Hunger Meter

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Apr 2, 2019.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Can we get a meter that displays our hunger? Maybe something in inventory? It's super annoying to not know when my Berserker needs to eat.

Also, why is there no penalty for being hungry? My Shaman has gone hungry for years and not died!
  2. Tour Augur

I'm still trying to figure out how my flying carpet is hungry.
    Gundolin, Roxxlyy, Sancus and 4 others like this.
  3. Brohg Augur

if you're hungry/thirsty, you lose your natural regens for hp/mana

but you don't lose your gear & AA regens for hp/mana, so at high level it makes nearly no difference

The real penalty is losing 1000s of hp/mana from good comestibles, and probably munching many quest items & mob drops that would otherwise be valuable finds
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am kind of sad no one laughed at my hungry Shaman joke.

All agreed? A hunger meter would be fantastic?
    Prathun likes this.
  5. Moege Augur

We did not laugh since we know your shaman snacks on his extremities now and then.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Actually, no. A hunger meter would be wasted EQ dev time. 100 percent against this. Now that stackable snack items stack to 1000, it is so easy to set your UI/keys up to consume snack food so that any big stat food/drink isn't wasted needlessly.

The faction window, which I would argue is much more useful (although still unnecessary), cost us any new AAs in TBL. We had ZERO new lines of AAs in TBL. For a non-level increase expansion that had also ZERO new spell lines (and they couldn't even bother to give priests and pallies all the spell lines they did extend), this was an extremely poor design decision.

...and if you have never bothered with food/drink on your shaman before, why would having a meter change your behavior?
    Barton, Yinla and Tarvas like this.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

can ya show him (and me) perhaps the key you make up to eat junk food all the time to save your stat food?
  8. Jondalar Augur

Find a hotkey you already use a lot.
    Put the following in it(replace food/drink with the items you want)
    /useitem Broiled Raxil Fish
    /useitem Kaladim Constitutinoal
    Flatchy, Barton and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. Angahran Augur

Personally, I think this whole "gorge yourself on junk food so that you can keep 1 item of stat food forever" is a bug that needs to be fixed.

It's the same as if you could drink 100 water flasks then use a potion and keep the potion effects forever.

If you want the benefits of a consumable item then you should actually have to consume the item.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Concur. They should make it so that it has to be consumed to get the effects. That would be a better use of time than a "hunger meter."
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Also look at other ways to reduce your consumption. The Anniversary Quest Magically Delicious reward is a gingerbread familiar that will increase your time between food consumption by 50% so you won't eat as often and there are AA's to help - innate metabolism which reduces consumption by 150%
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

A'la EQ2. Which is what my original suggestion was going to be. But any time I bring up EQ2 /threaddeath occurs. So I thought what would be appropriate for EQ1. Hunger meter came to mind.

I share the opinion that the food and drink system is broken. If you want the stats for that food you should be required to consume that food.

EQ2 uses a food and drink buff. The strength of the food determines the length of the buff. The best food and drink lasts 6h30m I believe. You know how long you have before the next food item is needed. You can toggle autoconsume or choose to feed yourself. The inventory has a food and drink slot, and autoconsume functions on those slots.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And anybody can easily gather the mats to make those foods in EQ2, in decent quantities.

Not so in EQ1. Enough so that the best food and drink are rarely for sale in the Bazaar, and when they are, it's very small quantities for very large prices. So, fix the availability part first, and then change how it works. My $0.02.
  14. Lheo Augur

DBG should delete the "need" for foot and drinks (no one need this crap)
  15. smash Augur

Wor = waste of resources.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I'm glad you shared your valuable opinion.
  17. Angahran Augur

So completely remove two entire tradeskills from the game ?
    Break who knows how many quests ?
  18. Qbert Gallifreyan

Somebody is working on removing the need for feet but it isn't going all that well. Once they figure out frogloks, the rest of us are probably next.

[IMG]
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What else would be the reason for these forums? That's all we do, share our opinions.

I agree with Smash, with everything else that needs doing, this item should be WAY down on the list of priorities for development.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Gana Augur

I prefer the sound of "Hungrometer" over "Hunger Meter"