GMM Dragon (raid)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Oquni, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Oquni Journeyman

I... I don't know how to best describe this event but there way way too many mechanics and you can't position them correctly because they are immune to root and stun, however can be divine called.

What I'm asking is, is it working as intended? Beat on dragon long enough to override its HP regen (e.g. zerg it to death), and kill each mechanic as they spawn? (And could we look into why they don't show up on the XTL (Extended Target List)? Mez the rats as well, etc. (Wish you could pet them on the dragon.)

To those of you who've done this please explain the proper procedure to do this if there is a better way to not beat on it consistently to override the HP regen? Or is it something I'm missing? As this raid tends to go on way longer then it should.
  2. Rafajafar New Member

Maybe there's some bane thingy we're missing. All I can think of. Totally wack.
  3. svann Augur

hit those buttons harder
    Endaar and Brohg like this.
  4. Rowanoak Elder

If Divine Call works on them, consider what other things may work on them
  5. Conq Augur

The mechanics heal the dragon, so not necessarily a regen at all. Keep the mechanics dead and out from under the dragon. Our bards are more talented than our rangers, so we went with lures over punts. Good luck.
    Conq
  6. svann Augur

Nitpick: I think the mechanics are repairing the dragon. Thats why they have to be under it.
    feeltheburn likes this.
  7. Skalde Elder

Mechanics could use less hp or respawn slower, because it definitely favors extremely heavy dps guilds right now if you weren't to pull them away.
    Xeladom and Syylke_EMarr like this.
  8. Lianeb Augur

Or 4 bards to infinitely lock a pile of mechanics in one spot, while you kill the dragon
  9. Bamboompow Augur

Welcome to today's EQ. DPS checks are what decides who stays farming Teir 1 until the next expac's Tier1 as opposed to who finishes the expansion.
  10. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I think it's even worse than how you are putting it. It's no longer about a good burn to win most events - it's -sustained- dps checks. Everyone in your dps groups sustain 275kdps for 15-20mins on average across your roster or enrage timer for struggling guilds.
  11. Sancus Augur

That's 11,880,000 damage over 20 minutes (275,000 * 36 * 1200). No event has anywhere close to that damage requirement. Mearatas is about half that, for reference.
    gotwar likes this.
  12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It all depends on your guild's roster. Not all rosters are created equal. I certainly wasn't being scientific in my arbitrary number I threw out ;)
  13. Sancus Augur

It seems a little convenient to choose an arbitrary number twice as large as the most extreme DPS check in modern EQ when bemoaning current requirements. There are valid points for and against them, but they're not nearly as egregious as your post insinuates.

That said, I think the rate of healing in this raid should be toned down (there are a variety of ways to do that). The AE lure strategy becomes increasingly dangerous the longer the fight goes on and the more mechanics there are. It works great for top tier guilds, but it's much harder to pull off in lower DPS guilds.
  14. valiantSeven Elder

With the change coming to this event in the next patch I recon that will just about kill my guild's ability to do GMM at all since it is all linear. There is usually 15 to 20% more health to go by the time we are 30 minutes into the event, and now that is when the enrage will kick in. That's a lot of health to make up for and I imagine it won't be possible if it's a "hard" enrage where everything blows up around you instantly instead of gradually getting worse.

I know we don't have as much DPS as some guilds, but there really does need to be some reconsideration given to the mechanics. If you pull them away to stop them from healing the dragon, they just poof off of extended target and run or warp back to him and heal him anyway. They either have way too many hit points or there is an easier way of killing them that is not at all hinted at in any way.

It's a shame, too, because the other two events seem to be well tuned and well thought out. They aren't pushovers, but you can actually strategize and execute a game plan to win unlike Rustbottom where you just throw endless bodies and DPS at it only to have it erased by odd mechanics. Maybe we're missing something? Could be. Doesn't seem to be any hints thrown anywhere in the event, though!
  15. Conq Augur

Keep the mechanics away from the outer wall, they warp when they hit that wall.
    Conq
  16. valiantSeven Elder

It's not just the wall. They can't seem to be kept anymore than a few feet away from him without warping back, or at least popping off of aggro and walking back in to heal him anyway. With the way we're observing it, if they are ever dragged far enough away to not be able to heal him, their ability is "ignore everything and heal him anyway."
  17. Lianeb Augur

All you have to do is get a bard to hit lure of the siren song and then fade immediately. Get 4 bards to offset their casts so that after all 4 have cast them they just spam on refresh. There is a pause from when a mechanic gets within the target ring (doesn’t have to be under it) before it heals the dragon. Place bards somewhere between the inner ring and outer ring on the floor (lure range is smallish). The rest of the raid go ham on the dragon. You can ignore the rats but they will Agro things like splash so it’s a good idea to mez them. And yes some of the rats will be lured also.

Like said above the longer you take on the dragon the riskier this becomes
  18. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Do we get these 4 Bards from the Bard store?

Sarcasm aside, I am not a fan of raid mechanics that assume somewhat specific raid makeups.
  19. Lianeb Augur

There are other ways to do it, chanters rangers shaman, all have punt effects that can be used, hell even tanks can pull them away. And with weds patch will be even easier when the dragon is immune to those punts which is why chose bards. You can also kill them and the dragon but that take considerably more dps than some guilds can generate. In fact our first kill, that is what we did to the tune of 18 minutes. When we used the punt method we got below 5 min, again not every guild can generate that.

Then I guess you are not a fan of Everquest raids, but even so with all the cross pollination of class abilities there isn’t really a single raid that “requires” a specific class, some just make it easier.
    You can always be just a little more creative for your raid makeup than you are currently sounding.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  20. Syylke_EMarr Augur

If was more if Lure-type abilities were the only option since those are limited to very few classes. A rather poor assumption on my part (since Push/Pull immunities are normally linked and not separated), but I didn't want to ask if Shaman/Druid punts could work, preferring instead to test for myself on our next run (which who knows when that might be).