Fire Trap

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Frael, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Frael Elder

Fire Trap
    Cast on you: Flames surround you, threatening to burn you if you attack
    When attacking can cause Burning Consequences to be cast on self.
    Add Defensive Proc: Burning Consequences rate mod 1000
    Decrease Hitpoints by 188188

NPC's with ability
    an ancient fire warden
    Evasion Understanding Flow
    Final Blade Lord
    Fluttering Ruby Prince
    Radiant Amber Lotus
    Stalwart Flicker
    Tsunami Sol Blood

So this ability adds a proc buff on you, that when attacking hits you for a 188k dd. I must be missing something though because I cannot keep myself alive against Final Blade Lord, despite: using darkened cone of the mystics, turning off auto bash, using no abilities other than dissident shielding and culminating stand. I even tried ducking and facing away from the mob. It still procs and kills me. Is it bugged? Am I doing something wrong? Do I misunderstand the ability?

[Wed Apr 10 23:59:52 2019] Final Blade Lord begins to cast a spell. <Fire Trap>
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:52 2019] Flames surround you, threatening to burn you if you attack.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:53 2019] Stelsen begins to cast a spell. <Merciful Light Rk. II>
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:53 2019] A fearstone alleviator begins to cast a spell. <Furial Renewal Rk. II>
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Your spell was partially successful.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Final Blade Lord has been crippled.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Final Blade Lord tries to bash YOU, but misses! (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Frael hit Frael for 188188 points of unresistable damage by Burning Consequences.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] You are burned by the flames surrounding you. You have taken 115013 points of damage.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Final Blade Lord tries to hit YOU, but misses! (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Frael goes into a berserker frenzy!
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Final Blade Lord hits YOU for 8142 points of damage. (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:54 2019] Final Blade Lord hits YOU for 9315 points of damage. (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:55 2019] You feel no pain.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:55 2019] You are bathed in a holy light. Stelsen healed you for 66135 hit points by Merciful Light Rk. II.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] You are healed by life-giving energy. a fearstone alleviator healed you for 104631 hit points by Furial Renewal Rk. II.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] Frael hit Frael for 188188 points of unresistable damage by Burning Consequences.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] You are burned by the flames surrounding you. You have taken 112623 points of damage.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] Final Blade Lord tries to hit YOU, but YOU parry!
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] Final Blade Lord hits YOU for 11049 points of damage. (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:56 2019] Final Blade Lord hits YOU for 12614 points of damage. (Strikethrough)
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:57 2019] You have taken 56973 damage from Hot Foot by Final Blade Lord.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:57 2019] a fearstone alleviator healed you over time for 9525 hit points by Merciful Elixir Rk. II.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:58 2019] Stelsen begins to cast a spell. <Sixteenth Serenity Rk. II>
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:58 2019] Frael hit Frael for 188188 points of unresistable damage by Burning Consequences.
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:58 2019] You have been knocked unconscious!
    [Wed Apr 10 23:59:58 2019] You have been slain by Frael!

If someone can explain what I'm doing wrong here I'd be grateful, this is extremely frustrating for me.

Thanks for reading.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I noticed similar things on my SK. On top of the weirdness with it triggering, the fact that the effect is not reduced by spell shielding is stupid.

And, on reading it closer, I realized what the issue is.

It says "on attacking", but adds a defensive proc to you which means it goes off when you are attacked, not when you attack. Which, of course, means there is absolutely no way to avoid it.
    Frael likes this.
  3. Frael Elder

That would explain a lot if true, can anyone else confirm this? Eqresource description says
    • Fire Trap - Single Target Debuff - Can trigger a very large DD on the player if they attack with this debuff on them. 2 tick duration.
  4. Brohg Augur

My group of friends beat several of these rares by healing a grouped magician's pet after the warrior got popped. We had to just accept a casualty as part of the process.
    Warpeace and Frael like this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You don't need to accept the death.

Add a Gina trigger:

[IMG]

Turn off attack as soon as it goes off, and the majority of the time you won't die.
  6. Syylke_EMarr Augur

That would work, if it wasn't a defensive proc. :(
    Frael and Brohg like this.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

It does work. You just need to turn off attack quickly. The problem with Fire Trap is you get damaged more the LONGER you attack. If you turn off attack immediately, odds are you'll only get hit once. If you leave attack on, you're going to get nuked multiple times and die. I almost never die to it since making the trigger.

I hate the mez mobs far worse than the Fire Trap mobs.
  8. Aelen Augur

[45403] Fire Trap
    Target: Single
    Range: 1000'
    Resist: Fire, Max Resist Chance: 20%
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 12s (2 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Add Defensive Proc: Burning Consequences with 1000% Rate Mod
    When attacking can cause Burning Consequences to be cast on self.
    [45404] Burning Consequences
    Target: Self
    Resist: Unresistable
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 0s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 188188
    Causes #1 damage.

Basically it's bugged, it should be an offensive proc instead of a defensive proc. Main solution is it should be patched, but barring that:

I dunno offhand what it's targeting logic is, but if it hits someone that isn't tanking, this spell should basically do nothing. Not sure if it's possible to riposte proc defensive procs, but that could enable you to be hurt by it while meleeing it from the front.

Since it's cast by you on yourself, it's also notable that this should be doing much more damage than a standard spell with the same numbers. "I cast this on myself" bypasses spell shielding mods, so it's around 50-60% more damaging than something with the same numbers from a mob.

I'd probably recommend saving a block disc for it if you're the tank, and maybe leaving pet taunt on any pets in the group to play "aggro bounce" with them. If you get it and are tanking, block disc and give up and let the pet or some other class take over for 12 seconds. It's not a great way to have to play all the time, but for one named its doable. If you take 2 goes at the mob, also note how frequently it's cast to try to anticipate when it will be cast.

Concievably you could summon kite it too. Block disc disables the melee coming in, eat a giant nuke every 2 seconds anyway, but slow down the rate from 2 seconds while backing away from it in a circle.
    Frael, Brohg and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  9. Frael Elder

Thanks everyone for the replies, some helpful information and explanations for me to work with.
    Smokezz, you couldn't have read my post before replying. I started out without attack on, and used a darkened cone of the mystics in main hand so I couldn't have attacked even if I wanted to.

I run a very melee heavy box group with war/rog/rog/ranger/merc healer/merc healer. From the information given I guess my best strategy would be pull with rogue using nimble until fire trap is cast, then take aggro with warrior. This is more or less the same strat I use with nameds that mez and charm, It's usually first on hate list that gets hit with them (with some exceptions).

Anyway thanks again everyone, knowing it's bugged is kind of a relief.
  10. Repthor Augur

becuz its a defensive proc and becoz it fires of the basic defensives like parry and dodge u will proc it unless you face away . you have to turn around and expose your back to said mob and you have to do it right away

the way we normaly deal with it is have someone not the tank pull, the mob normaly starts off by casting it then you have like 30 seconds or so to burn the mob to the ground b4 they cast it again

but yes the spell is very unfair as your the one casting it on yourself so no defensive mitigation counts towards mitigating it. and you can twin proc it cuz your casting it if u have the aas thats very fun =)
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Yes I did.

My group is Warrior, Cleric, Shaman, Rogue, Zerker, Zerker. I used to die to Fire Trap quite often. Then I made the Gina trigger. Now I don't die to it. I pull with my Warrior ALL the time. It works, or maybe I'm healing through it... Leaving attack on is deadly though. /shrug.
  12. Frael Elder

Not sure I understand why you said to turn attack off then, if you read my original post.

It's possible you're healing through it, you have decent healing power there. Mercs struggle against the nastier named abilities, even two.
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If you leave attack on, it hits a LOT more often. Turning attack off and waiting for it to fade helps you live. And yes, a real Cleric and real Shaman blow mercs out of the water for healing power. Even that didn't save me though, when pulling and attacking the named with Fire Trap. Having the new trigger and turning off attack let's me kill those named pretty easily now. It's still a pretty nasty ability though, as is uncurable mez on several named.
  14. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's a bugged ability, plain and simple. The description and the effect do not match. One or the other needs to be updated. Assuming the spell descriptions are fully accurate, the only way attacking could trigger it would be from ripostes.
  15. Frael Elder

I get that you think attacking with the buff is bad, it's just that you keep saying turn attack off or make a gina trigger, when I keep saying I never even had attack on in the first place.

That was why I felt you didn't read my original post. If avoiding the effect was as trivial as turning off attack, I wouldn't have needed to come here for advice :)
  16. Xorsazis Augur

Seems to me that this could be easily avoided by rolling with a second tank and having them taunt up when it goes off.
  17. Yendar Augur

I was under the impression that ripostes trigger it.
  18. Wuddane Elder

I was getting this to proc as well with a no damage set up. It was due to my blazing euphoria defending fire aug triggering. I see on your first proc Frael, it looks like your belt slow proc'd as well. I don't know if you show resists, but I wonder if it (belt proc) was resisted the other two times the spell hit...or if you have another defensive type proc on that would do something detrimental to the npc.
  19. Lubianx Augur

So no slow or cripple belt, no incapacity. Then what about things like damage shields, Skyfire Veil, Curates Retort, Shining Fortress, Harmonious (I'm sure I am missing others)?

It just seems silly that you would have to strip any these off just to combat the affect (not to mention that these days you have an innate damage shield, albeit small)

I have tried mobs with this and always end up having a pet tank it. I have tried turning away and have always bit the dust. Maybe it is one or a combination of the above things.
  20. Aelen Augur

It's a proc tied to being hit, I.E. a defensive proc.

It does not trigger off defensive skills like dodge, that's a different SPA.

As a test case, an Enc using the defensive proc mez can turn their back to something, pull it, and have it be mezzed if the proc randomly triggers on one of those initial swings.

Turning away helping might indicate that ripostes by the mob will trigger it, and make it slightly worse. If I think about it later, I'll try to explicitly test that since no one's chiming in with certainty. Otherwise it might just be the RNG messing with people's perceptions, this is definitely going to be a mechanic that's small enough in sample size for illusory correlation.