Question and Proposal: Why isn't the Ancient Cyclops also found in the Karanas?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I've played EQ faithfully since April of 1999 and one thing has always perplexed me: why doesn't the Ancient Cyclops spawn in the Karanas?

If you closely examine Hasten Boostrutter's quest dialogue he clearly states that one location that the Ancient Cyclops can be found is in the plains. Here's the actual dialogue:

Hasten Bootstrutter says:

"Ancient Cyclops do march the land. Long have they lived and crafted the Ring of the Ancients have they. I must have one and you shall go and fetch one for me. Seek the lands of the oldest Cyclops clans. Seek the plains, seek the island in tears and seek the dunes for there is one who is last. His clan was blown from the sands."

The plains can only mean one location: the plains of Karana.

Proposal:

Today, due to Krono farmers camping the AC spawn in Ocean of Tears it's almost impossible for an player who doesn't have a box army to have a legitimate chance to vanquish the AC without having it kill stolen from them by a professional farmer who uses various unethical tactics.

In order to give regular players an actual chance at completing this quest, I propose as per the actual quest text that the Ancient Cyclops be found in East Karana, West Karana, North Karana and South Karana. I recommend that he should have a chance at being spawned after the death of any random NPC but in a different location in the same zone to prevent farming. These 3 zones are under utilized by players as it is and would help take the stress off other zones where players currently congregate for exp/loot.

Each zone should have an AC spawn that is commensurate with the general level of the zone. The AC in West Karana could be level 10, the AC in North Karana level 15, the AC in East Karana level 20 and the AC in South Karana could be level 25.

This solution gives average adventurers a chance to spawn and kill the AC and get a pair of those wonderful Journeyman's Boots. This solves the problem that is happening in Ocean of Tears right now. Everyone wins!

Thank you for your consideration on this matter.
    Aneuren likes this.
  2. Ceffener Augur

It does spawn from the Cyclops in SRO. Not sure if it does spawn from the Cyclops in SK.
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

While you are at that proposal, add in more kill-able level appropriate mobs to those zones.
    I always felt like all those zones are super empty compared to their respective sizes.
    Sennik Jevest, Faydark and Brontus like this.
  4. Moranis Augur

I almost completely agree.

I like the idea of the AC randomly spawning in the Karanas, however, I do not like the varying level proposal. The AC should be the same level everywhere as I believe it is currently the same in Sro as it is in OOT.

I do think some of the original developers were high when making some of this lore though - still wondering why Hill Giants are somewhat commonly found in the Northern Plains of Karana. Oh well...maybe they got lost?
  5. Ruggar Lorekeeper

I could have sworn back in the day he use to spawn in the Karanas thou a bit rare then his other 2 spawn locations.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Please no.

The answer is to shut down the toxicity at current spots, not revisionist history which will ruin our lands.
  7. Brontus EQ Player Activist

It was always intended that the Ancient Cyclops was supposed to spawn in the Karanas. I know this for a fact which is all I am allowed to disclose. For some reason the AC was removed from the spawn tables. All I'm asking is that DBG correct this error and help to fix a problem that is going on in OOT.
  8. HoodenShuklak Augur

I'm not at liberty to discuss why this is patently false, unfortunately.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

You want to be an obtuse forum warrior? Go ahead. But here are the facts.

The quest text from Hasten Boostrutter clearly refers to the "plains. as to where the Ancient Cyclops can be found. " When this quest was created there were only 4 zones with the word "plains" in them. Here are the official names of these zones:
    • Northern Plains of Karana
    • Eastern Plains of Karana
    • Southern Plains of Karana
    • Western Plains of Karana
    I personally saw the Ancient Cyclops in East Karana with a generic human graphic after the quest was created. There can be no doubt that the SOE devs intended for the AC to be spawning in the Karanas.
    Your move.
    Deepwood likes this.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

Qeynos spelled backwards is SonyEQ.

Your move.
    Toruch Fleshrot likes this.
  11. Sonyeq Journeyman

Leave me out of this candylad
    Aneuren likes this.
  12. GNOME_POWER Augur

It is possible to spawn him, but maybe the item does not drop.
  13. Imukai Augur

A long time ago the AC did spawn in East Karana. "a rogue lion" was his PH and is still there today, but the AC no longer spawns.

Why they didn't update Hasten's knowledge of him, who knows. South Ro and OOT are the only two spots now.
  14. Nolrog Augur

Totally agree. Would love to see a bunch of camps set up in these zones. There is plenty of roo for it . . . Heck, West Karana could easily support 30 good camps