Crash to desktop when loading character into gameworld.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Turinbar, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Dedah New Member

Happened on one of my toons yesterday. I would delete the UI .ini file, login and set it all back up and crash. Last thing I always did was make a spam chat window, move filters into it and then minimize it. Log out to save and back in, crashed. When I repeated the steps but excluded the minimized spam window, I was able to log out and back in.
  2. KPW99 Lorekeeper

Add another to this, UI is still corrupting every day even after a full EQ delete, and building UIs from scratch. The game is literally unplayable having to spend an hour everyday rebuilding UIs/hotkeys/filters/etc
  3. Zinkeh Augur

What's weird is this started happening to me just tonight. I was in last evening. Made a new chat window in game and logged out for the night. Now I get to char select, select the char, it goes to load........then the game just shuts off. What's odd is when this happens it leaves your char in game indefinitely. I came back half an hour later and my char was still logged in because it made me log her out.

If its a truebox flag it must be one heck of a flag as I don't box at all. I have one account lol.

*EDIT* Even weirder it lets me log on all my other little level 1's i made to save names but will not let me in on my main character at all. I'm starting to think it's a UI related thing.
  4. Zinkeh Augur

You delete that by what, searching the eq folder for that chars name and just deleting anything associate with it?
  5. Flumpy New Member

In the base EQ folder, there is a file called UI_(whatever your toon name is) and also a config file, which just has your toon name. I had some success with this method but there are still problems, just crashed out randomly and now the game crashes when I try to go back to that character. Likely the only way I can get back on that character is by rebuilding the UI (yet again) and I really cannot be bothered to do that. Devs, if you are done dealing with Selo issues, can you please look at this?
  6. Gorgol the Ogre Elder

I think it might have something to do with the chat tabs too. Whenever I mess around with them I start crashing hard to desktop.
  7. Flumpy New Member

Decided to do a little investigation today, copied the UI_(character name) file to the desktop from a working character and waited patiently for the game to crash (didnt have to wait long, first time I zoned in fact). I then used a simple online file text comparison and the corrupted file had no fewer than 100 extra lines to it, most of which were just x,y window co-ordinates but a few lines looked super janky relating to an extra chat window I set up for spells.

Working UI file :
    ChatWindow4_DefaultChannel=8
    ChatWindow4_ChatChannel=-1
    ChatWindow4_TellTarget=
    ChatWindow4_Scrollbar=1
    ChatWindow4_Name=Spells

Corrupted UI file :
    ChatWindow4_DefaultChannel=1264948712
    ChatWindow4_ChatChannel=1264949816
    ChatWindow4_TellTarget=¸à'x«eK°dà'˜…à' eK ˆà'€Uà'
    ChatWindow4_Scrollbar=0
    ChatWindow4_Name=

You can log back in easily enough if you re-copy the uncorrupted file back into the EQ directory but its not much of a solution given how often the game crashes, either by zoning, or just camping out (game crashes for me a second or so before exiting sometimes, which leaves the character in the world indefinitely and corrupts the UI file).
  8. Peat Moss Journeyman

This is happening with my account on Tunare right now.

Of interest, the server (and a couple others) crashed and locked up last night. I went to bed, got up today and tried logging that same toon on, and every time I tried it crashed to desktop. Other toons logged on fine, on all servers.

I heard some guild DDOSed the servers...if that;s true, all the participating players should be banned. Tried the suggestions on the main website...it did not work. Tried choosing the UI reset option at the character selection screen. Did not work.

Anyway, I finally figured out a fix. I opened game directory and searched for all files with that character's name, then deleted them.

It let me log on at last. Have not logged off yet, so don't know if it will last. It did reset my UI.
  9. Seguro331 New Member

I had the same problem. Two characters, same server (Mangler), game would just disappear after selecting a character and pressing 'enter game' and waiting for the loading screen to complete. I tried deleting certain files as suggested by DBG. I un-installed the game and re-installed it, twice.

I finally solved the problem for myself by uninstalling the game, then deleting ALL remaining files in the game directory, then re-installing a completely fresh copy.

It sucks to re-build every character's layout, but at least I can play now.

I hope this helps you guys.
  10. Saxon New Member

Having the same issue, mangler server, lvl 2 character, 2nd time playing the game, cannot log in. i feel like i just wasted 15 dollars.
  11. Slayan Journeyman

Having the same issue, I don't use any custom UI parts
  12. Burden New Member

Yea this is crazy, not even a response from dbg and this is thread 1 of how many? This company is a joke, 0 cares for the player base that pays their bills.. worst team for an mmo I've ever seen.. sub fees going back to blizzard, they would have at least responded..

@saxon, you did waste your 15 dollars.. place is literally going down hill by the day
  13. Ricoexo New Member

so much QQ,its an old almost dead game that u can still play,enjoy it.Fix the issues like a good PC gamer or shut up and play your xbox.
  14. Elmdor Lorekeeper

This issue still exists.
  15. Maxanis New Member

Just happened to me on Tunare last night while burning one of my $45.00 share III XP pots...that is now wasted. I was screwed for the rest of the night. Tried all the GM recommendations of deleting UI files and DX9 files etc... nothing worked until i tried Seguro331 one's method and bingo i was able to load the character for the first time in a day. Search your EQ folder for all files names that have your stuck character's name and delete them, there were three UI files for my character. Logged in and played, have not camped yet to see if it is indeed fixed.