Mage pet

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Damezza, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Damezza Augur

I’ve been going through the mage spells and testing a few heroic characters...

What is it that makes the mage pet a better tank than the beastlord pet? The ice flame line of spells? So far it seems like my mage pet maybe out damages my beast pet but the beast pet is way and beyond the better tank.

I’ve posted a lot about this in other channels on this forum as far as building a box team around a mage or beast pet tanking. Just looking to get to know why the common consensus is that mage pets tank better when i can’t find the spells or the evidence i my own experience to support that conclusion.
  2. Brohg Augur

it's built into the pure stats of the pets, AC/hp
  3. Damezza Augur

My impression thus far is that the difference in stats between mage and beastlord pets is minor in comparison to the buffs/abilities/heals that the beastlord gets that the mage doesn’t.
  4. GNOME_POWER Augur

First of all, how about comparing it in the Kunark era?
  5. Damezza Augur

Focusing on late game expansions.
  6. Brohg Augur

There were no beastlords then. sooooo yeah
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

mage pet comes with armor.

If armor is given to bl pet, and bl goes into pet tank mode, with maxed AAs, the difference is small and hard to identify, we dont have a combat dummy that can test that.

In reality, as a boxing tankless mage pet tank based group, you will likely end up tuning your box so that swarm pets take a lot (most) of the beating, that is a lot safer, and you might be able to switch to water pets (with constant runes and good healing) for the added dps.

The best advice is atill: 1) get a real tank 2) if not, consider if you will be able to play the toons you select well enough, considering you will be splitting your time and attention between them 3) play what you find most fun