Old raid boss perma-camps

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Foxpaws Dragonlover, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

So I got back into the game recently on a mid-pop server but have been informed that all the old raid bosses are essentially perma-camped. I would think after all these years the old raid bosses like Nagefen would be generally left alone. Why do I care? Nostalgia mostly. I wanted to go see my old friends. Even poor Gorenarie in Dreadlands gets popped as soon as she's up. What is this madness? I used to wander around the Dreadlands with her, laughing as she nuked people she came across that weren't her friends. It was a grand ol' time.
    So I guess what I'm asking; is there any kind of solution to this issue since EQ never embraced raid group instancing? A reduced spawn timer? Random spawn timer between like 3 and 7 days? Make the drops No-Trade? I'm just spitballing here.
    It's certainly not the end of the world but I'd love to brainstorm possible solutions and maybe the Devs will see it?
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As long as they are on a Hunter list they will be killed everytime they spawn, not by the same person, but as soon as anyone finds them up. POP seems to be the worsed at the moment with every one doing group hunter.
  3. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

I don't know what a Hunter list is. I had to crawl through Veksar for my Daily hotzone last night and came across a few named that were marked 'hunter' on the map. I wasn't sure what that was.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Open your achievements window (/ach). Under each expansion will be a category called "Hunter". Each category has a list (or lists, by zone) of named mobs to kill. Killing all named mobs in a list completes that achievement. Completing all of those in an expac completes a meta-achievement. Some of those have their own rewards, and some are used for other purposes (TBL progression? Not sure, I don't have TBL).
  5. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Each expansion has a "Hunter" achievement to kill all the named in a particular zone (really old zones included).

Check out /ach and you'll see what people are after.
  6. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Ehhh, yeah, that's bad then. So is the solution to have the old raid bosses be moved to a more common spawn timer like normal rares?
  7. svann Augur

People say permacamped all the time, but its generally not so. Permacamped would mean someone knows when the next spawn is (or thereabouts) and is there when it pops. I dont think there is a boss in the game where this is so anymore (except possibly progression servers). If there is a name you need then I suggest you manage to get an alt tracker into the zone and login everyday to see if its up.
  8. Morthakia Augur

On my server nearly all the old world bosses (Classic —> Luclin) are permacamped. One individual has literally every single one of them on a timer and keeps an alt logged at the spot. When it is in their window to spawn, he logs in the alt and pops a merc. Sometimes he waits for it to spawn and kills manually.

I found out about it months ago after getting frustrated that I could never find a single old world raid boss up. Not sure how long he has been at it — half a year minimum.
  9. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Something to that nature is what was told to me by a guildie on Xegony. Weither it is true or not, I dunno, but it's incredibly frustrating.
  10. Scorrpio Augur

Yes it is a practice, for various reasons.
    Some old raid mobs drop tradeable items which are incredibly good twink gear - at least at very low levels since defiant outpaces old world top gear very quickly. Or these mobs drop a highly demanded quest drop that is in demand. Or it is a question of hunter achievement and camper will sometimes sell kill right for krono.

There are ways around this, primarily being around when mob pops and nuking it first.
    Probably one of more reliable options is to create a heroic l85 rogue on a free account, get him to the boss location, stealth, and just leave him logged in AFK. Then examine the logs. If boss popped and was taken, you will have the time and your next window of opportunity.
  11. WorriedinNorrath Elder

Old world raid mobs were permacamped before the achievement system was put into place, at least on my server. It is incredibly frustrating. Some people have an autistic type need to accomplish meaningless things. When ftp came into existence it became worst with everyone PLing alts to park at old school raid targets.
  12. Tappin Augur

Some raid mobs are always going to be permanently camped because of progression/quest. Others are being camped because the loot is still in demand.

Changing the spawn rate of raid mobs that are primarily for progress/quest impacts the overall risk vs reward of the progression/quest item.

Because of the crafting augmentation quest, I do not see the devs making any change to progression/quest raid mobs that they have not already had changes made to them.

Similarly, making raid mobs with thought after loot spawn faster, impacts the economy. I just do not see reason the devs would make any changes.
  13. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

If you really really need to kill an old world boss for the nostalgia, test copy and use the AoC.
  14. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

AoC?
  15. Phiyre Augur

I know there are many old world bosses that are perma camped due to still dropping desirable items that sell for a good chunk of plat (or sell the loot rights). My ranger couldn't get a BoD because that in ToV is perma camped, though not a great item imo. Statue of RZ/AoW, King Tomax, the 3 in fear; dread, **,** just to name a few. I always see Vox up, would think same for Naggy since high lvls can't farm them. Most anything that is relatively easy to get to and drops something worth pp is perma camped though. I mean, the last month trying to catch Statue up in Kael, someone is parked there well before it spawns and they don't leave til they kill it. They have the advantage because they know when it died yet, sit there on an alt account all day afk w/ an alarm set to go when he spawns. Every now and then you get lucky though.. Not often but sometimes.. lol
    Shortening spawn timers would only let the farmers kill more because they already have the camp on lock down and don't plan to give it up if they can help it.
  16. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

Why can't high levels go see Vox or Naggy?
    So if changing spawn timers isn't the answer, any suggestion on a solution? Make the items No-trade if thats the prime driving force behind the perma-camp?
  17. Dewey Augur

You want to kill old raid bosses. If you found it up, you would kill it. This goes for the server. These mobs have 3 day timers.

The mobs may always be down, but that doesn't mean it's just because of 1 guy. It's the whole server.
    Yinla likes this.
  18. Maedhros High King

Guy wants to kill them for the nostalgia and then wonders why they are not up. Do you think you're the only person that plays EQ for the nostalgia?
  19. Foxpaws Dragonlover Lorekeeper

I just figured that with a game this old, all the other players have had their fill of them by now. I came back after like 15yrs looking around going, "Hey, where are my old friends at?"
  20. CrazyLarth Augur