How Loot Works (need vs greed)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Machentoo Augur

Probably has pick pocket tied to backstab.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Pugs? Everyone rolls need on everything. You actually NEED something? Bring it up to the group and talk about it. You know... like you would in an MMORPG where you need to interact with humans.
    Sturn likes this.
  3. Lowlife Lorekeeper

Get a life.
  4. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

If everyone is there helping kill, everyone should be able to roll on loots, then everyone buys what they want after they sell. Any other way is greedy. End of story.
  5. Thalliius Augur

In PUG groups you always need everything. Just because some item drops that you may not necessarily be able to equip/use, you can sell that item on the Bazaar for a lot of platinum and use that to buy something you need.

"Need" applies to anything that has a platinum value. Everyone needs platinum, but if you're in a zone that drops tons of caster gear as a melee, you're not going to sit back and roll Greed on everything while the casters in your group gear up with thousands of platinum worth of equipment because they "Need" it

On TLPs ive been on, everyone rolls Need and often times if someone truly does need something that drops, they mention it to the group and id say 95% of the groups i've been a part of will usually just give that person the item

Needing everything is the most fair way to ensure no one is getting screwed by someone gaming the system.
    ch0rny likes this.
  6. Xanathol Augur

Did you even read the ridiculousness you spouted? Your cleric gets no use out of that tranquil staff. Selling it isn't the same, as their may not be another tranquil staff to buy later. You could, however, I dunno... help each other get what you all wish to camp? But that's probably too difficult a concept for such a simple mind.
  7. Xanathol Augur

The game isn't about making plat for later - it is a fantasy game where people try to better their characters continously. Calling that rogue an idiot points the finger at you, as under your suggest, your character is less effective while waiting on a market change. FYI, if everyone did what you suggest, that market never comes down, with items rotting in bags for sale.

The difference between the two is this is the item someone can use and make their character better with vs the theorhetical item you can use and get later. What's next? Sell loot rights to no drop items too instead of looting in group? Market's hot! . . .
    Fallfyres likes this.
  8. Kahna Augur

The character is moderately less effective for a short period of time, but the extra money they made will allow them to become much more powerful later. There are always whales with more money than sense who will pay for items now. The game is about making money for later if you bother to think about more than the next 5 minutes.

Theoretical item? Really? Because there aren't a dozen caster upgrades for sale in the CL tunnel right now? It's not very theoretical when you can sell the item and have your upgrades in less than an hour. The difference is not about who gets what upgrade when, but about whether or not everyone has a chance at an upgrade or just one or two people. I think you should be given a chance at loot you can sell for an upgrade, even if it means you might win an item I could wear right now. It won't hurt my feelings, you can literally kill raid mobs while naked in this game. It won't kill me to wait to get my upgrade, and it might make you happy to sell the item and get your upgrades. How is that greedy?

Selling loot rights is a hassle that outweighs it's usefulness. And there is little market for most items, though I have known groups to sell their DE clicky masks rather than loot them. The group all agreed on it.
  9. Tachyon Augur

They should really get rid of need and greed in the loot window and just put random.
    Thalliius likes this.
  10. yerm Augur

Let's all share our stories about the many times where a pug who received a tradeable item because "need before greed" and later upgraded it either passed the item along to another of the group members or split the gold from its sale parceled to the various members from when it dropped.

I will start:

11. Krezzy Augur

It's pretty clear people posting here are pretty impassioned about NBG. It was a popular standard back in the day, and people play on TLPs to relive "back in the day."

So, here's the problem. A group sets up a camp for a robe only usable for INT casters. NBG dictates that only 1-2 group members will get to roll on the robe, should it drop. Otherwise, everyone rolls greed on everything. The two INT casters may be pulling their weight - but objectively, they're getting more than their partners.

The group breaks up and one of the INT casters joins a new group in the same camp. Even if he already has the robe in inventory, if it's non-Lore and tradable, the caster has a strong incentive to NBG the same robe.

In a situation where this person is a guildmate, they have a good incentive not to screw over a guildie and get kicked to the curb if they're caught. The odds and the cost of of getting caught are too high. In PUGs, however, there's some pretty rotten behavior that gets rewarded by NBG.

The best solution is for the group to agree on loot rules beforehand. The feeling of getting cheated on loot sucks - but it really just boils down to an expectation not being met.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. LittleBrumski Augur

It takes the same amount of time to click greed as it does to click need. You do not need to 'look up' the vast majority of what's dropping unless you have never played before. When a non-trash item drops, if the rest of your group isn't a bag of pricks someone will mention that "soandso" item dropped and is rolling.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. LittleBrumski Augur

And there's rotten behavior that GBG rewards too. "Oh, lookie I won two of those that I can't use and will sell in the baz, but the melee in the group that has contributed just as well with the low-rolling dice is just SOL"

Police your groups and call people out and this behavior will subside. Its no different than socially accepted/unaccepted behavior outside of video games.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'll sell him better dice 2 krono.
    Thalliius and LittleBrumski like this.
  15. LittleBrumski Augur

Let's share all the stories about how you were in a group at a particular camp hoping for gear X because it is a major upgrade and how you feel after person X, Y, and Z all rolled over you and can't even equip the item.

NBG promotes a lot more good behavior than it does bad.

There's no winning this argument on either viewpoint because someone will just keep rebutting with "But this one time that happened..."

Really it comes down to: If you want to treat others like a bag of dorks, don't get mad when they treat you the same way.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  16. AgentofChange Augur

I'd feel fine b/c I also roll on things I can't use. Because guess what, they all sell for platinum - something I CAN use. Something everyone can use.

It's a pretty simple concept. There is no such thing as need before greed.
    Thalliius likes this.
  17. RolePlayith Journeyman

Need 100% of the time. Don't like it? Play with friends.

Play with the unwashed masses, and just forget people being reasonable. It's all about that krono baby.
  18. Ishbu Augur

This issue is just a difference in what kind of person you choose to be in the world.

Older generations were able to work together and and werent always entitled to me me me, but many just go with the flow. The younger generations were raised in a world where they think they should get everything just because someone else could also get it, so thats the only mentality they know. As a result, a majority act that way so we end up with need everything so its more fair so i can get the tank look as a caster before the tank!

The reality is, it just proves the QoL stuff made this game childs play. You would get stomped taking tank gear over tanks back in the day because they needed that gear. Now everything just lays down and hands loot over so the whining me first culture becomes even more prevalent.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. Ceffener Augur

Most EQ players are going to be between 20-50. So if we apply your logic, thanks for failing as parents.
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

More like 35ish+
    No one in their right mind would play this game today if you didn't play this game in 1999 - 2001.

I showed this game to a young employee in his early 20's and the laughs I got was just priceless.
    Fallfyres likes this.