Allakhazam warning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Ok so this was a popup? So you turned off your popup blocker?
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

That is correct. I run, and keep updated, Norton AV, and have it run scans on my system on a weekly basis, and it has not picked up any virus/trojan horse on my system. Also, if you notice the message on the pop up, it states that the browser I am using is Chrome, but in fact I was using Edge.

And it only happens to Allah's page. I can leave any other site open an infinite amount of time, and this never pops on any of my other sites.
  3. Geroblue Augur

I tell them I don't have a computer. That seems to halt them in mid-speech and they hang up.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh I like that one I will have to try it next time.
  5. Goranothos Augur

Next time, hand the phone to your 4 year old (assuming you have one).
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

I have a fifteen year old with an attitude problem I can hand the phone over to...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. moogs Augur

I just say whatever horrible thing first comes to mind and then hang up on them. Why wait for them to hang up?
  8. Zanarnar Augur

Ahh see this is what a VM loaded to the gills with virius' and malware is for!!

Its even more fun if you rename a few of the nastier ones to very tempting things 2017TaxReturns.pdf.docx etc etc

Because you KNOW they won't be able to resist snagging copies and opening them

(walks away whistling innocently)
  9. Metanis Bad Company

Currently an ad-blocker is probably better for anti-virus, anti-malware, and anti-phishing protection than your actual AV product. I use uBlock Origin in Chrome and it's awesome. I leave Edge alone and in pristine as-shipped state for cross-checking a site that seems to render poorly in Chrome. I refuse to use Firefox except in Linux where it is baked in.
  10. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

Just a heads up this issue is back with a vengeance. Today I got adware that attempts to hijack your pc and makes a beeping sound.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I get that off CNN so apparently its everywhere.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The issue is really with the ad providers not being good about checking the quality of the advertisingand code in the ads they serve up
  13. john5 Lorekeeper

Nice thread rez. Don't get me wrong, such matters don't bother me.

As for the matter at hand: Ads are the biggest money maker on the internet. Obviously. Because of this, everyone wants a piece of the pie. Shady hosting companies are willing to take any shady advertiser money that comes their way. Some of these advertisers have more in mind than simply running ads. It's a worldwide problem.

You need an adblocker. It's sad for the small businesses who legitimately want to advertise, or run ads, but getting your machine locked down and held hostage is not an acceptable risk. In some cases, the malware runs simple encryption on your hard drive(s) and then informs you that it requires you to wire actual (crypto)currency in order to 'release your files'. Even worse would be if you managed to 'infect' someone else. I don't endorse any specific browser or ad blocking software, you should look into it yourself.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Sites are starting to block the blockers though :).
  15. Khat_Nip Meow

Those sites simply won't get my views then. Not my loss.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Millianna Augur

There’s no reason to visit a site that won’t monitor its advertisements and make sure they aren’t malicious.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's no reason not to use an ad blocker. Zero problems here, ever, from ZAM.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well in the case of CNN I like reading the news there. So I still have a reason to visit the site even though once in a while I get sent to a page saying my computer has been infected by a virus run a web scanner. I close the window and go back to reading CNN.
  19. Millianna Augur

There is a difference between a site that monitors their advertisements and ones who just do not care. Every once and while, a website may make a bad judgement call, but it is there response to it what matters.

Unfortunately, Zam does not care. They leave malicious advertisements up for long periods of time despite complaints.
  20. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I'll boot into Windows and load up chrome tonight and see if I catch anything. I already notified Fanbyte to look out as well. If I find something, I'll contact their marketing exec that's in charge of the ads on all their sites.
    Fanra likes this.