New spell messages

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jhenna_BB, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Sometimes you need to talk to players when you make changes to EQ. Don't get me wrong, I really like the recent changes of the new highlights with spell, proc, discs, AA ability names in them. It's really neat. However, certain lines are completely unnecessary to add these and breaks audio triggers players have used for many, many years.

Players can no longer use a trigger for "your spell fizzles" because now it reads "your Summer's Tempest rk. III spell fizzles". What this eliminates is a players ability to see others damage. We now have to make our audio trigger "spell fizzles", which would pick up every damn fizzle a player makes on a raid or in a group.

The same goes for "your spell is interrupted". It now reads "your Fereth Balm rk. III spell is interrupted". So much the same, you will pick up everyone's "spell is interrupted" if you have other's spell's on. Same with "Your ability is interrupted", using "ability is interrupted" will pick up all other players. You get the rest.

If you think the ability to not see what other players are doing is important, look no further than the GamParse 2.0 thread and how many pages it is. Please reverse these changes on these three lines. The actual damage and heal lines with the spells name in them is quite sufficient. Thank you!
    Yinla likes this.
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Being completely ignorant of these things, is there no way to do a "Your * spell fizzles" type of wildcard?
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes that is something that can be used for this and many other cases to help improve the quality of audio triggers.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Is it really too much to ask to not have to use third party software to make IN GAME audio triggers work? I don't need Gina for spell fizzles and interrupts and shouldn't have to need it for that.

I don't even raid with Gina. Why would I use something that reports a line of text fired 5 seconds after an audio trigger would tell me?

Gina is a crutch.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They could change it to "your spell fizzles" then name of spell.

I think the smart thing when adding additional or new info to game messages is to retain the original wording as much as possible and add the new info to it as opposed to rewriting the message completely.
    Yinla and BlueberryWerewolf like this.
  6. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I don't disagree at all, I just didn't know if there was an easy workaround.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

First if you are not parsing you can always turn off PC spells and not worry about those messages.

Second Gina will report your triggers real time just like the in game one as long as you set your log interval to 0 (or if you use 1 you will have at most a 1 second delay)

Third Gina is very useful for sharing the triggers so that only one person has to take the time to make them (and easy to share with new members) and you don't have to worry about typos in the triggers causing them to fail.

Being able to manage audio triggers with greater ease is a reason enough to use Gina.
    Sokki likes this.
  8. kizant Augur

They really should just remove the in-game capability. It doesn't perform well and has very few options. It's better offloading that processing to another process.
    Sancus likes this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would disagree. First there are some that simply do not want to use third party software. And second what if GINA became unavailable for a period of time? I use GINA exclusively but I could transition back to EQ audio triggers for some stuff in a pinch.
    Yinla and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  10. Pani Augur

Where and how do you set a log interval?
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

/loginterval in game.
  12. kizant Augur

GINA doesn't have to be the only option and they could always endorse or support additional applications that run beside the main client. It might be hard to do politically within the company but as times goes on it may be better to let them focus on core game features and drop all the excess stuff other people are doing better. Whether it's in-game voice/mic support, mp3 players, parsers, audio triggers, etc.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think they are putting any focus towards any of those features anymore and dropping them from the game would require them to take away focus from other things.
  14. kizant Augur

It's a problem for the exact reason this thread exists. Just because something isn't actively being worked on doesn't mean they can't have a negative impact on future decisions. The last thing we want is the format of the log file to be dictated by an old feature that has little use. Or a new feature being limited or avoided because the client may not have resources available if a user happens to be running x, y, and z old features which should have been abandoned. Or an old feature like the mp3 player to break everything because it depends on something the next version of windows doesn't support. Keeping around old stuff 'just cause' is always going to be costly in the long run.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Something tells me that the current audio trigger system in the game is not limiting changes to the logging to make it better. This thread is a good hint at that.
    Brohg likes this.
  16. kizant Augur

But it broke something that some players used to rely on. Are you reading a different thread? I don't want changes undone but the op has a valid point.
    Sancus likes this.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Only people who should be parsed are app's to new guilds to ensure cast count an correct spells are being cast.

Any one else trying to parse anyone else does not really matter.

EDIT: As long as you can parse yourself. Thats all that matters.
  18. kizant Augur

That's idiotic if you're a raiding guild and it's not simply a matter of some folks get lazy. Which does happen. I've seen plenty of people play at 100% during their app period then starting sleeping afterwards.

The bigger issue though is that the game changes far too often and most people can't keep up with what they're supposed to be doing. Performance needs to worked on consistently and regularly and monitored by people who know what the data means.
    Bigstomp and Sancus like this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Admittedly .. That my last post you quoted does rely upon them actually keeping up their good play. And I don't think anyone would on purposefully suck..
  20. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

On farm, people get bored. It's not slacking on purpose. It's also good to look at parses and give a little kick to the rear end when boredom takes hold when the numbers lessen, despite having proper adps.