nerfing on mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arcane_Cognition, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Arcane_Cognition New Member

i had an awesome mage, never played one before. was summoning yellow pet and soloing blues. today... i'm summoning even and blues are ripping through it like it's paper killing it every time, despite my continual nukes. so i'll delete a class i was enjoying to make an enchanter.. because at least that i know how to play.

someone in chat said blame the mage armies. don't nerf the class, nerf the boxes. you want to do something about boxed armies... end /autofollow

so easy.....
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

Mages were so powerful previously because the low level fire summons were casting Ice Comet.

That was corrected.

It was not a nerf, it was an extremely overpowered bug.
    Arcane_Cognition likes this.
  3. Thash Zoner

What we got was the opposite, autofollow works out of group and pets are weak. Mages are still great dps, but the solo options are pretty harsh in classic. The nerf wears off by luclin/pop - I forget which.

I did the same. Started mage, gave up due to long lfg's and hard soloing, and went enc.
  4. Protagonist Tank

The mage nerf wasn't about box armies. In the first couple of progression servers, they were using the live version of mage pets in Classic - and there was very little reason to play anything but a mage. They out-DPSed everyone. They out-DPSed groups of everyone. Their pet tanked better than most players. They and monks (since monks were using the live H2H damage tables too) were just mowing through mobs without needing skill, attention, gear, or any other consideration.

The concern wasn't mage boxer armies. It was a mage dark horde of a server all playing nothing but mages to EZ-Mode it through Classic.

To be clear: This nerf wasn't specific to Mangler. It happened long before Mangler opened.
    raylone, Arcane_Cognition and Thash like this.
  5. Captain Video Augur

To solo any significant amount of content in Classic, you have to know how to play your class, whether it's a mage or anything else. Mage pets cannot blindly tank everything, so there will be situations where you will need to hold your pet back and soften up the target first yourself. There will be situations where you will need to pull the target to an isolated spot so your pet doesn't aggro an entire train. Etc. TLPs work a lot differently from live servers, on purpose.
    Ishbu likes this.
  6. Trizek Augur

The OP seems to be a little misinformed.

Yes Mages were nerfed through their pets, but this was years ago. Not recently.
    Yes you were summoning yellow con pets, Idk why they have it that way, but while your below level 20 your pets are a higher level than you are when you first get access to the newest pet tier.

So no, Mages were not nerfed suddenly in the form of you're no longer summoning yellow con pets. Its the way they set the pet tiers and levels while we ourselves are leveling up.

Mages are not gods. They are not the single most powerful class who can solo trash mobs like its nothing. You'll have an easier time soloing mobs as a lower level, but as you start reaching the higher levels the mobs will begin to actually become a challenge.

So if you're really re-rolling because the gameplay is different at the later levels on a Mage than the starter levels, Good luck.
  7. Ishbu Augur

What is this? I have a 50 mage on Mangler and the pet difference from other TLPs such as Agnar was offset by whatever change made me able to tank regular group mobs.

It wasnt hard to solo blue and even con camps in both guks, let alone more traditional solo content. When I wanted groups, mage dps was always welcome.

I'm sorry but something doesnt add up here.
  8. Elemenopi Augur

Not sure why a mage cant get a group. Caster DPS is OP in classic on these mobs with classic HP totals.
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Guys, my jboots are definitely slower since the rollback.
  10. Xeris Augur

Mages are... REALLY strong.
  11. Bewts Augur

I don’t get it... people complain about boxing and obtain true box servers, then try to solo on said server and complain they cannot with class XYZ.

Like... make up your minds. Pick boxing so you molo anything with ease in a box duo or more, or actually group and play classes suited for groups as they are intended on a true box server.

Most classes aren’t good at soloing.
    Of the remaining, some can only solo a mob or three before OOM.
    Of the ones that can solo both effectively and efficiently, they’re normally doing this against low blue cons, not even+ mobs in dungeons.
    And those that can solo even+ cons or named, they’re smart enough to only clear the necessary mobs to do it, not an entire traditional camp a group would.
  12. millaa Journeyman

Most of the anti-boxers are clueless people who maybe play for a month or 2 every couple years, and have this idea in their heads that boxing is the reason the game and community don't feel the same as 1999-2001. They somehow can't fathom the changes in society and technology that have occurred in the past 20 years and how they affect an online game.
    TheChosenOne likes this.
  13. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Have your pet duel a rogue of the same level then complain that your class is underpowered.
    Genoane, Nessirfiti, Barton and 2 others like this.
  14. Arcane_Cognition New Member

i didn't blame boxes, i said someone in chat mentioned that was the reason. i also never played a mage before. so i got that one to 14, and the day before i was doing great in ro. then the next day, pet die die die, my char die die die. maybe i know how to play an enchanter, and not a mage. i deleted it and made an enchanter. i'm only level 4 and running through lake rathetear, and the karana's right now to get to high pass for those pet spells. i'm much happier, cause everyone knows playing an enchanter sucks big time, they die like it's their job... and i know what i'm getting into and doing. still being the mage with a tanking pet was so much fun, while it lasted. i was just suggesting the /autofollow be taken out if mage boxes were the problem.
  15. TheChosenOne Augur

they will never remove /autofollow
  16. snailish Augur

One of the reasons the Sol Ro mage focus items have "reclaim energy" on them is the (once) very needed and viable tactic of multiple-pet summoning in a serious encounter.

A tactic that fell into disuse years ago with all the other pet changes that made keeping the same Jabober much smarter 99% of the time --but if you haven't kitted and buffed Jabober up, and have bad gear and are playing in classic, well it might be a tactic to try again?

Also... when you got mage pets every 4 levels it was a bit more even (the level they summoned as) but they were nice to us and put pet spells down a few levels when they spread them out, at least in the early levels.

Never really seen groups have an issue with taking a mage. Try pugging a rogue...
  17. Kahna Augur

/pet stop is probably more effective than chain summoning pets. /pet stop will put your mage pet in out of combat regen mode, which can outheal most of the dmg blue mobs will throw at it (it kept up with the damage level 30 aviaks were putting on my level 22 bst pet). When it's full hp again just toggle off /pet stop and let it keep killing.
    Arcane_Cognition and snailish like this.
  18. Arcane_Cognition New Member

that would require a lot of practice, /pet stop and all that i might remake her again, but play what i know until then. better to practice from square one anyway. i was shocked when i found out mages don't get root! i mean i understand they get that earth pet and it roots, saved my life a few times that guy. but i liked the fire pet for the damage shield, and i just happen to like the way it looks. that earth one look like a golem.... maybe there's root potions or something out there i could look into. earn some plat to play with so it's not so frustrating.
  19. Madae Elder

Interesting suggestion. That might actually work. Autofollow isn't even necessary. It's just there for lazy or impatient people, imo.
  20. snailish Augur

There's legitimate use for autofollow though.

Removing would make certain not-allowed things more obvious I suppose... but at least half the time these threads are about someone that is playing by the rules and just happens to be a multi-boxer.

Call me naive, but I think correctly reporting players actually breaking rules [EULA... there is no play nice] is the more productive route than taking away things from everyone.

If toxic elements are allowed to fester they will drive the rest away anyways, Daybreak does have incentive to monitor it to some degree and/or tweak content to minimize it being disrupted or monopolized by a few.