pet tanking - mage pet vs Beastlords pet

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Damezza, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Damezza Augur

so I am trying to conclude which pet is superior if I have decided to go the route of using a pet as a tank for my box team.

I have tested both out and mage seems to be slightly tankier but the Beastlord's pet heals are significantly better than mage's. also the Beastlords gets slow which opens up more box combos ( I will be 2 boxing). I am looking for someone experienced with both classes in late game to help me decide which direction to go.

As stated I think on paper the mage pet is better but when you add in class spells and abilities I think the tables tip a little bit when everything is taken into consideration. thanks in advance!
  2. Cicelee Augur

How many threads do we need on this topic?

Both pets can tank current content. Both pets will need some extra support on more difficult content, such as named.

Do you want to cast fireballs to monsters? Pick a magician.

Do you want to melee monsters and cast some DOTs? Pick a beastlord.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  3. Damezza Augur

There are many who think there is a bigger difference than you. If you don’t know, just say you don’t know. Thank you for your time!
    Montag likes this.
  4. Yimin Augur

Mage pet is a better tank then Bst pet once first cast ! But if you give pet equal items them become very close in tanking , but the mage pet will still have the edge !

Pick a Mage if you want to be more lazy in your game play , Bst you'll have far more to do getting max DPS .....

YiMIn
  5. Aurastrider Augur

Mage pets are the best and you have 4 to pick from depending on your needs. You also get lots of swarm pets which can take agro to help your main pet. If the question is who has the best pet for tanking its mage all day long.
  6. Derka Power Ranger

I agree with Cicelee just let this one die. You're talking about boxing a pet class, so let me just solve this for you by saying go with a mage. A beastlord is too involved to box effectively unless it's maybe a bard to feed it.
  7. Damezza Augur

is slow critical in the eras of late game?
  8. Cicelee Augur

You are looking for a yes/no answer to a question that is not a yes/no question.

If you compare a magician earth pet and a beastlord warder that is defensive, the earth pet is the better tank by a slight margin. However the beastlord can slow, which a magician is not capable of doing. And even though slow is mitigated, it could be enough to tilt the favor to the beastlord pet. And because slow mitigation is a variable you cannot control, you will never have a true yes/no which pet is better answer.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. Sancus Augur

There's literally a whole discussion of mage vs beastlord pet tanking (including toolkits) a few threads below this one.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Derka Power Ranger

Having slow on a mob is better than not having it. You can get by without it, but when it comes to having multiple mobs hitting your pet, or just a matter of off tanking an add with swarm pets, slow will reduce the pressure on heals. That slow can come from the beastlord you're interested in or a potential bard box.
  11. Damezza Augur

How does Druid attack debuff compare to slow as far as damage mitigation? Are there any pet buffs that are negatively impacted by the mob being slowed? Damage shields would be an example of this(but they’re not enough dps to care about).

Thinking a beast/Druid combo would be the superior pet tanking duo box due to having both the attack debuff and slow. Unless i am over evaluating those effects...
  12. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Unless I have missed something, I have not seen a post-nerf analysis of Druid attack debuffs. The attack portions were reduced greatly, but it might not matter in modern content with the increased rate of strikethrough from mobs. You can check the Priest subforum though for something that I might have missed.

Pre-nerf, I found them to be slightly better IF most were used … but most high volume groups would never use most of them. Hell, most box groups I know never used most of them.

Damage shields should never be a real consideration for anything...a ridiculously small percentage of total dps. Doesn't mean you should not have as a buff...but it should not be close to active damage, slowed or unslowed.

And there is no right answer...too many variables involved, including play style. Go with what you enjoy if your testing doesn't not seem to show a large difference.
  13. Cicelee Augur

You are splitting hairs right now. Seriously, just pick what you want and you will be fine.
  14. Damezza Augur

Stop harassing me. If i want to min/max and talk about my min/maxing... well, that’s exactly what these forums are for. You’re welcome to skip over my
    Posts or ignore me if there’s a function for that.
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Damezza Augur

Although your input here was helpful!
  16. Yendar Augur

What are you trying to be able to do?

Kill the most current or past expac trash mobs the fastest?
    Box bst/monk

Kill the toughest endgame content without a real tank?
    Box ench/mage (ench give you slow and cripple as well as cc which makes the pet a lot more tankable) you’ll still struggle with tough namers but you have dire charm AA to use every 30 min for a 6 min charm.. that can easily tank everything as long as you know how to synchronize your burns properly. If not namers are tough anyways. I generally have to use a glyph of destruction on TBL namers to kill it before the charm pet dies & the mage pet is very iffy on namers.

But there are other variables. Do you care about how easy they are to box.. & how good you are at playing multiple toons. Mages, bards etc may be easier for you to play vs a more attention needing toon like a monk/bst. A chanter will require a lot of attention so you may prefer a bard.

A beast bard or mage bard is going to be able to do the exact same content (because of better Mez/reliable charm).. and not going to be able to do the exact same content. The enchanter opens up a little more content, and synergies a little better with the mage, plus the mage is easier to give less attention too, which both bst and ench require. Also with ench mage you’re able to chain cast pets/swarm pets a little easier when one of your pets die. Chanter pet can be enough to get mage pet back up or finish off namers with fort up and vice versa.

But if you want to reliably 2 box TBL namers ench mage is the only 2 box with a pet tank that I think will work, and you’ll have to dire charm on a lot of namers (assuming Group EM)

If you go back one expansion to RoS either pet can dominate. You’ll still have trouble with a couple namers but the pet tank won’t be the problem.
    Skewert likes this.
  17. IblisTheMage Augur

This should be in the newbie forum.
  18. Damezza Augur

Good luck with that
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  19. Damezza Augur

Awesome ok. A lot to consider. That’s pretty much the two combos i was considering.., Beast/bard and enchanter/mage
  20. smash Augur

Why make this subject which is already covered under : https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/does-beastlord-molo-better-than-mage.256641/
    Also you had actually posted there already...

@dev can a dev merge these 2 into 1 ?
    IblisTheMage likes this.