pet tanking - mage pet vs Beastlords pet

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Damezza, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Damezza Augur

2. took2summit11 Augur

My opinion is this. If you want to burn through xp/AAs in like ROS camps go with beast/bard. If you want to progress through TBL (and future current expansions) you should 100% pick a real tank like pal/sk. They don’t take nearly as much work as people on this forums make it out to be. I made a heroic Paladin back in Sept/Oct and beat TBL by early January. My paladin still only has like 18K AA (16K are from auto-grant) and pretty terrible augs and only group gear. And he can tank light years better than a mage or beast pet.
    Skewert and Yendar like this.
  3. Mazame Augur

As a bst. who trying to level an SK I have 20k aa ok the SK and my bst still out tanks the sk.
    I have playing a bst for year and know what I doing. Gear or AA is not everything when i comes to playing a toon. You have to LEARN how to play and Skill level with the toon will make or break what you can do.

As for pet tanking I pet tanked all of TBL other then the missions. I have pet tanked a few mission in TBL (FF, 3/5 of the smoke trials, The wind mission and the ember mission) I have used my pet to off tank in some other missions for TBL as a back up tank. I have also been in group that when a tank go down I pet tanked to finish off the pull.

My point being is Real tank or Pet tank / Mage or Bst it comes down to you skill and how you want to play .
  4. took2summit11 Augur

Yes there is truth to that. My paladin has to work pretty hard cycling all his discs/abilities, but when done properly it made the TBL missions a cake walk, even in prior expansion group gear and 18K AAs. But when played properly, my gimpy paladin will tank significantly better than any beast or mage pet even at max AA/EM focus, and that’s the way it should be. I’m a big advocate of pet tanking btw, I am just saying a real tank even with crappy AA’s/gear will perform better than a great pet, if played properly.
  5. Yendar Augur

Obviously if you know how to play your toon it makes
    A huge difference. We’re all going to assume OP is going to learn how to play it properly. If not he’s going to struggle.
    Jus because YOU don’t know how to tank with your SK doesn’t mean that it doesn’t tank better than your pet. That’s a user problem. if you gave that toon to a real SK with their UI set up etc I’m sure they’d outperform your beast pet by miles.

With a real healer, you can pet tank pretty much anything with any pet. I’ve done the smoke trial matter of
    Timing achv where you kill the lieutenants at the same time in anpitheatre with a SK pet tanking on one occasion and a chanter pet tanking on another occasion. Someone else in these forums is saying they’ve killed namers with 2 shaman dogs tanking in a LONG fight.

You might be able to pet tank all of TBL with a real healer, but you aren’t 2 box pet tanking ALL TBL namers with 2 merc healers. There might be a select few you’d actually be able to do that on.
  6. Mazame Augur

I play a Bst ('https://eq.magelo.com/profile/2257545') and a Chanter('https://eq.magelo.com/profile/2257545') Links are to show AA / Gear

For TBL I used 1 merc healer and 1 caster merc. when some of the named hit hard or fast then I switch to 2 merc healers. Some of the quest named hit very hard and I would then Charm pet tank.
    Knowing what skills I have and how to use my toons I am able to do Progression with just my two toons. Missions are another story. in the past I was able to do missions on my own but more and more the require a group and 2 toons just doesn't cut it. For smoke amp trial It very very long but i was able to do it. wending ways again I was able to box it.

The trouble is not that you need a live healer it that the fights just take a very long time. I have more fun just getting random ppl that are lfg and running missions. The time I do them solo with just my two toons and merc's is because I like to see if I can and like to push my self.

So it do able just not effective.
  7. Yendar Augur

Agreed, I box a mage chanter often. I know I’m forced to charm. You kind of omitted that part which is why I said that. If you have a real healer like you said then the pets do fine (all of them btw.. even chanter,sham, & SK pets)