Regarding selos - keying is the only problematic part of the server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Rothj Augur

Basically right now the main thing leading to burnout is emp keys and to a lesser extent vex thal. No one really cares about your aa or even asks about it but this push to get everyone keyed is what's really a problem. More insignias and pouches need to drop per kill and you should consider making the insignia mobs one groupable. Right now even as someone who plays a lot its too stressful to worry about an rng drop.
  2. AgentofChange Augur

This problem will diminish as the expansions go on & aoc's/instances are available. XP is a much bigger issue. Not beating an expansion in era is pretty minor, and I doubt you run into problems with PoP, GoD, Omens etc. Unless of course you have no players left b/c they gave up on the xp rates :p.
  3. Rothj Augur

Most of the player base is 60 with 20 to 50 aa. Complaining about exp is a joke
    Rcbauer likes this.
  4. yerm Augur

Who is complaining about keying? The rare changed upped the ease of ME, the FG shard was previously buffed, and in general the relatively low number of competing raiders trying to get keys means it isn't that bad. The bottleneck for keying right now is finding people to help you key, not the drops.
  5. AgentofChange Augur

And anyone who cares about getting keyed and killing end game content has already done it so complaining about keying is a joke
  6. Rothj Augur

So who doesn't have all their best aa yet is finished on keys? Probably no one. You don't need every aa where as you do need to key to raid. The vast majority of the server will be near max aa before pop.
  7. Volts Elder

I'm having trouble with the wording of your first sentence, so I hope I'm follwoing correctly.

I have less than 40 aa's, I've been fully keyed for a while. Most of my guild has between 30-100 AA's. I also doubt that many will be max AA before PoP unless they are doing a lot of AoE groups.

(AA exp rate is the problem with the server - you have it wrong)
  8. DeseanJackson Augur

I don’t think keying itself leads to a lot of burnout, people flame out for a lot of reasons. The Emp key may frustrate some, but it’s relatively easy for 1 group to do most, and a 2-3 group team can easily do Insignias. Also, it’s one expansion and it’s over in 3 weeks. Don’t do it if it bothers you so.
  9. yerm Augur

Most people finished their keys do not have their core aas. The only folks that do used ae groups to get there.

I am not aware of a single person in my guild (amtrak) literally not a soul who has their core aas but does not have their key. Literally everyone got their key before they got their aas.

If you hit 60 and then start doing key farms, even if you get very unlucky, you will finish every shard and commander drop before you earn 2 dozen aa.
  10. Ceffener Augur

If content was cleared before AA earned, are those AA needed for that era?
    took2summit11 likes this.
  11. LittleBrumski Augur

Eeeh....no. You must be talking about the average player in the three biggest guilds.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

took me 3 hours to get emp key, VT key took maybe a total of 5....

How is keying hard?

Luclinite orbs are a bottleneck, but you can get like 30 a week if you hit your targets...

bring 2-3 groups up to do insignia mobs and you will get all 18 people insignias in an hour or 2. they have like a 75% chance of spawning with the bonus rares as far as i can tell.

taksmaster pouches are meh but they are a 72 minute respawn and spawn in instances/picks.
    Elyani likes this.
  13. sieger Augur

Luclin keying is annoying due to how it's designed, it has a lot of "individual responsibility." There's certainly obnoxious flagging schemes for basically all of EQ history, but when the flags are just tied in to raiding and a few group missions it doesn't create the pressure of "*I* personally have to finish this thing ASAP", which I think is why people get stressed out over Emperor/VT and on other TLPs VP keys.

The type of keying that is bothering people in Luclin won't really come back ever again on Selo. I think the XP rate is actually fine for now, people don't actually need max AA in Luclin to do PoP and for a lot of classes around 150 you have every important AA and then some. We'll have 8 weeks in the PoP era, and then the AA curve from GoD-->Omens-->DoN-->DoDH isn't too bad. I do think even with the 50% bonus as we get into the level 80-era expansions the AA requirements, where you were intended to have 12+ months to grind thousands of AAs per expansion, will be tough with the 4 week unlocks even with the perpetual +50% bonus.
  14. TheChosenOne Augur

the "vast majority" you think are going to have MAX AA before PoP?

Lol... the "vast majority" probably have jobs, wives, kids and other responsibilities. Perspective is lacking a lot of times with these posts.. you're either someone that has a TON of free time each day and play this game 5-6+ hours a day, or you have a premade group that you hop into and grind content at an insane rate. Neither of those scenarios would fit the "vast majority" of players

I've been on paternity leave for the entire time Selos has been out, so ive been able to invest quite a bit of time into the game that i normally wouldn't be able to and I'm only level 58..and that is with duo boxing, and using 25% XP potions in EVERY group (ive probably spent well over $100 on XP potions so far)

So you're exaggerating a lot... I dont have a single AA yet, and I start work again on April 15th.. so i will be nowhere even close to max AA by the time PoP hits lol

And i would consider myself someone who, from an hours per day time commitment, is above average
  15. Ceffener Augur

Honest question for anyone. If you think your AAing in era, raiding in era, and gearing in era. Did you ever think double ragefire would make that possible while EVEN playing 5-6+ hours a day? (Let alone less, that is expected)

You would need to spend almost that much time just raiding.

The server has never been setup to actually clear all content/gear/aa/grind in 1 month, and definitely not while playing <20 hours a week. You guys would need 6x+ the xp rate, hell remove AA, remove keying, and even then...you'll be raiding more than 20 hours a week.
  16. Elyani Augur

It is fine. Some people just want everything handed to them on a silver platter. I think what some people are failing to realize here is that EQ has always been a game that required time, effort and commitment. Without DBG just handing out keys, no matter what, people will have to put effort into playing the game.

Other games make unlocking raids relatively easy. But those games are designed to be fast paced all over. Soloing is possible for all classes, travel is easy for all classes, factions aren't a huge issue, leveling a joke with dungeons, quests giving good exp and mobs dying insanely quick (heck just moving five feet gives you discovery exp). Those games, are all around easier (even if the raid bosses aren't). FFXIV, WoW, EQ2, etc. EQ can never and will never be that way. They'd have to throw the entire game away and start over from scratch!

EQ in general will never be super fast paced. Selo was off to a rocky start, but it's gotten better. They are working with us on exp rates. Named mobs respawn so quickly that camps that were perma-camped on Agnarr for months are dead and open to those of us who waited for the initial rush to pass. RNG sucks for some people. But, that's just part of the game. :D Trust me, I've liked to have stabbed myself in the eyes at times for how many times something DID NOT drop after hours of camping. But... this is EQ for ya.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

Keying is really only bad at the launch. If you're not in a guild that cares to be in the end zone for the first week, then just wait 2-3 weeks. The toxicity drops off precipitously.
  18. Hinastorm86 Augur

This hyperbole again, sigh.

There are people who care about keying/raiding....and aren't in VT yet. I know thats hard for you hardcore racers to wrap your head around apparently? But its a fact. Stop trying to compare everyone to you.
    Icaen likes this.
  19. ShivanAngel Augur

The only thing i feel needs to be heavily accelerated is the BoS medalion giants...

The other keys honestly have not felt bad, but that BoS key has felt bad on every prog server ever
  20. Icaen Elder

This was said before server launch and it should be said after: If you're starting the server in Luclin with 1 month unlocks, make the Luclin keying process easier.

We're mid way through Luclin, so making changes would just upset everyone at this point but really it should have been looked at initially when considering a Luclin launch. After PoP though, the keying/flagging isn't so bad.