Progression Servers - Boss Spell Damage Issues

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roxxlyy, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Roxxlyy Augur

Yesterday we investigated an issue reported by players where raid bosses on Progression Servers were taking less damage from direct damage and damage over time spells. We have uncovered that this issue was the result of two bugs, one of which has been fixed and one that we are looking to fix in our next patch.

The first bug, which has been fixed, is that spell damage was not being reported accurately. For example, a 300 damage Banestrike was never actually hitting Lord Inquisitor Seru for 210. The damage being reported as 210 was incorrect. It turns out that the real value is 147, and this is what you are now seeing.

However, the second bug is that spell guard effects are currently twice as effective as they are supposed to be. Spell parsers will show that Mitigation of the Mighty III has a 30% spell damage reduction, so the real damage output should be 210. However, the spell damage reduction is being called twice, so the NPC has only been taking 147 damage (and was inaccurately showing players that 210 damage was being dealt).

Damage is now being displayed accurately, but we will be addressing the outstanding bug and adjusting damage values so that there will be no change in kill times or effectiveness in the next update.
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

So are we to understand by the bolded statement that you will make this working as intended and keep casters hitting for the same amount on MotM mobs?
  3. a_librarian Augur

Is this second bug a new thing or a long standing issue? How long has the spell mitigation been twice as effective on TLPs?
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The second bug is a longstanding issue. Probably since that spell effect went into the game, if not then for many many years. So the damage you did on 4/16 (And probably 4/16/2018! ) is the same damage that you do today (4/19) just now it is reported for what it is actually doing.
    I.E. your actual DPS is the same. It's only being reported differently.
  5. ShivanAngel Augur

So Ngreth in the OP by Roxxy it makes it seem like they will fix the bug, but adjust caster damage so they do the same amount as they were with the bug? The comment about no change in kill times.

Damage is now being displayed accurately, but we will be addressing the outstanding bug and adjusting damage values so that there will be no change in kill times or effectiveness in the next update.
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I don't have more information on that part of the post.
  7. qweasy Augur

Is this the same bug that has caused archery damage to be reported differently in the "shoots for x damage" message and the "hits for x non melee damage" message?
  8. Quivermetimbers New Member

if the bug has been around that long wouldnt that mean the initial balancing was based off of the bugged numbers?
  9. Harmonix New Member

So for those of us who are fast tracking on Selo, will we ever see this fix to MotM? We are going into PoP soon, and it would be good to know whether we will be viable in the coming expansion.
    YourNameHere likes this.
  10. a_librarian Augur

Thanks for the reply. I had a question about this:

So the mitigation bug will be fixed, and the solution will be to reduce spell damage so time to kill does not change? Wouldn't that severely affect the non raid game (where MoTM is rarely seen) for casters?
  11. Fizon Elder

Oof so what i gather its staying as it is now?

Conflag is a little less then say 10% mana and hits for like 321 on MotM mobs now. Ice comet is roughly 7% mana and hits for a dismal 291.. Counting resists last night i did about 2500 dmg on average on raid targets last night using every scrap of mana. Then it takes me 15 min of sitting to get that mana back thats not including the 5 min resting delay in the planes..

You guys really just want wars, clerics, enchanters and monks in raid huh?
  12. Absor Developer

The important thing to understand here is that the damage being done has not changed. The only thing that has changed is the damage reported. You have always been doing the damage that is now being reported correctly.
  13. qweasy Augur

TLPs don't have out of combat regen at the start, the resting delay doesn't affect anything.
  14. Fizon Elder

Ah i stand corrected it definitely feels like it though.
  15. I Love Lamp Elder

If it is only a display issue please explain

WHY WERE LIFETAPS HEALING FOR THE "INCORRECT" DISPLAYED AMOUNT BEFORE, BUT HEALING FOR THE "CORRECT AND SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER" DISPLAYED AMOUNT NOW?
  16. I Love Lamp Elder

Why were lifetaps healing for the incorrect, reported amount before then?
  17. Spooky Augur

This doesn't make sense.

What you're saying is:
    There was a bug where spell damage is double mitigated, and another bug where that double mitigation wasn't shown to players.
    You're now going to show the double mitigated (bugged) spell damage correctly, and MODIFY SPELL DAMAGE such that it's the same as it was in the bugged state.

This is insane? What world is this?
    Zaggran likes this.
  18. Mad_Mikey Elder

Why do they have to modify spell damage further if it’s already being double decremented?

That almost makes it sound like regular mob spell damage is going down 20% next patch, too.
  19. Captain Video Augur

It doesn't sound like they're going to modify any spell damage. They're going to say they like how tough the raid bosses with MotM have become, even if they weren't "tuned" with the originally-intended % spell damage reductions, but rather with double those stated % values. The extra % spell damage reductions are going to stay in, and the MotM effect on old-school raid targets will be restated as larger % reductions. Does it discriminate against casters in raids? Absolutely. On the other hand, they see how many casters (read: mages) are being rolled on the TLPs in Classic anyway, despite this nerf.
  20. Harmonix New Member

This effects pure casters and hybrids alike, and it is very much a reason for people who have main wizards to want to stop playing at this point. I hear the same from SK's, and even the mages you mentioned, but does every nerf to boxers have to cripple everyone else's quality of life in Everquest?