Server Transfer Character Name Questions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by EQOracle, Mar 17, 2014.

1. EQOracle Journeyman

So I am trying to transfer a couple of characters to another server (FV). When the time came to select my new server I was informed my name was taken, but that there was an "Alternate Available". Is there a way to see what the alternate name is before agreeing to the transfer? I really was hoping that "alternate" doesn't mean they just add a generic X to the end. Also I had a character on FV server saving one of my name choices, so naturally I deleted that character before I attempted a transfer. That name still does not show as available on the transfer list (even tho I can create a new char and use that name). Is there a delay normally in updating what names are available as far as transfer characters are concerned? I did notice something odd, on several of the names I tried it told me "Original Available" on servers I have existing characters of the same name on, so of course the original cannot possibly be available. Anyone have information that might help? Thank you for your time.
  2. Kelefane Augur

Something really needs to be done regarding old names on a server already taken. I heard, that if you create a character now, and if someone xfers to that server with the name you just created, that the older character xfering will get the X.

I think characters that havent logged on in X-amount of years need to be deleted.

I think that the devs and powers that be need to re-look at this entire process. There are names out there that probably havent been logged in since 2002 for example and will never see the light of day again. How is that fair to someone already playing if they get an X in that situation?

There needs to be a better and more fair way to go about this.
    Tarvas likes this.
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Agreed with Kelefane. There should probably be some sort of metric used to determine who gets the "x" when transfers of like names are considered. I probably wouldn't go as far as deleting them, but they if they haven't logged on in years then the "x" should definitely go to them.
    Kelefane likes this.
  4. EQOracle Journeyman

I agree Kelefane. I tried for over 6 hours last night to come up with names that were "original". I have still not had any luck. (Although to be fair there were 3 or 4 servers that Originals were always available). I knew it would be a pain to get a name on FV I didn't know it would be this bad. If I had not already transferred one character there I would just give up on the transfer. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for all these new returnees to get a decent name. I wish they would do something similar to what they did during the last server merges. They wiped characters under level 10 (I think?) that hadn't logged in in a long time. That would help a little bit.
    Kelefane likes this.
  5. Phulis New Member

Ive had trouble picking names when transferring to servers. You must choose an alternativ nick, click refresh to see if its avaliable, but even the name "erjkhwermkbwe" has been taken on EVERY server! wtf!
  6. Morthakia Augur

Here is how it works:

If you try to transfer to a server and a character with that name already exists, it blocks the transfer and asks you to type in a new name. It then lists all the servers you could potentially transfer to and states whether your name is “Available” or already taken.

Once you type in your NEW name, you see a new set of options. “Original Available” means that your characters current name is not taken on that server, so you won’t get a name change if you transfer there. “Alternative Available” means the new name you JUST typed in is available no that server (essentially, the newly typed name is dubbed the “alternative”). Finally, there are cases where the alternative is also taken, in which case you’ll get another set of red denial text next to the corresponding servers.

Personally I am comfortable with the current naming system. While I agree it would be nice to give the more senior character preference, you are the one transferring to another server and giving up your name is a fair risk associated with that. While I wish it were different, I’m not sure it is worth the resources to implement.

Source: I’ve done more than 30 server transfers.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I moved from Torv/Fennin/Cazic to Luclin almost 5 years ago, and back again last year.. before transferring to Luclin, I logged onto the server and tried making a character with my name to see if it was available.. It was, I deleted the toon, and transferred, Then, back on Cazic, I remade a newbie toon with my name as a PH in case I didn't like Luclin.. she sat there until I changed raid guilds and came back.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

While I can see where you are coming from I don't agree.

The char on the server you are going to would have no choice and it could confuse players already on that server who are friends with that char, it would also cause guild issues, UI/log issues for the player whos name you have effectively just stolen.

If you have chosen to change server it should be your name which is changed, not the person already established on the server you are going to.
    Barton and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. GNOME_POWER Augur

If I send a parcel to my toon, it may reach others?
  10. smash Augur

Imo, the person who is on the server keeps the name as it is now, the person who moves get a x to the name, with possibility to change name to something is not taken.
    Barton, Corwyhn Lionheart and Yinla like this.