Lag upon mobs death.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Is anyone else catching massive lag upon a mob's death ?
  2. Zolav Augur

This was happening to a guildie the other night in Empyr. Odd bug for sure
    Whulfgar likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As suggested in Player Support forum best idea may be to start a new log file or turn logging off if you aren't using any programs that need it.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

Tyvm. That worked.

Do you happen to know why its doing this by chance?
  5. Mithra Augur

1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center
    2. Click "Virus & threat protection"
    3. Click "Virus & threat protection settings"
    4. Click "Add or remove exclusions"
    5. Click the + sign
    6. Select Folder
    7. Select your EQ folder.
    8. Click Select Folder
    9. Close everything

Might solve it
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Some people said it might have to do with faction messages since it's happening on a mobs death. Maybe caused by updating the Faction under /faction? I generally keep my log file pretty small only heard about others getting the lag.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  7. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

As the log file grows, the issue seems to come back. Turning logs off isn't really a viable solution for raiding, either. However, Mithra's post above fixed it for me, my roommate, and our friend. The friend didn't have lag initially like we did, his appeared over time, as his log got bigger. At about 15MB it appeared.
  8. Nniki Augur

I raided with a 2GB log file this week (SSD, /loginterval 0), and I didn't notice any irregular lag.

The most common cause of logging lag that I've seen is people simply not setting exclusions in Windows Defender / antivirus.
  9. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Ya I had to readd EQ to the exclusions list and it fixed the issue for me.
  10. Zunnoab Augur

I'll look into the Windows Defender suggestion but that wouldn't explain it happening on mob deaths in particular.

To be very entirely clear, this is a new problem as of the patch this week, perhaps introduced with tabbed windows and made worse with the recent patch?

I've seen it suggested that minimized spam windows cause issues too, and that a small but not minimized spam window helps as well. All of these things may be related to different issues, of course. It is beyond question that this week's patch caused issues though.
  11. svann Augur

Turn on your task manager, performance tab, open resource monitor.
    Then when you get lag see if one of your resources is spiking. CPU, memory, disk, network
  12. niente Developer

To help diagnose this -
    Do you notice this is still an issue if you have /loginterval 5?
    Otherwise, what is your LogInterval set to in eqclient.ini currently (with the lag problems)?
    Zunnoab likes this.
  13. Saroc_Luclin Augur

Having this happen to me regularly now.

With logging off /log off; I have no problem at all.

With /log interval 0, and /log on, when a mob dies, I get a solid 1-2 seconds of freezeup/stuttering before it is back to normal.

With /log interval 1, it seems to space the stuttering out a bit longer but not as bad.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

I had loginterval set to 1
    And every time a mob died. It would lag me out anywhere from 2 seconds out to 10 seconds after the death.

I finally just turned logfile off .. an it stopped every single anything lag. But I am hoping that I can fix it while being able to actually log stuff again.
  15. niente Developer

If you have lag upon NPC death - can you verify if your virus scanner has an exclusion for the EQ directory?
  16. Whulfgar Augur

Testing the loginterval 5 right now.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Tested the delay 5. An yes it started to lag

Checking my virus scanner exlusion file now.
  18. Whulfgar Augur

Re Added Logs file to the virus scanner exlusion file now. Testing now.
  19. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I have log interval 0 on mine, roommate has log interval 1 on his. Both of us were lagging hard upon the death of mobs. Turning logs off was a temp fix. We had to go back in and make an exclusion for our EQ folders in Windows Defender. At some point, Microsoft had reverted the exclusions we had previously made. This solution has been posted throughout 4ish threads on how to fix this. Including this one. Something from the patch isn't playing nicely with the virus scan, but there IS an easy fix.
  20. Saroc_Luclin Augur

Not running a virus scanner on my system (I know I know...)