you're doing.
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

So that people don't setup multiple spots of 3 alts logged out at specific locations ready to fellowship add to easily warp around i'd imagine.
  4. Funk Augur

To discourage using a campfire that they added to the game?

There is absolutely no reason to have the timer. So what if you leave a fellowship and join another to go hang out with other friends or even have alts camped out so you can place a fire in a certain location.
    This is literally why the fellowship was added to the game... for easy travel.

Warping? You're using a teleport clicky that was added to the game by the developers that has a cooldown built in already.... you can't use it any more than it allows regardless, even if you join another fellowship. This does not qualify as warping.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I think we both know I wasn't referring to THAT kind of warping. Being able to rapidly move all over the game every 15 minutes by just constantly joining different fellowships setup with alts is exactly the kind of thing people would abuse if given the ability.
  6. Funk Augur

Abuse how? To get where every 15 minutes? Like you can't gate to lobby or PoK and get where ever you want to go in that same time? I'm not sure if you play on TLP or live but at 110 basically any class can get anywhere in 10 minutes. So the campfire is merely a convenience.

If you are so against this idea let's hear some valid reasons instead of "it'll be abused every 15 minutes" Because that's pretty vague.
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm vague on purpose because the fellowship system as it is makes it easy to abuse certain zones by simply zerging locations on 3 characters each time I want to plant a campfire in a certain spot.

If I could just setup alts in those locations ahead of time and just add myself to that fellowship whenever I want to get to that location then you may as well just say go ahead and use actual warps instead.

If you actually can't think of how people could abuse the ability to teleport around different zones every 15 minutes then you are either too innocent for this earth or lying to yourself.
  8. Funk Augur

Like I said before, you must play on TLP server because anyone can get anywhere in 10 minutes. With a cooldown of 15 minutes you could run there and still have 5 minutes on your insignia. So the abuse thing is not valid.
  9. Cicelee Augur

You may be able to zone into most zones within ten minutes. Getting to a specific camp spot is another thing for the majority of classes.

Imagine a campfire in the middle of Mearatas. Then you drop FS, join another one and immediately go to the gnome NPC deep in VP for a lesson burn. Then after that drop FS, join another one and immediately go to the room in Kor Sha Labs in EOK where the final raid is at and kill a named you want for hunter achievement.

That is the abuse he is referring to.
  10. smash Augur

And it did get abused.
  11. Intenso Augur

They don’t care about third party software or warping so you may as well warp yea
  12. Intenso Augur

Many ban waves have daybreak done on normal servers my count is 0
  13. Tucoh Augur

Fellowships are intended to be a tight-knit group of you and your closest friends, separate from a guild/raid. People aren't supposed to be transient members of different fellowships on a rolling basis.

Now, whether EQ should have a function that allows 2-3 group members to have a game-wide summoning circle is a different question. WoW implemented Meeting Stones for this purpose:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Meeting_Stone

And I don't think it'd be a bad idea. Something like it is the #1 thing that a "Leveling Server" should have, and a new vet reward I think that would make sense (or a mage ability...) is a game-wide Call of the Hero.
  14. john5 Lorekeeper

Hundreds of players are currently cheating, warping around on PvP servers, using botting software on TLP and live but yes, being able to move to one campfire every 15 minutes, regardless of how many alts you have is going to be game-breaking.

You clearly don't come from Xegony or you wouldn't have been so quick to mess with Randy. You'll pay for your insolence, knave. One of these times when you leave the house, Randy and I will be waiting to slip in and put one of your sodas in the freezer. Enjoy cleaning up sticky ice for 5 to 10 minutes, punk!
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Considering fellowships are integral for many using alternative means to avoid TBL progression I wouldn't expect them to be changed atm.

Of course if Daybreak didn't make fellowships key in getting around overly difficult flagging in TBL we might not need to have this discussion.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Allayna Augur

I would think it would have more to do with vitality.
  17. Funk Augur

So I have a camp in Mearatas. Gate 3 characters, run to VP (horrible place to burn lesson imo). My mage can walk to any camp in VP untouched and CoH others, put a camp down within 10minutes of gating from Mearatas. Ohh I'm done in VP. So I gate 3 guys back to lobby and click iksar statue in guildhall and I'm in Kor'Sha labs to any camp in 10 minutes also(kor'sha is easier to navigate than you think I guess). Throw down an camp and....wait 5 minutes for insignia timer to campfire others in.

Bards have double invis, mages have CoH. The idea that going to different camps every 15 minutes is abusing campfires is absurd.

Now, the TBL thing with progression and campfiring others in for missions...that's a whole nother conversation, along with the Vitality comment which is probably a valid point.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I like your post, but this part here made me laugh out loud before I finished the sentence for context. I mean, there's only like 2 people who play any PVP across the whole game. One druid and one rogue, iirc.

But the devs love those two guys. From the latest patch notes:
    Oh, and fellowships do not need to be restricted, they do not break anything in the game. Remove the 12-person cap, remove the timer on joining/leaving, and overall, remove any barriers to quick travel and letting people (or their alts) play together. There's plenty of other things discouraging people from playing, no reason to keep slow travel around any longer.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

For reasons as stated travel wise.. and no you can not get to every zone in game in 10 min or less.. with out very specific classes like a mage..

And also what was touched upon. Vitality. If you don't have a working knowledge of how that could be abused if enabled to simply join and drop from fellowships..

Think a 100% always on xp bonas.. which yes is game breaking.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Funk Augur

If the vitality thing were game breaking it would be a lot longer than 1 day timer on switching fellowships.

And name a camp in the game that's not reachable in 10 minutes on live servers by either a group or someone + their alts.