Lag upon mobs death.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Apr 19, 2019.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

I get anxious just by reading this. The threat level has grown so much. Deeeeep breaths.... wooooozaaa.....
    Whulfgar likes this.
  2. smash Augur

My theory is that this is the combined things of changes that have been implemented lately.

Lag in general started after you implemented the TAB thing, it started to show up.

Now when you kill a mob, cast a spell/use discs, you include a link to the faction, a link to the spell/disc.

Now when it goes into the log, you have to remove the links again, which means the parses gotta make it to plain text.

So, I think it comes from the combined changes.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

My guess would be a faulty/inefficient write. It is file size based, so something about maybe loading the file instead of some sort of append write/pipe whatever...
    Whulfgar likes this.
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

There has to be a commonality to it as I haven't personally noticed it and many others haven't, as well.
    For those that have seen the lag are you running HDDs or SSDs?
    Whulfgar likes this.
  5. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I had this issue from the patch and couldnt understand why, until I excluded the eq directory for windows defender. Guess the exclusion got reset somehow.
    Winnowyl and Whulfgar like this.
  6. Pani Augur

What is the log interval file in eqclient.ini? I looked for it, but don't see it in mine. Should I add it and what interval should it be set to?
    Also, lag for us seemed to start with the tabbed chat windows. Then with the faction messages, then with the spell links.
    Just did the exclusion in Windows Defender, will see how that goes.
  7. Nniki Augur

The log interval setting look like this:

LogInterval=0

By default, I don't believe it will be listed in the eqclient.ini file (i.e. if you've never changed it), but the default value will be 1. If you want to change it in game, simply type /loginterval and the number you desire, such as /loginterval 5.

The value is in seconds, and it controls how often your log file is written to. If the value is 0, there is no delay, which is ideal for GINA/trigger usage, but immediate writes affect the performance for some people, so the default 1 is often recommended in those cases.

Niente was wondering if a higher delay (of 5) helps alleviate the lag people are experiencing.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

I put the whole file in the exclusion .. not just 1 toon. This way if you box heavily it will not effect any of the eq clients .
  9. smash Augur

I guess this only for testing the /loginterval 5, because it cannot work in raids, if it writes in the log each 5 sec, then the AT can be up to 5 seconds delayed, which = wipe in some raids.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  10. Skauri_BoxofKurage New Member

Try regularly archiving your log files at least once a week. Smaller log files are less work to open up, and write to. It may help your lag.
  11. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Friend of mine archives his every single day. He started with no lag. Around 15MB, he got lag. It just went downhill from there. He did the exclusion in Windows Defender.... no more lag buildup. My roommate and I.. mine was 50MB. I have no idea what size his was, but I'm betting *huuuuuuge*. Once we made the exclusion in Windows Defender.... no lag.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Got this all weekend when my log files reached a modest size of ~10 MBs. On a ramdisk with no virus protection + windows defender / firewall/everything disabled.
  13. svann Augur

10MB is really tiny for an eq log file. Something is going on very odd.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

There was a Windows update in the couple weeks... Sounds like it's reset the log file exclusions for some people. If that directory isn't excluded, especially for users with HDD's you're going to see massive lag while Windows Defender tries to real time scan a file that's changing constantly. SSD users don't see the issue as badly, but it's still there - the faster the SSD, the more mitigated it gets.
  15. Greymantle Augur

My windows defender is turned off as i use NAV. I have noticed overall lag as well as a stutter at mob death. It is effecting mercs and their ability's. Had a frustrating weekend as i was dieing to blue mobs in zone i regularily have no issues with yellows.
  16. Milfurd Augur

In the past 2 days . I'm noticing a lag after EVERY time a mob dies. I get 4 to 5 freezing. This doesn't happen in other games.

Turning /log off. Seems to fix it. But I want to use /log on .
  17. svann Augur

Has anyone (that has this lag) run task manager resource monitor to see if there is a spike in cpu/disk/gpu/network?
  18. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Try adding the EQ Folder or at least the Log Folder to the Windows Defender exception list, if you had previously done this it will need to be added again. That seems to solve the issue for most people.
  19. Belkar_OotS Augur

I notice quite a bit of lag when mobs die. It is especially bad when someone levels in the group.
  20. Brohg Augur

All mass market security software (Defender, NAV, MacAfee, Kaspersky) includes the facility to ignore the log file. Find that in NAV, it will work to obviate the lag in the same fashion as described for Defender, since it's the same gd problem and you're not special
    Winnowyl likes this.