Why we should stop boxing on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wisp99, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Grimm New Member

*Old man yells at cloud*
  2. a_librarian Augur

3. Thash Zoner

I don't plan to accomplish it. That's just to make anti-boxers feel good. No reason at all it shouldn't exist, if people want it.

I'd also like a server where I can box casually without spending a bunch of money and hassle for literally no good reason at the player's end, and use aoc's, pickzones etc.
  4. Questnoremac New Member

I am a new player. I have to admit the whole boxing thing is quite annoying. I am hoping that after a few days they will all be out of the newbie zones. It is just weird seeing 6 necromancers running around as one killing everything in sight and similar things. I am confused why these things happen on TLEs. Thought the fun of the progression server was to relive the leveling experience not rush through to endgame.
  5. Sturn Augur

This is an MMORPG. A very common archetype in fantasy is the "lone wolf" character. Therefore, soloing in a MMORPG is totally within the role play of the intended game. So in that vein, it doesn't really matter how many toons you "solo", you aren't violating the basic tenets of a fantasy RPG.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  6. Sturn Augur

If it only takes one idiot to "sabotage any sympathy" then I would have lost sympathy for all the players only playing one toon a long time ago.
  7. RolePlayith Journeyman

Just stop. You cannot possibly add anything new or interesting on this topic. I don't want to play with you, I'm going to box. I've been boxing for 20 years, I'm not going to stop, at best I will just quit.

How many I box depends on how many friends I have that are online and interested in playing right now. I will fill in the missing men with boxes. I'm not interested in meeting new people in PUGs, I do that through guilds. That's all there is to it. Like it or lump it, there is no technological solution to this problem, they are all easily subverted, just give it up.
  8. jeskola pheerie

I had 3 guildies at my wedding, two I met while 2boxing TLP. Times change. It isn't 2000 anymore. Gaming has changed. Most boxing haters are just jealous in one of two ways:

1.) Jealous because they want the loot and XP
    2.) Jealous because they have problems forming relationships both online and in reallife

No amount of Everquest TLP rules will fix #2.
  9. a_librarian Augur

The appeal for a lot of the hardcore players who roll on every new server is the rush and easy money making opportunities
  10. Teablade New Member

This thread is really sort of upsetting. I was actually bummed out that I missed the timelocked server launch last year. I didn't notice until winter that there was such a thing, so I figured I would just wait for the next one.

I was going to make some time this week to jump back in, but it seems like it's just really toxic and just a bot farm. What is the appeal exactly if there's no real player interactions taking place?
  11. Balderdash Lorekeeper

Thousands of people are interacting, in zones, in channels, in groups, in raids, on Discord, on Vent and in guilds. Many have chosen to solo and still interact and many have chosen to box and interact. The nice thing is that you have so many choices on how to play and interact with the community that didn’t exist 20years ago. If you enjoy the game there is no better time to play than now, but if you are just looking for an excuse not to play then by all means use other people’s play style as your excuse.
  12. a_librarian Augur

Most of the extremely toxic gross people are well past the average level and on to farming krono in a handful of toxic cesspool camps. Just avoid those places, /ignore any spammers or jerks and there's a ton of fun to be had on these servers
    Faydark and Appren like this.
  13. Appren Gnomercy

I (2) box because I no longer have the luxury of doing 2-10 hour camps in groups. 2 chars mean I can do something meaningful in the 0,5-2 hours I can spend in a session.
  14. Sturn Augur

My experience has been the opposite so far. Sure, I've seen a few boxed groups but they haven't impacted my ability to get groups or for the groups I've been in to find camps. Don't judge Mangler based solely on what you read here. Generally speaking, the people having fun don't post about it but the few that run into problems do and so that's all you see here. I would say to roll on the server and see for yourself but I would claim that the grouping game is alive and flourishing on Mangler.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So you're upset at a thread which makes you assume the play experience will be the same?

1. This is the EQ Forums. People spewing venom anonymously is part of it.
    2. This is regarding TLP. The wedge issue of boxers vs non-boxers and the tumultuous volatility left in its wake is almost unparalleled.
    3. If the forums upset you, please stay off them and simply play the game. You'll be much happier for it.
    4. Mangler's community is awesome. Jump on right now and start making friends. You won't regret it.
  16. Elemenopi Augur

A simple HW MAC check will reveal most of them.
  17. Elemenopi Augur

Theres a significant difference between 6 people camping a spot and one person camping it in order to sell the item to the 6 people who wanted to earn it in game, but for indirect RMT instead. Part of the "nostalgia" some are caught up in is killing mobs and taking their stuff, not buying Krono to hand it to the bot farmer who killed the mobs and took their stuff.

Point: People can talk about how Krono saved the game all they want, but anyone claiming game system integrity is maintained through all this, is not being objective.

Counterpoint: Until people stop buying Krono and stop giving it to the people socking the camps auto-pet-farming them, there will always be boxers.
    Faydark likes this.
  18. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Psssst... people were playing multiple chars long long long long before Krono appeared.
  19. code-zero Augur

After some of the things said in this thread I've coming to believe that most of the anti-boxers are the sorts of people who caused me to become allergic to PUG's early in Luclin. Ninja looting low DPS characters who were constantly AFK while leaching experience that they definitely weren't earning. Dominating group chat, giving orders about how you should be playing your class while totally oblivious to the fact that the group was getting angrier and angrier at their non stop chatter and non-existant play.

I'd thought this before but a comment about "pre made groups" sort of gelled it for me as it reminded me of a time when a new group member in Mons Letalis got snarky when he realized that the rest of us were RL friends and the cleric and the warrior were being played by the same guy. He got bad enough that I overpulled, booted him from the group and our druid evacced us and we camped.
  20. Madae Elder

I don't really mind boxing. Some classes can have trouble getting along by themselves, so being able to fill in the gap for those times when you can't get a group, I don't really mind. 1 box? Why not, if you want to do it, go ahead. It can even be a little fun by keeping you a little more aware and busy. 2 boxes? Eh, bordering on lame, but whatever. After that, I start to have a problem. When you no longer need to work together with anyone for 90% of the content, those players, imho, need to be straight up banned. I hate seeing people run around with full groups of mages, because it's not about trying to thin out your problems with group content and get through the game (while staying in the spirit), it's clearly about abusing the market and farming/ks'ing mobs so you can ruin the fun for others. Thing is, I don't see DBG doing much of anything about it, because those are extra subs and more money for a stagnating company.

Bottom line, if you really want to play by yourself, you need to go to any of the other official servers where you can run mercs, or box there because it's acceptable with a dwindling population. Not here.