Keeping up with your own parodies

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by john5, Mar 29, 2019.

1. john5 Lorekeeper

There is an NPC in Chelsith Reborn named Rikkey the Cricket
    There is an NPC in Frontier Mts. (EoK) named Rikki`ti Crikk`t

Both of these are an obvious easter egg / parody reference to the character Matthew "Rickety Cricket" Mara from the show "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I seriously doubt your team intended to put two of the same inside joke into the game. The first one works because the character is a Drakkin. The other is a Sarnak, so I don't really 'get it'. Obviously they got a bit too silly with EoK, for example, Masterchef Ram'See is found in the same zone, and is also a Sarnak (again, why?). This is also a bit of a miss, as far as inside jokes go, because WoW made their own variation of a Chef Ramsay NPC years ago.

Yes this is a pointless thread, keep that in mind before making a pointless comment.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

[IMG]
    john5 and Ssdar like this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

My pointless comment: who cares?

If it makes you chuckle, or is subtle enough to make you wonder if it's really an easter egg, then that's a job well done.

My all-time favorite, with the slow-play delayed bonus, is for one in WoW. Whenever I'd use the bank in Silvermoon City, the banker would always conclude transactions with "hold you head high!". Every time I'd hear it, I'd get an ear worm for the old song "hold your head up, whoa, hold your head up, ....", etc.

Fast forward several years, long after I quit WoW, and I hear the song on the radio. And they mention the band name, which I'd forgotten. It's Argent.... which is Latin for ... silver... Silvermoon City..... well played, WoW easter egg guy, well played ;)
    Ajjantis and john5 like this.
  4. Prathun Developer

Unsurprisingly, it was the same designer who created both of those NPCs. Apparently he really likes IASIP. :)
    Gyurika Godofwar, Ajjantis and Dewey like this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

My favorite npc I'm really curious about the story of recently is Tucker the Chucker in scorched woods.
    (And props to the dev that designed the quest with the halfling, the dialog was great)
  6. Derka Power Ranger

Maybe the dev went with the progression of cricket's character. A drakkin is somewhat normal looking and then a sarnak is pretty skinny and beat. Cricket started as a normal priest and the gang utterly destroyed him into a crackhead with one eye....
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Nniki Augur

I believe Augur, who's no longer with the company, worked on a lot of the quests in EoK. Going to guess he's behind the name in the OP as well. https://twitter.com/jaugustine/status/1060616157852459008
    Prathun likes this.
  8. Endiment Scale Tailed

I love u
    -Cursecaller Fhqwhgads
    Prathun and Ssdar like this.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The Thunder Gun missions in Bixie Warfront would also support this theorem!