New spell messages

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jhenna_BB, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Audio triggers work fine, or rather did until they changed something that should never been changed in the first place! What was wrong with leaving the wording as was and putting the link in where the spell name was?

Also why do i need a link for when I cast a spell, when it does damange, when it twincasts, when it lucky twincasts, when it fizzles, when it reflects, or when it does anything!

I'd love to be able to turn this off, if I don't know what my spells do by now, I shouldn't be playing.

Having my spell window now half blue and half pink is not what I want! Especailly as loot links are also pink!

I also dislike the idea of my spells no longer showing as you but showing as Yinla! Yinla is me, I do not refer to myself in the 3rd person!
  2. smash Augur

Gotta say I agree with most of the things mentioned here, I would rather have been without them, it is only causing problems, and the old been good and you knew how it was.

The changes have only given problems.

And about the links, I will bet a lot on that is what causing lags when people got log turned on, because there now have to be a convert from with link til no link in the log. Could be virus checker having a setting changed by windows update
  3. kizant Augur

Some of it to try to give the game some modern usability elements and to help newer players or even returning players who have gotten used to other games, etc.

Being able to turn some of this stuff off makes sense and you could post that as an improvement on their issue tracker. But the game is a constant work in progress and that might be on the list of things to do as it is.

They were supposed to change the 3rd person references to You so you might be seeing a bug. But I did notice that it depends which filters you're looking at. If you nuke yourself you see the 3rd person value in the other filter and You in your own spells filter for example. It kinda makes sense like that so not sure if it's a problem.

The log file changes make it easier to gather accurate spell counts because now you can weed out interrupts and fizzles without a bit of guessing. The log entries have been very inconsistent over the years and it makes sense getting some more conformity. The way certain entries word/display a spell name should be similar to every entry that displays a spell name, etc. But it's not a good when it breaks something people used to do.. but I think it's better to look at how those problems should ideally be addressed vs just keeping things as is.

I'm curious what do you all get out of fizzle audio triggers? I can't imagine what I would do with one. Do you just hit a bind one time and wait until something tells you your spell landed before hitting again? And if a fizzle happens it tells you that early?
    Sancus likes this.
  4. Belkar_OotS Augur

Fizzles are nice to know for buffers and debuffers.

If I fizzle on a haste or DI cast the fizzle trigger tells me to check my previous action and make sure I actually cast that haste or DI and to recast it.

I also used it extensively when I would vinelash swarms of mobs to HS. I was very keen to know resists and fizzles since a few seconds means death.

Its not really important for *I spam crap* spells.

In game audio triggers are superior in many ways especially if you experience lag in GINA ever. I used to have tons of delayed emotes on Queen in EOK and I relied on the in game triggers to make sure I didn't miss them.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. kizant Augur

That makes sense. With GINA you do have to be careful about performance and some bad regular expressions can be pretty slow. Plus it might be checking a ton of triggers if you've still have old ones enabled. But if you only turn on what you really need and have logint to 1 or less it should be pretty quick. One thing I used to do is have an in-game trigger for twincasts. I added it back during SoD and got used to it but had to remove it in the past couple years because it actually caused the game to lag. So, I think both can have issues. At least GINA only delays the trigger while the in-game can delay everything if it's something that's triggered a lot.

I guess if your cases are very specific then adding fizzle trigger on a per spell basis isn't that terrible. If it's only 3 or 4 spells or something you're adding individual checks for. A blanket trigger for all your spells would be a problem and maybe they can come up with a better option but probably only if enough people asked for it. That's where the voting on the issue tracker is important. Or if turning off the spell names is enough to solve it. That seems like a reasonable thing to ask for.