What Daybreak misses regarding the group game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Lianeb Augur

Cyclone is one of the easiest.
    Put your ranged DPS (any class in a tree) to get line of sight on the boss, the rest of the group kills 1 mob per min or so to keep them dead and the boss unlocked for your one ranged DPS in the tree. There is not really a time limit on it (might be an enrage timer but nothing happens) the boss doesn't summon and is rooted in place there isn't even a need for a real tank if someone else can tank the adds that spawn on the ground well enough.
    Yendar likes this.
  2. Yendar Augur

The AE starts getting increasingly larger (really big) after some time (maybe 30 minutes).

But I agree it is very easy, I rank them easiest to toughest... Wending, Three, Cyclone, Ampitheatre, Ashes
  3. ptah Augur

Just reading.. some agree some disagree. I was a returning player at launch of RoS.. mia from tds.
    Alt tab or window mode 3 boxer that often just 2 box; enjoy of non box play is ideal... but the feeling of I need this box set up if I want to progress.. so I keep it.

EoK, 1 year past current content but I enjoy the lore and storyline.. was a great return to EQ. The size and content level was nice.. learning the camps not so much.. pretty fun overall.
    RoS, I was not geared and AA for this content.. but I struggled and coached myself up.. with the assist of others in playtime. I loved FF.. when it hard.. I was so mad but so focused on getting better.. high level of love/hate/focus.. smiles. I pushed off a lot of progression eotd and general ros stuff.. I found ST and just loved it.. on my server few people were grinding it. Once I got there I campfire and grind.. no real drama 90% of time. Add in Tradeskill market and it very fun content and time for me. Fighting profit reseller min max type was so fun.. I set a goal at 8% and battle.. very fun.
    TBL, I switched my focus on toons.. and really worked a meele tank hard. The goal to assist friends with progression and then catch up later on box team when the lesson was taught. Overall pre and post tbl I didn't think it was that bad.. if people worked together and limited merc when possible, post adjustments im not sure.. I cant find people wanting to do them.. you either were on the wave or missed it.
    GMM. imho too easy for the rewards offered//DH grib 2.0 Yet like most.. im in there grinding it.. mostly when the xp mod was on.. I could log in and do it.. for xp and chest loot.. no matter if someone joined or not.. I commonly ask I general if anyone is lfg.. is this range and we started a GMM.. my server does not like LFG tool too much.. its general or nothing.
    Repeat play on gmm due return on my time.. I plan regrind tbl.. as I think I got enough dps to do more tasks with my team.. vs the repeat 2 or 3 tasks over and over and over. Double that and I can mix things up.. I plan to continue asking general if you care to join.. we are doing xxx tonight..

Summed up I think within eq several different groups of players vary with skill, gear, focus etc.. so to them the game is hard or easy from their viewpoint. Feels like the mesh of group gear and 1 year old raid is a blur.. and the attempt to balance the game for the deves and creation of content that best fits the voice of playerbase.. is that hard, easy.. or just who answers? Choke point atm is smaller raiders that are behind content. but cant beat content that beats group drops.. so their numbers get smaller.

Loots vs content.. playbase picks loots everytime. I wish I could say content wins out..
    Adventure well and have fun your way. Lots of options in eq world. Smile.
    Yendar likes this.
  4. ptah Augur

sorry for run on blocks.
    wending ways by far the easiest.
    3s.. only order is hard. Understanding?
    Amp is pretty simple.. a bit longer.
    Cyclone just has a min dps check.. harder the lower the dps is.

Ash imho is not that bad.. but getting people to do it without mercs is very hard.. or building a team for it.. is much harder than the mission.
    Yendar and Brohg like this.
  5. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I can see how a single player, in a group of friends, tackling the trials would feel that way. However my perspective is from a different set of circumstances. At least with the riddle in what was it, the tipt trials, allowed you time to decide.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

I could not disagree more.

Lets look at a couple things. That all lead together which enables GMM styled zones to be popular.

1. Most guilds only allow you 1 DKP / raid gear winning alt..

2. Those that allow more, you have to watch out for player's overall dkp ..

3. Easiest content in the entire game right now for current content..

4. Named mobs in this zone are easier then trash in current TBL grp content for a large pool of players on all servers.

5. Best in slot grp content items, and some aug's that are beast mode ..

You connect all these things together which is why GMM is a blast for most people. Not because of any 1 reason.. but because of many reasons combined together.

Allow me a question..
    If GMM gave gear on RoS level of stats from the exact same setup ..

Do you really think it would be as popular ?

If the dev's were not going to make it so that all mobs in GMM also help evolving items come next patch do you think it would be as popular ?

No it absolutely 100% completely would not be ..
    Yendar likes this.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

All that being said. I like GMM because it in fact does help out weaker players. I've guided several of my own guild members there for their alt's an showed a couple how to box out the missions with little to no threat of wiping ever ..
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummm Gribbles HA? Yeah GMM would still be a grind spot for some. Definitely for me. I find just killing orcs relaxing.

But since its a 20th anniversary zone celebrating 20 years of EQ having it drop ROS gear would be an epic fail.

And I like GMM for the same reason you do. It helps the weaker players progress. And if you think it helps weaker raiders progress it is even more so for weak groupers. But we won't get a GMM every expansion. Maybe a FM but not a GMM.

The thing about DBG income is it doesn't recognize weak or strong players. Its all game income to them. Keeping all those weaker players engaged and enjoying the game ends up good for Daybreak which ends up good for EQ which ends up good for me. I am selfish that way I guess.
    Yendar and Barton like this.
  9. Yendar Augur

Most people don’t “enjoy” doing gribbles. I don’t remember seeing too many max exp toons replaying gribbles even during 105 content when it was better exp. . They did it because they need/want exp & it was the easiest option.GMM can fill that void. But your post intention was to have the majority of content similar.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

We hang with different peeps in eq I think.
  11. Yendar Augur

So the peeps you’re hanging with should have plenty of BRAND new content that was too difficult for them before. They need to complete TDS, TBM, EoK, & RoS still since that stuff was too hard and not enjoyable. The new AA’s and gear they’ve earned in GMM should make more of that content accessible for them. It should now become easy and relaxing for the most part (besides specific missions)

I still don’t see what the issue is? They need one easier way to gear up and exp every expansion in order to make the current and past expansions more doable. Not 80% of the content catered around them. They already have plenty of content to do that they’ve never completed. You would just be taking content away from people that are all caught up. They supposed to just twiddle their thumbs 11 months out of the year because they’ve gone through all the “easy content” in the first month of the expansion.

GMM is 110 content (so is RoS) which means until the next 2 level increases (at 120 they won’t be very good exp) they will be VERY good/easy exp. The loot will be useless and trivial by next expansion. People will go to these zones to grind exp. they won’t continue in them to farm loot very long (or because it’s enjoyable) imo.

But seriously who continued grinding Gribbles after they were max AA?
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Nobody did by Choice.. I'm sure some did on their mains to help plvl their alts or other weak mains..

But that's bout it
    Yendar likes this.
  13. Brohg Augur

Also it can be fun as long as there's some goal to run the numbers up as a minigame :p

/GU Combo: Bunch of Darknesses Howling over about 2 hours with 3 Grash no augments in 3313s, 3,334.9m @1006601sdps | #1 Szilent + pets 2,385.6m@(720.1k dps in 3313s)
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

I would like the hypothetical future “FM”-zone mobs to have a lot more hp. Say they have 2x the hp of current outdoor, no AE. And 2x the xp, of course. Would make for a nice pace, where pulling doesnt have to be constant, and CCing would matter, if that is the strategy of the group doing the content. Make it clear up front (a lot of people complain about mob hp), and have some lore that explains why these mobs have so many hp...

Also, the zone would support rewarding gameplay for more players at a time.